Revision from band to rny?!!

Mschif78
on 5/20/08 10:05 am - Southeastern, MA
Im STILL looking for a lap band to rny revision!  I can not find a damn soul to do it on me.  MY surgeon wont, b/c she has never done one nor anyone in her practice.  She told me to call UMASS medical center- I did and they want all the documentation that something is wrong with the band.  Problem is nothing is techinically WRONG with the band.  Yes I have unusual discomfort in my abdomen but i have had a barium swallow and all is well.   I just havent lost any weight and I have had 3-4 fills and the dr told me she wont do anymore b/c she said it wont help- i dont really understand why.   All the other places I called wont even really see me.  I just dont know what to do.  I found one place online but it is in Texas and I am in MA and i really hate to go all the way there.  On top of that my dr said dont go to TX b/c dr's dont like that and you will have no one to follow up on u. Where the heck did you guys go and why am *I* having such a hard time?? Advice? Kerry
DCGirl26
on 5/20/08 11:10 pm - London, UK
Look into Tufts Medical Center they are a Center of Excellence. I know they do newer stuff like the sleeve and stomaphyx so they probably would do a revision. Good luck!
Sue M.
on 5/21/08 2:08 am - Nantucket, MA
From the one information session i went to at Brigham and Women's, it sounded like Dr. Lautz has done many of these - so you may want to check them out.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/08 2:52 am - east falmouth, MA
Dr Lautz at Brigham is a good bet...But have you any idea why your band isn't working...? Is the problem with your eating?  You didn't mention anything about what you are eating and that does matter.   Better get that looked into because it is key..  Im not trying to be judgemental and forgive me but with the band your calorie intake should be down and the weight should be too.      I do understand and support your hopes of a revision but f the core issue is the food it will catch up again anyway.   Very best of luck and take care
Mschif78
on 5/21/08 9:08 am - Southeastern, MA
Well I do think SOME of the core issue is the food BUT with that being said- i eat a HELL of alot less than I used too but maybe still too much to lose?  Im not sure but I know I was pissed b/c my dr actually told me to take Alli, or join jenny craig, OR to actually go on and all liquid diet through her nutrition office.  I was pissed b/c im like HELLOOOOO if i could do jenny craig i would have done it without surgery!  why in the heck get the surgery if i need a liquid diet????  I dont know I am just so frustrated!  I have done everything that they asked- the amount of the fill, the nutrition appts, the barium swallow and I still have only lost like 10 lbs and I still have discomfort in my abdomen.  its a weird feeling, its so hard to describe but It feels like i have been doing sit ups for days.  thats been going on for a long time and im just sick of it!  i hate this band and I was stupid not to get RNY in the first place! Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/08 11:08 pm - east falmouth, MA
Your doctor sounds like a jerk!   I am seeing Dr Vernon at Brighams...she is Partners with Dr. Lautz... I have been through all their pre op stuff and seen the nutritionist and all that and they are a top notch group of people...very compassionate .  I think Brigham also has a nutrition only Weight loss program too.       I bet you could get where you need to be with their help.   I totally get the desire to upgrade to the RNY...This must be awful for you!.    I found a lot of compassion from the practice at Brighams and I bet one way or another they would help you with all aspects of the weight loss issues you face.  I know they have an ongoing nutrition program and that they do revisions there.  Brighams is one of the best hospitals in the world and their staff reflects that.      They have information sessions every month or so and I went to one with Dr Lautz...He was so incredibly patient with allllll the questions..( including the truly stupip ones!)  It was impressive.  Maybe you want to attend one next time..  they have them on their website and you can sign up.     I know it is inconvenient in Boston...but as someone who has been treated in that hospital on other occassions I think you will ultimately find the inconvenience to be worthwhile.         I first wanted the lap band but the hunger squelching quality of the RNY convinced me otherwise...I KNOW i would outeat the lapband!!!!  And the fill and mainetnance issues would drive me bug nuts!  Personally I am hoping for a successful RNY WITH DUMPING Syndrome so I will be severely repremanded as soon as I mess up...Aversion therapy ya know...fear is a wonderful motivator for me.   GOOOOOOD LUCK and persevere!    
IncredibleFeeling
on 5/22/08 8:54 am - MA

Kerry, I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time with your band.  With that being said and having Dr. Ryder as my surgeon...there are 2 sides to every story.  I don't think Dr. Ryder gave you that advice she did because she just didn't care or as the poster below said...she's a jerk. She is a very caring surgeon! If you go to the main LapBand board...many there will tell you it sometimes takes over 5, 6, 7 fills before you get restriction. Based on my experience with Dr. Ryder...I'm getting the feeling she gave you the advice she did because she feels your major problem is food choices and intake. The advice she gave you all stems back to how to eat. ALSO....the higher the fill you have, if you continue to eat around the band...you create a greater risk of having a band slip or a pouch dialution. The band is not going to loose the weight for you, you have to work at it. It is only going to help curb the appetite once you receive adequate restriction. Again, you'll still have to work for it. Many do eat around the band. Solid protein is key! Measuring your food is key. You will not get or feel full with anything that is not solid protein.  

I wish you alot of luck. I hope you are able to get the help you need. I will say this....many RNY'er do gain back some or all of their weight after a few years because they slip back into old eating habits. Once that pouch is stretched out...your RNY is no longer going to work in your favor. I know of several people...not from this site either. You need to learn how to eat properly whether you are a bandster or a RNY'er! I think seeing the nutritionist or joining WW is not a bad idea for you. Many still do it months, even years out. Good luck!

220/156/130
Mschif78
on 5/22/08 9:30 am, edited 5/22/08 9:37 am - Southeastern, MA
OK here's the thing.  I choose not to tell the whole story here b/c it would take 3 pages of me to write.  So OBVIOUSLY you dont know everything about it, since i havent written it.  I had problems with my band since day ONE.  Dr Ryder knows this and we have discussed it.  Im not saying she is not compassionate, I am saying that she chooses not to give me any more fills b/c of the PROBLEMS i have with the band NOT the eating.  Thats number 1.  Number 2- She is actually trying to help me get the RNY by speaking directly with Dr Pohl and asking if he would do a revision.  Problem is - He doesnt DO revisions, like Dr Ryder.  She then referred me to call UMASS medical center.  So please dont assume that I am "eating around my band".  I have had issues with the band you have no clue about.  Oh and by the way Dr Ryder absolutely told me to try ALLI or to go on an all liquid diet.  The reason I chose not to do the all liquid diet is b/c she said I would need to be monitored by her nutrition woman.  I dont WANT to go up to Providence all the time for that stuff.    SO by saying it takes 5,6,7 fills- that does not pertain to me.  Like I said I havent had 2 seperate barium swallows to look for problems for nothing.  I havent cried in her office that this band is causing me pain BUT I was willing to take the pain if it meant losing weight, for nothing.  I was Dr Ryder's 1st or 2nd lap band patient, so we go back.  AND another thing-When I told Dr Ryder that this was just like one big DIET and not surgically helping like its supposed to- she said that I was her FIRST patient to mention it felt like a diet.  OH and another thing- the BAND fails alot of people- GOOGLE IT.  Dr Ryder herself even said Dr Roye and herself have patients that DO NOT lose with the band.  I am still appalled at how you JUMPED TO CONCLUSIONS and said Dr Ryder thinks my problem is food intake.  You have no clue.  You are responding to what OTHERS have said mostly.  Try going back and reading MY posts only and then maybe you'll get a clue before you going running back to Ryder and tell her *I* said she was a jerk.  It just seems like your the type.  Kerry
IncredibleFeeling
on 5/23/08 5:34 am - MA
You are very defensive....I was not judging you, only trying to give you some advice! 1) Telling 1/2 the story is never a good thing! 2) You say you've had problems since day one. Ok.  You have now hid your profile...hmmm! I recall you once saying (on the RI board) ...you were over a year out and had not been to see Dr. Ryder in approx. a year because you have not lost weight and you were afraid she was going to blame you. I was one that told you to go see her. I recall you saying you had one or 2 fills. Waiting all that time probably did nothing for those fills. Then you went back the begining of this year after a year from your last fill. I don't know what happened other then you saying Dr. Ryder was understanding.  3) You said  "I am saying that she chooses not to give me any more fills b/c of the PROBLEMS i have with the band NOT the eating." I have to wonder...other then losing no weight...now much problems could you of been having...you avoided her for about a year?  3) "So please dont assume that I am "eating around my band" You admitting in another post here that eating was part of the problem. I did not accuse you of eating around the band. I simply reminded you that if you were, the band was not going to work. No where did I say "you are eating around your band. I said if you were.... 4) "I have had issues with the band you have no clue about." I don't doubt that...I'm no mind reader...I can only comment from what you say on this board...not what you fail to leave out.   5) "Oh and by the way Dr Ryder absolutely told me to try ALLI or to go on an all liquid diet.  The reason I chose not to do the all liquid diet is b/c she said I would need to be monitored by her nutrition woman.  I dont WANT to go up to Providence all the time for that stuff." Where did I say she never said that? Again...I'm no mind reader. I simply said there are 2 sides to every story. I said based on what she said..it all stemmed back to eating so I felt that Dr. Ryder was worried about your eating habits. I am taking a educated guess based on the facts you left. You are not willing to drive to Providence to be supervised by a nutritionist but you now want to travel to Boston?  6) "SO by saying it takes 5,6,7 fills- that does not pertain to me." Has that been verified? You have not had 5, 6, 7 fills. Infact you want more fills that you stated Dr. Ryder said it wouldn't do any good and you don't understand why. As far as the fill count, that's based on what I've read here and what Dr. Ryder has said. And no where did I say in ALL cases.   7)  "I havent cried in her office that this band is causing me pain BUT I was willing to take the pain if it meant losing weight, for nothing." This is about health...this is why we all have chosen some sort of WLS. If you are in that much pain that you feel the need to cry (other then frustration) , you need to address that with Dr. Ryder. No amount of pain is worth keeping your month shut if you are going to loose weight. What kinda life would that be...to only find out later that you could of been avoiding a much more serious problem!  8) "I was Dr Ryder's 1st or 2nd lap band patient, so we go back." I knew this...I read it in your profile. The good thing is...she's further out now and knows alot more about WLS. Dr. Ryder is a lap. surgeon... we go way back too...The entire year of 2005. Never have I once seen her not listen or take all accounts into matter. 9) "OH and another thing- the BAND fails alot of people- GOOGLE IT."   I don't need to google it. I knew that before I had surgery myself. I never said otherwise! Infact...google all your options, you'll see WLS doesn't work for everyone, short term or long term! 10) "I am still appalled at how you JUMPED TO CONCLUSIONS and said Dr Ryder thinks my problem is food intake." I spoke from your info. I said "I think" that was the reason based on the info you left! I wasn't jumping to conclusions, only looking at things as I saw them. As I said earlier...I'm no mind reader. I don't know what Dr. Ryder's thoughts are...nor yours!  11) "You are responding to what OTHERS have said mostly." What others would that be? I'm responding based on what I've learned from experienced people (that have actually had the surgery) and for anyone that reads this site knows that everyone is different!  12) "AND another thing-When I told Dr Ryder that this was just like one big DIET and not surgically helping like its supposed to- she said that I was her FIRST patient to mention it felt like a diet." YOU are basing that on one surgeons opinion (Dr. Ryder has never had WLS!) ....read the boards and you'll find out that this is a problem among many who have not received adequate restriction yet. This was something you should of been aware of prior to having the procedure. 13) "Try going back and reading MY posts only and then maybe you'll get a clue before you going running back to Ryder and tell her *I* said she was a jerk.  It just seems like your the type."  Jumping to conclusions? Where did I say you said Dr. Ryder was a jerk???? Dr. Ryder is a big girl...these boards are open to all the surgeons. If Dr. Ryder is worried about what people are saying about her...she can read for herself. She doesn't need me or anyone else running to her like a child to tattle tale.  Last but not least....My type huh?..... that's quite comical and immature!  I find your response very defensive. I did not jump on you...only gave my opinion on a public board based on your facts. It seems to me there's alot more to your story that you feel to admit! You need to get to the bottom of your situation because putting a bandaid over it isn't going to help you in the long run. Good luck! 
220/156/130
Mschif78
on 5/23/08 5:47 am - Southeastern, MA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs