Revision from band to rny?!!

bill47
on 6/1/08 10:42 pm
Good Morning, I read your responses and you seem very knowledgeable about the band. I am considering weight loss surgery and prefer the "band" for the obvious reasons that it is reverseable and less evasive surgery. As someone that had the surgery would you do it again, not have surgery at all or go with the RNY?  any advice that you can give would be appreciated Thanks Bill
obrienbus18
on 6/2/08 2:11 am - Linwood, MA
Good morning Bill,  I had band surgery 2 years ago.  My biggest problem was not being able to keep good food down, such as meats and fruits(no matter how much I chewed). The problem was I could eat all the cookies, potato chips, and junk food down with no vomitting.  If you are someone who likes sweets and junk food I would not recommend the band.  If your main problem is just eating large meals it may help.  I chose the band for the same reasons you have.  It was a safer way to lose weight and it was reversable.  I wish I listened to my gut and went with RNY 2 years ago, I feel I was just to afraid and listened to everyone else instead of myself.  The best thing that could have happened is that by band is not working, the fluids will not tighten my band.  My Dr. knows how frustrated I was with the band and suggested that we do a revision to RNY. I am know ready to do this and I am not worried. I just wish someone would have told me more about the band before I chose my surgery. Best of luck with your decision, it is not an easy one...Debbie
IncredibleFeeling
on 6/2/08 3:45 am - MA
Bill,  I chose the band because it was the right choice for me. Would I have done the RNY, absolutely not! With that being said...I'm not against it for others, just against it for my body.  You really need to do your research and look at all the pros and cons. You need to decide what will fit your lifestyle, eating habits and future best. You always have to keep in mind that your choice may fail you or you may fail your choice. I think too many people go in with the expectation that they will be thin within weeks and it's going to be easy. Absolutely not true! Whether you do the band, you'll work hard now. If you do the RNY, you'll work hard later! That's my opinion!!! I'd rather work harder now!   The band is not easy...you have to work for it. It is alot easier then dieting for me anyways. Some will tell you differently. Everyone's experience is different with every surgery choice so I really can't give you much info.   Yes...I'd do it again!  My only advice to you is to keep an open mind with all options. Don't just read the negatives!  Look what's best for you and only you. You will never have the same outcome as someone else.  
220/156/130
obrienbus18
on 5/31/08 8:27 am - Linwood, MA
Hi Kerry, I had lap-band surgery 2 years ago.  It did not work, I have had problems from day one of losing weight.  I was not satisfied with the band at all.  Fortunately, my band has a problem, it cannot hold any fluids to tighten it.  This began in November.  My Dr. is going to convert me to an RNY on June 24th.  Is your band tightening, or can you eat what ever you want without vomitting?  Maybe your band is not tightening.  When you get it filled does it show that the liquid is filling?  If your band isn't tightening and you can eat what you want without any consequences then it is not filled. I understand you 100%.  I feel so fortunate to be able to start over.  I would never recommend the band to anyone!!!  Best of luck....Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/08 8:48 am - east falmouth, MA
HI again...I am really sorry I called the doctor a jerk and even worst that I assumed wrong.  I got blasted a few weeks ago on these boards too and it hurt a lot too... Please accept my apology!!!     I was just hoping to say something useful and it turned out causing a mess.   For what it's worth I really do feel for you and hope you will make an appointment with DR Lautz...He is a really remarkable and compassionate man.  I saw him for the info session and will be having my surgery with his associate dr Vernon ( only because his schedule iwas so full...now , as it turns out I cant get the surgery until november anyway so thats a non point...whatever,,,) Personally I think you have every right to vent on these boards without being blasted...Really sorry I played a part in that process...  Keep the faith and let me know if you get in to see DR Lautz...maybe by the time you get  in to see him and  get this mess rectified we will be RNY buddies.... It WILL all be ok...LOve and HUGS and very good wishes...         suzle
nicunicu2002
on 5/22/08 6:22 am - Sharon, MA
Go and see Dr. Lautz at Brigham and Womens.  He is difficult to get into and only sees patients in the office on thursdays but he told me that he does the LB-RNY revision when I went to see him for my first appt.  He is also know to get referred to clean up other physicians 'messes' he is incredible and you will love him
mjreyn
on 5/29/08 12:33 pm - Waltham, MA
Hi Kerry,  I had a revision from Lap to RNY in November '07.  I had mine done by Dr. Shikora at Tufts.  I know that he had done other revisions in the past.  I had a horrible time with my band.  Good luck!  Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views