Looking for more information

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/17/08 1:25 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
I went to the informational meeting this past week, and my consult isnt until september, so of course that leaves me with a lot of questions until then! :) What is the digestion time after the bypass? Normal digestion is 5/6 hours. Do you have to live life near a bathroom, or be in the near vicinity after meals?? Is this a concern? Also for anyone who has had this done years ago..........are you still able to lose AFTER the bypass becomes ineffective?? If the bypass works for 2-5 years at decreasing degrees, what is the percentage of people that will STILL lose any weight after that time period? Is it realistic to expect to lose after that time?? Any information would be helpful. Its a long wait until sept. :) Thank you so much!!!   Tracey

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

foobear
on 6/17/08 3:58 pm - Medford, MA
> What is the digestion time after the bypass? > Normal digestion is 5/6 hours. Do you have > to live life near a bathroom, or be in the near > vicinity after meals?? Is this a concern? If only!  Post-op RNY life gives new meaning to "being stuck between a rock and a hard place!" I used to snicker at people who were fixated on their bowels and were connoisseurs of laxatives.  No longer!  Now I can talk at length about the benefits and differences between glycerin suppositories, Colace and MiraLax.  No, I'm not being humorous! I would guess that the majority of post-op RNYers struggle with constipation, or at least have to work hard every day to avoid it.  A smaller group doesn't seem to have any issues at all, and a much smaller group has the opposite problem. BTW, you really should pick up a copy of "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies"; it's the bible.  Between that book and hanging out here on OH, you'll be all set! /Steve
Jadeyesmiling
on 6/18/08 1:46 am
VSG on 02/08/16
thanks!!

Jadeyesmiling
on 6/18/08 4:47 am
VSG on 02/08/16
Thanks steve! I just ordered it on ebay, should be here late this week or early next week, that should help tide me over a bit!! :)

foobear
on 6/18/08 7:54 am - Medford, MA
"WLS for Dummies" is one of the most comprehensive manuals for ANYTHING, let alone WLS, that I've ever encountered.  I devoured it while I was waiting for surgery; I read it again and again and again, and it's packed with great information.  Every bariatric practice should hand out copies to its patients! Of course, OH has its own charms, too! I hope you enjoy it! /Steve
Sue M.
on 6/18/08 8:52 am - Nantucket, MA

I'm not sure which hospital you are involved with, but if they have support group meetings for WLS patients, I bet you would be able to attend those while you patiently wait for your consult.  The program at Newton Wellesley requires me to attend a minimum of 2 support group meetings before they operate, not counting the informational session.

I also second Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies.  It's been very helpful!

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views