Newbie -- taking the first step

Dearie723
on 6/3/08 9:24 am - CT
Hi All... I posted about a week ago introducing myself, but it didn't show up yet. Anyways, I -- like everyone else going through this process -- have had troubles with weight my entire life. I'm up and down like a yo-yo and I've had enough of it and am finally taking the steps forward to improve my health, and overall quality of life PERMANANTLY.  I've been dieting and gaining for about 15 years now. At my highest I weighed 250 lbs (I'm only 5 feet tall...) and I was able to loose 105lbs on my own. Only to gain back 60 of it. So here I am, topping over 200 lbs again. Deathly afraid of gaining even an ounce more.  I'm already finding that I'm short of breath again and my back/joint problems have all come back.  I've been researching WLS for YEARS, and finally just got up the guts to actually call the surgical center for an intake packet yesterday.  I'm considering the LapBand procedure... I think it will be tremendously beneficial to me. I live in northern CT, but my health insurance won't cover the procedure at any of the nearby CT hospitals. So I looked into BayState Medical center (which is on my health insurance's "good" list) -- they seem like a good place. Does anyone have any experience with them?  I'm really looking forward to sharing everyone's experiences, and if anyone has any advice while I venture on this journey don't be afraid to let me know! Take care, DD
stellalukin
on 6/3/08 12:26 pm - Cambridge, MA
Hi!  Welcome!  My #1 piece of advice would be to have the surgery at a facility that has a good support system- whether that is the staff in the office, or community meetings, I think that is so important. The place I had my surgery is incredible in that regard, and just being on this board makes me feel bad for people who are without the support & kind of wander around lost when it comes to nutrition.  #2- learn as much as you can about all the surgeries, then make your decision.  I started out thinking I'd have the Lap Band, but turns out I was not comfortable with all aspects of it.  I had RNY in April and I am very glad I did!  Oh- and #3, enjoy the journey!!
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Dearie723
on 6/4/08 10:00 am - CT
Hi! Thank you so much! I've actually been researching this for a LONG time. I even pretended that I had the surgery a few years back, put myself on the post-op diet and lost 65lbs. One of my girlfriends is going through the process with me... and I have ALOT of people around me who have had the surgery and I've been following them throughout their journeys. I would totally agree that support is HUGE!!! Without it, few would succeed.
RazzyRobyn
on 6/3/08 1:11 pm - West Boylston, MA
Hi there. I too am recently new to the board. I am at my highest weight, 260 and I also want to change my life permanently too. I just attended information sessions at UMASS here in Worcester and I am hopeful to get the Lap-band surgery. If you need someone to chat with, please feel free to contact me. Kindly, Robyn
Pam M.
on 6/5/08 10:31 am - Western, MA
Welcome!! I had lap-band at Baystate.  I had a good experience at the hospital itself (had both my children there too so I'm very familiar).  The office that does it there is Pioneer Valley Surgical.  You can look them up here: http://www.pvsurgical.com/ I love Dr. Haag, he's a supper sweetie and a big supporter of the band.  They've been doing it for about 5 years so they're very experienced. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.  Also, have you checked out the lap-band forums?  When I first found OH, I didn't know about the lap-band forums and missed out on alot of good info for 4 months!! LOL Good luck!

I am not alone, neither are you. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views