gastric bypass at Tufts New England Medical Center

drgnfly763
on 5/11/08 12:46 pm
Hi, i have just started the process of getting approved for gastric bypass surgery at TNEMC..  Has anyone had their surgery there??  I am wondering about some of the pre op requirments.  Do you have to do a liquid diet for weeks before surgery or is it a 24 hour thing?  I am nervous and excited.  I know i am making the right decision.  Can someone tell me something about the pre op and how things went for them the day of surgery and how their experience was.  Thank you
LauraAMoore
on 5/12/08 8:14 am
I used New England Medical Center, I really liked working with them, however the travel in and out of boston and parking, made it an all day event and difficult for me to do. There were no liquid diets before surgery. However I did have to lose some weight before the surgery. I did have to take a five week course, See the Phych and fitness guy as well as the nutritionalist, and sugeorn. Surgery day seemed fast I was filling out papers, signing paper work, and I was all of a sudden in the room and they were ready to go. I went home with 6 little holes glued shut and never had a problem, I was oviously soar inside but the wounds where never a problem.I was in 2 days and went home soar for a week or so. I have seen them a bunch seen, and the weight loss has been wonderful although I am slowing down now and that worries me, I hope it picks up again. I have lost 125 pounds from Dec to now, well including the 33 pounds I lost pre-op. I have 25 pounds left to goal I found everyone there very kind and very caring and never had a problem with anyone there. GOOD LUCK
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 11:06 am
I don't know how far in you are but I went to dr Lautz at brigham and womans and there werent any requirements for weightloss or courses to take I met with him my first visit and that day they gave me a surgery date I had all the tests done but they would have scheduled all the testing to be done in one day also. I couldnt be happier Dr Lautz is one of the best and he doesnt waste his time with things that arent neccessary the only prep I had to do for surgery was a 2 week semi liquid diet. I would recomend him to anyone.
M M
on 5/15/08 5:36 am
Hi. I was asked to lose 10% of my body weight.  At the time, that was about 32 lbs.  I did it, and I was eating French Fries the night before my surgery.   
mary M.
on 5/15/08 8:39 am
I had my surgery there in February.  I loved Dr Kim--she was awesome.  There was no liquid diet but did have to lose some weight before the surgery.  I wish I had done better in that area because it makes the actual surgery easier to perform--freeing up some room, and you heal faster. My only negative report is that they had no room for me.  Literally.  I got out surgery at 4 PM and had to stay in recovery (that felt like a hallway****il 1 PM the next day. I am three months out and happy as a clam!  Check out my pics!

Started: 216
Today: 154
Goal: 140

DCGirl26
on 5/19/08 2:34 am - London, UK
I had my lap RNY at Tufts with Dr. Tarnoff three weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the experience really. The only thing that was annoying about the pre-op stuff was the sleep study requirement (at least with Dr. Rollinson). I had to spend two separate nights hooked up to a bunch of machines to find out that (surprise surprise being I'm a gastric patient) I have mild sleep apnea. Other than that, really no complaints. Things went well and I feel pretty good already. Best of luck!
nickiejaclyn
on 5/26/08 8:11 am

Dr. Rollinson made me do a sleep study too.  Which was annoying but Tuffs never called me back with the results and the day of the surgery Dr. Kim told me that I had mild sleep apena.  That was a little annoying with tuffs.

sandra267
on 6/8/08 1:04 pm - hyde park, MA
My doctor recommended tufts.  I did not want to drive to the city.  My last jury duty was someone selling drugs in that alleyway.  I just couldn't get that out of my mind.  Well, I am going with Brighams which technically has so me issues but it is a lot closer. 
TRNash1101
on 6/8/08 9:57 pm - Taunton, MA
I am two weeks post-op and had my surgery done at Tufts.  Can't say enough good things about Dr. Kim.  Again, no liquid diet.  Just the weight loss pre-surgery, appointments with providers, and the groups.  Personally, I found the appointments and the groups extremely helpful although they can be time consuming.  I would just try to make a day of it and schedule as many appointments in one day as I could to keep from having to go in and out of Boston constantly.  One day I had 5 appointments!  It seems like a lot, but they're really there to help you get yourself ready for the life change that comes post-surgery.   Surgery day I had to be in by 6am.  My surgery was at 7:30am, and I was out by 8:45am.  I did have to spend some time in recovery - I was in my room by 8pm.  The nurses and assistants were awesome.   So I'm now almost 2 weeks out and down 21lb.  Still some slight soreness, but nothing major.  I definitely feel that I made the right choice for me, and I wish you luck in your travel to good health.  :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views