Postponed Surgery

niddy21
on 5/30/08 4:41 am - MA
I haven't been on here in so long I have just been so overwhelmed and honestly, depressed about having to postpone my surgery. I am a full time student and made it through my first year of nursing  with great grades. Surgery was scheduled for 07/07/08 but I had to cancel due to summer classes that needed to be taken. Now I do not know what to do???? I don't know when I can do it? next year, after graduation for my RNY...we will see how it goes.

ks4
on 5/30/08 4:54 am - Fitchburg, MA
I know everyone is different, but for me I didn't take hardly any time off from work.  I had my surgery on a Thursday,  and I was back to work on Monday.  I was tired, but I did just fine. Everyone does things differently and I know you need to do what is best for you, but I'm wondering if you could spare a week to have it done and then be able to get right back into school?

jereyes
on 5/30/08 11:15 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Do you get a winter break for 3-4 weeks?  I had open RNY and was back to work in 6 weeks.  I could have gone back sooner but the surgeon had me take 6 weeks off.  If you have to wait till next year and won't be so bad either.  You need to do what will fit your lifestyle.  Good luck and your day will be sure to come.
KellyMASS
on 5/30/08 11:46 pm - MA
I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work that Saturday .. but It could be too late now .. if you have already canceled I'm thinking that they gave your date to someone else. I'm sorry you had to cancel.. but there must be a time where you'll have some time off?.. in the fall or winter .. winter brake?.. Don't give up. Call the office and work with them  I wish you all the best~ Kelly
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Girl ..
on 5/31/08 12:25 am - MA

Hello Niddy! Are you attending classes for your RN or PN?  General Req's or are you currently IN your NUR classes (and therefore having to do clinical and lab days)? I agree with the others about how quickly you would be able to get back to a desk and books and be able to study.  But if you are in any kind of clinical rotation you will not be able to lift and perform a full patient assessment for about 6 weeks.  (I am the Director of a campus that offers a Nursing program).  If your program is like ours, you get very little break time, even through the holidays.  Nursing programs are pretty intense. If you are doing general pre and co-req's I would imagine two weeks off and then studying and attending class wouldn't be too bad.  I work long hours and I was requesting to go back to work after 2 weeks because I was bored at home. 

Do you graduate in June?  You could schedule for the week of graduation.  I think you will be shocked at how quickly it goes by. 

Best Wishes!! Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

LITTLE_OLD_ME
on 6/1/08 10:00 pm - FRANKLIN, MA

If you are in a clinical rotation you will need the full 4-6 weeks.  I'm a nurse on a surgical floor and I took 6 weeks.  Not only do you need time to physically recover, you  need time to get used to your new life.   You need to make sure you have time to get in your fluids and protein.  It's like a full time job in itself.  I know Dr. Gaz refers to it as having a newborn baby.  IT's so true.  You need to put the focus on yourself for a good chunk of time to make sure you are off to a positive and safe start.  As a nurse you are taking care of others and give all your time to them.  It's impossible to do that at such a crucial stage in your RNY life.  I hardly get time to pee sometimes at work, nevermind eat or drink.  It is worth the wait and will be there when you are ready.  Talk to Renee.  As a nurse she may be able to give you some insight too.  Good luck to you in your RNY journey as well as your nursing career. Nicole

niddy21
on 6/2/08 6:30 am - MA
Responding to the last 2 posters...I am working on my RN and I am in the nursing classes taking full time courses and clinical hours. The class I am taking in the summer is Pharmacology/Nutrition 5 days a week for 5 weeks and is one of the most difficult classes to take. I talked to Renee and she was great telling me that I will need a full 6 weeks to recover before jumping into clinicals and that I would most likely be tired right after surgery. Missing a whole week of Pharm would be impossible to catch up to especially if I am tired and groggy. I do feel I am making the right decision and the same goes with my winter break. I will only have one semester left and don't want to jeopardize it. I am still young and healthy and know I can wait a year more. I will hopefully be moving to Florida after graduation for an internship so I want it done before going. You guys are great support!

Girl ..
on 6/2/08 12:15 pm - MA
Niddy, that is one crazy schedule you have going there!  But a terrific goal to complete your RN and I know you will be so happy you did when you are done.   I would schedule for after graduation.  With the schedule you have the time is going to fly by anyway, and you are young!   I wish you all the best with school and meeting your educational goals... The surgery is right around the corner! All the best! Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views