Can they do a hysterectomy/bypass at the same time?

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/20/08 11:55 am
VSG on 02/08/16
I was just curious if anyone had a hysterectomy at the same time as their bypass or if that was possible? Without being able to take the advil, and horrible cycles, (sorry guys) I was wondering if the dr.s would consider that? Anyone?? (had it or known of anyone) Thanks! :)

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

wicked aries
on 6/21/08 2:49 am - MA
I work on a surgical floor, and I'd be very surprised if they did that. That would mean 2 surgeons. Not to mention the toll on your body....but you can ask....good luck:-)
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/08 2:50 am - east falmouth, MA
I seriously doubt that.  I got a hysterectomy 10 years ago and that alone is a pretty big surgery.  It is also in a totally different department ....Recovering from both at the same time seems to me like putting way too much on your body at one time.       Your cucles might be improved with the weight loss anyway.  If not then by all means pull the plumbing...but give yourself a break!!!! All at once is a bit crazy in my opinion.
Jadeyesmiling
on 6/21/08 5:10 am
VSG on 02/08/16
I guess it was just wishful thinking, lol. But you are right things might get much better with weight loss, and the pros outweigh the cons, right?? :)

stellalukin
on 6/21/08 7:54 am - Cambridge, MA
I had the same apprehension before surgery- I lived on Advil during my cycle, had debilitating cramps & was diagnosed with PMDD about 2 years ago. I was really scared about what I would do after surgery.
Now it's really not an issue, with the changes in my diet & clean living & exercise, my PMDD is gone & my cramps are really nothing. Midol Menstrual Complete takes care of what few symptoms I do still have.
I swear the key to all of it was giving up caffeine. That has totally changed my life.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

foobear
on 6/22/08 8:48 am - Medford, MA
> Midol Menstrual Complete takes care of what few symptoms I do still have. > I swear the key to all of it was giving up caffeine. That has totally changed my life. I hate to break this to you, but "Midol Menstrual Complete" contains... Active ingredients (in each caplet) Acetaminophen 500 mg. Pain reliever Caffeine 60 mg. Stimulant Pyrilamine maleate 15 mg. Diuretic Anyway, the "pyrilamine maleate" is not definitely NOT a diuretic (in fact, Bayer should be reported to the FDA for such misbranding in its consumer labelling.)  Pyrilamine is an obsolete sedative antihistamine (something which has absolutely no business being in a menstrual remedy, BTW.) Anyway, two of these snake-oil caplets contain about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and as much acetaminophen/APAP as two extra strength Tylenol. Sit down with a couple of these Midol and welcome back to us Starbucks junkies--we missed you! /Steve
stellalukin
on 6/23/08 3:27 am - Cambridge, MA
Well.. not knowing anything about my former caffeine addiction, I certainly appreciate you chiming in on a subject that you actually know nothing about. There's a huge difference between 3 double espressos per day, every day, sometimes more, and the equivalent of one cup of coffee per month.

In the future, unless you are a licensed GYN, it would probably be best not to offer an opinion on what is "snake oil" when it comes to women's bodies.

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/23/08 3:51 am, edited 6/23/08 3:52 am
VSG on 02/08/16
Which  goes to my original wish that every man should have a killer period (LOL)  just once to know that we arent all drama queens and the pains, mood swings, bloating, water retention... and suffering are all VERY real. I cant imagine not having my advil. That is the hardest thing to deal with in all of this. Putting that into perspective, with how serious the surgery is, should tell people how serious a really bad cycle can effect someones life. Its not just a womans excuse to be a b--ch, it really, really sucks. I have never tried midol, but if it works, Im all for it!! :)

foobear
on 6/23/08 6:19 am - Medford, MA
I was simply pointing out that "Midol Menstrual Complete" contains caffeine. This stuff IS "snake oil" inasmuch as it contains a irrational brew of ingredients, most of which can be obtained separately for a lot less $$$, and one which is useless (the pyrilamine).  Feel free to ask your licensed GYN.  These days there are 5 Midol concoctions, all of which are different, which makes it difficult to state whether "Midol", unmodified, is OK for post-op RNYers. There is nothing in Midol Menstrual Complete that you couldn't obtain by taking 2 extra strength Tylenol and a cup of coffee.  If it works, great, but there are many women who will not obtain relief from Tylenol and caffeine, and many of these have obtained effective relief from NSAIDs in the past. The two variants of Midol that these women might find helpful (at least pre-RNY) are "Midol Extended Relief", a relabelled Aleve tablet, containing naproxen sodium 220mg, and  "Midol Cramps and Body Aches", a relabelled Advil tablet, containing ibuprofen 200mg.  There isn't any Midol-brand "pixie dust" that's been added to the list of ingredients, so generic drug-store versions of naproxen and ibuprofen should work every bit as well. So now comes the question: should someone *****ally _requires_ NSAIDs for severe menstrual cramps choose the RNY surgery?  No one can answer this but the OP, preferably in consultation with her GYN and her bariatric surgeon. /Steve
stellalukin
on 6/23/08 9:01 am - Cambridge, MA
And again- it is probably best for you not to chime in on topics like this one.  You don't know what you're talking about, you couldn't possibly have the first clue what you're talking about & frankly it is more than a little bit creepy that you would speculate about what we might go through & what would relieve it.  You don't see me posting recommendations or rendering opinions on what constitutes snake oil when it comes to prostate health, do you?  FYI- I run everything I take by my nurse, so what I posted isn't speculation- however, what you did is.  You can't win this argument. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views