Were you afraid?

pier13
on 5/24/08 12:51 am, edited 5/24/08 1:03 am

Hi I have been on this forum for a while now reading through posts, etc. I wanted to ask you if you were afraid of setting a surgery date? I started looking into WLS in 2003. I started off by going to  the new patient meeting at Beth Isreal. At that time my mother who was a nurse was so against gastric bypass, so I tried to sell her on the lap band...she wasn't having it. Anyways, My mother had cancer during that time I was looking into everything and has since passed away. Since her death in 2004 I have put WLS on the back burner and concentrated on raising my two kids, who are now 5 and 6 yrs old. Because I want to be healthier for myself and my family I started looking into and began the weightloss program at Tufts New England medical center in November 2007. I have completed the program, but chickened out as far as setting a date goes. I met with my surgeon Dr Shikora in January and talked about both the lap band and RYN (I was leaning more toward the lapband). I thought he would choose which would be best for me,  but he said I qualify for both and so it was up to me. He said choose the one that I feel is the best for me and when I decide to make an appointment to come back and see him. In April I ran into a few health issues 1. I fell over a small latter and really hurt my back which I had surgery on in 2005. I was in alot of pain for a while there. 2. I was put on Birth control and while taking it noticed signs of high blood sugar (I had prediabetes). I tested my sugars and they where 255  I was horrified!! I have pcos which is like a prediabetic state and now  is actual diabetes for me. 3. I had my annual physical and  my  EKG was abnormal. It showed left atrial enlargement and poor R wave progression and so I was scheduled for an echo. I had the echo, but have not gotten my results back yet  On top of all of that I do have other medical issues. I have chronic asthma, sleep apnea and Gerd. I panicked after falling, my elevated blood sugars and EKG and called the surgeon and made an appointment for June 5th. I was so sure when I made the appointment that I was gonna tell him I changed my mind and want RYN. Since I made the appointment I have come off the BC pill and my blood sugars are good and I have been in Physical therapy for my back which is MUCH better. I am still waiting  for the echo results, but know I am thinking maybe I can do this with the lap band?? I have until June 5th to straighten my head out  You would think  this would be a no brainer, right? It's not for me! I am so afraid of picking the wrong type of surgery or something going wrong during surgery that I literally feel paralized from fear!!  Of course I would want the surgery that is the least invasive, but is that the right one for me? I am afaid that  with the lap band I may still have to deal with diabetes, eating around the band and then of course worry about slippage, erosion, PB'ing and all the maintanance (fills). With the bypass I worry about dying from complications,  the  vitamin and mineral deficientcies, hypoglycemia, and losing my hair. I know that I would benefit immensely from losing weight. I guess my thought pattern is that I have all these health issues at 35 yrs old, I do not wanna add to them. I also find that I feel very angry with myself for needing weightloss surgery...why can't I do this on my own??? I got a friend to go through the program with me and she is having her RYN on Tuesday, I wish I had her courage and peace of mind! I did make an appointment to see a therapist, whom I will see on Tuesday and maybe she can shed some light on this for me. I know I need to make a change one way or another, because if I don't  I am in BIG trouble with my health (I just don't want to put myself in the grave any sooner than need be, if I ran into that type of a complication from surgery). I guess what I am trying to ask is were you afraid and how did you let go of that fear and just go for it!?!?  Sorry for rambling on any advise would be much appreciated!  Thanks.

janice2007
on 5/24/08 1:13 am, edited 5/24/08 1:30 am - clarksville, TN
I am still in the process of going through pre op. Testing, nutrition appointments, pre vitiamin therapy, meeting the requirments of the program I am at before they ever submitt it to my insurance. So this gives me plenty of time to worry and Its awful. The one thing I have settled in my mind is wether or not I get approved by insurance I will have at least had my self on a nutritional program and have had my blood tested for metabolic diseases and problems.  Either way I turn out healthier.  Now I do keep flipping back and forth between the band and the RNY. I do still keep comparing the differences. I even imagine myself during the day as if I already did have one or the other. Using all the information I read.....I try and "live a day in the life of" One thing that did really turn me off of the lapband was watching some of the video on youtube about lapband complications. One person had it stuck and grown into their liver. I know this is "a possible complication" but that pushed me more towards the RNY.  Also I have read many many times that people would have rather had the Rny and are trying to look for drs that will do it for them after them having the band...and cant find any that will. The Rny for me was more tolerable because IF ..just IF i really need it the thing could be reversed.. (my insurance only pays for lap or Rny) Most people who are against the surgery right away, have not had the necessity to even look into this as an option for themselves. And we all know its very easy to tell others what to do. Only you can make the desicion to do this or not, only you will have the heart to look into this as an option for you.   Best advice I ever had was to READ READ READ. Knowledge makes your desicion process more powerful. I v been obese since I was a child (I am 35 now). I told my friend that I had been pushed out of the plane along time ago (while thery are still in it), and I am about to hit the ground. I have to make the choice to pull the ripcord or hit the ground. So far Im choosing to pull the ripcord and not wait for the inevitable. Best of luck to you     :) 
xxkimberlyxx
on 5/24/08 8:40 am
 I think the biggest fear in all of us is the fear of dying from WLS.  My step sister had RYN about 3 1/2 years ago. Worked very well for her with few complications. It was hard for her to get her fluid intake where is should be in the beginning and yeah she lost some hair. Lots of people do but the hair loss is preventable and temporary. She would try to talk me into looking into surgery but I thought no way...I am not dying, I'd rather be fat. But you know what? I was dying. Every morning when I woke up and looked in the mirror I think I died a little more...and the scale creeped higher and higher. I woke up one day and decided to take control of everything that I could control to make my life happier. I was doing my children no favors by staying fat and in my sad little rut. I looked into the Lap band. It was less invasive and my first choice. After talking with 2 different surgeons I decided that RYN was the right route for me. Everyone is different. I wanted to loose all of my weight and RYN was a better tool then the band for me. Do some research..talk to anyone and everyone you can that has had WLS. The mortality rate is no higher for WLS then it is for most other surgeries. But it is a tool...and is a way of life that begins way before your surgery. For me ... it was the right choice. I am 10 days out today and 14lbs lighter. I couldnt loose 14lbs in a month before this. I feel GREAT ! Heres a little stat for you...only 1% of morbidly obese people can take the weight off and KEEP it off. DO some soul searching...have a heart to heart with the big guy upstairs and let him guide you..   Good Luck to both of you!!!
patfan00
on 5/25/08 11:20 am - MA
I am glad I read your post Kimberly, I am back and forth on the rny as my band needs to be removed and I am facing a revision to the rny. I like your thoughts on this.
xxkimberlyxx
on 5/26/08 8:13 am
My step sisters best friend had a revision from the lap band to bypass...she did great. I am sure you will too!!!
pier13
on 5/24/08 8:51 am
thanks so much for your reply Janice. I have to agree that knowledge is good, but sometimes I think it is what makes me more confused...if that makes any sense? I guess cause there are both benefits and complications with both types of surgeries and that makes it hard. I think I feel overwhelmed with all my co-morbidities as well cause I know deep down if I don't pull the rip cord like you described I am going to hit the ground! I am going to have surgery this summer, which one is something I need to decide on. I need to take a serious moral inventory and be honest with myself as to which procedure fits better into my way of life that way I can be successful with the after plan. Thanks again!!
pier13
on 5/24/08 8:55 am
Hey xxkimberlyxx I just saw your post and wanted to say thanks and also CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am glad you are doing great and feeling so good right after your surgery. I wish you all the best!!
antonietta23
on 5/26/08 9:53 am - Holbrook, MA

I have not had my surgery yet. I am nearing the end of my requirements, and of course I am nervous. It is human nature to be scared of the unknown.  But I know that I want to get my life back, and that keeping this weight on is not healthy,  We are at risk just being heavy.  But I do know how you feel , it is like a roller coaster. One day you are ok with it and the next day you think , can I do this.    so good luck to you

pier13
on 5/26/08 11:33 am
Thanks antonietta23. I wish you the best as well!!
drgnfly763
on 5/27/08 1:11 am
Hi, I am also going to nemc and have Dr. Shikora who i will meet for the first time thursday.  I am almost at the end of my requirements and yes my biggest fear is dying during the surgery.  However nemc has not  lost a patient in 3 years from this surgery.  That made me feel alot better.  They are a hospital of excellence and Dr. Shikora is head of surgery and teaches this surgery to other surgeons all over the world.  I feel confident in him.  I still worry but I feel a little better about where I am having the surgery and who is doing it.  I feel like without the surgery I am not going to live very long.  I have diabetes and take 5 shots per day and 13 pills for this and other problems.  I have opted for the bypass because the weight loss is faster and you lose more.  The lapband does not work for some people and weightloss can be minimal.   I am hoping that having the bypass surgery that the diabetes will be gone when i come out of surgery.  That is what made me make up my mind.  I too looked into the surgery years ago but felt the risk was too high because I had young children.  I am now 45 and raising 3 young grandchildren.  I need to be healthy and live long enough for them to grow up and God will long enough to see their children born.  It is a hard decision and I think that up until they knock me out this will be my biggest fear.  Reading the forums help and talking to other patients that have had it done makes you feel more confident.   Good luck and God bless.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views