How long???

Bill Noonan
on 6/16/08 12:35 am - Johnston, RI
I have finally gotten the approval from my insurance company and I called Dr David Jones from Beth Israel Hospital for the lap band surgery. I was told they first send me out an information packet to see if I qualify. I dont understand if my PCP and insurance company say I qualify why I need to fill out more paperwork. My question is how long after I get this packet in the mail and return it until I get a date for surgery. I get the feeling this is going to be a paperwork nightmare and will take a year until I get a date. Are all surgeons like this, or is there is quicker way to get in? Thanks.
Discovery02466
on 6/16/08 1:19 am - Newton, MA
Hi there- I'm not sure what kind of insurance you have, but it does seem a little "backwards," for lack of a better term...Did you just find out that they do cover bariatric surgery, or did you actually get a letter saying you are approved for it?  I haven't heard of anyone who was approved for surgery without having seen a surgeon first...Typically people contact a surgeon (it might be from a referral by their PCP), then you have to go to some introductory meetings, meet with a psychologist and/or nutritionist, then see the surgeon who submits all of the information (along with pre-op blood work or other diagnositc tests) to your insurance company for final approval.   If you have in fact been fully approved, then I guess I am no help!

~Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 7:44 am - east falmouth, MA
I have never heard of approval prior to the surgeons screening and appointment.   You will need tests and preparation work but it sounds like you have easy insurance.  No matter what I would not count on anything less than a 4 to 6 month  lead time...
antonietta23
on 6/16/08 10:11 am - Holbrook, MA
It is not that cut and dry. You pcp has to refer you doctor and then you go for bloodwork and and they give you a to do list , you have to fulfill all the requirements. You have to go to support groups. You have to see doctor to discuss if you are a canidate and what surgery he may recommend for you. they follow a criteria.  It takes time from 3 months to 1 year depending on insurance. He will also recommend what test he feel you need. Good Luck
foobear
on 6/16/08 11:21 pm - Medford, MA
I agree with everything others have written. I can tell you a little about my own experience with BIDMC as of late last summer.  Whether their turnaround is still the same is hard to say--I "accidentally" attended an information session at the end of May '08 and the room was PACKED; far more than had ever been to the info sessions I'd attended in Sep '07, so they might be a bit busier now! I filled out the paperwork that came with their info packet on Sep 4, 2007.  I went to my first consult about 3 weeks later; at this point they set you up for the gauntlet of tests / screenings that have to be completed before your surgery.  A month later (late Oct 07), I met with Dan Jones to discuss the surgery I was interested in and obtained a surgery date for 5 weeks later.  (My surgery date ended up being bumped up by a week, due to a cancellation--yeah!) In the past, most people have taken 3-4 months from initial consult to surgery date, although there's obviously a lot of variability depending on the patient and hir insurance, etc.  Have you gone to an information session yet?  You have to attend two before you meet the surgeon and obtain a date, and "How long does this process take?" gets asked all the time.  That's the right time and place to ask! Good luck! /Steve
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views