great day today is!!

millamename
on 5/8/08 11:46 am - MA
I worried myself into such a frenzy and ALL FOR NOTHING!!  Dr. Lautz was just as fabulous as you all said he was going to be and his staff are excellent and what they do!!  I have a surgery date for 7/1/08 which is right around the corner!!  So I got a lot of figuring out to do.  I need to make some plans to help ease my change.   Would appreciate any advice on some tips to prepare for surgery- meaning beyond having to lose weight- like more along the lines of- should I start getting some protein shake mix, vitamins, where did you all get your stuff and for good prices? etc.  Is is smart to stock up on all that stuff- what if it doesn;t agree with me?  Thanks again for your help and support  Andrea

True wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing

IncredibleFeeling
on 5/8/08 11:25 pm - MA
Congrats on getting your date!  Protein shakes are probably the most difficult choice for everyone. I was lucky enough to like the first one I tried. My husband drinks them for working out and I loved them too. See if you can get packets before buying anything in bulk. There is also non-flavored where you can add it to anything you eat or drink.    Good luck!  
220/156/130
Sandy E.
on 5/9/08 2:31 am - Hyannis, MA
I was at Dr Lautz's office yesterday. Maybe I saw you there and didn't realize. I'm glad you liked him. You should feel comfortable with the Dr who will be doing your surgery. I drank the slim fast shakes. I thought they tasted pretty good, esp. they strawberry and royal chocholate. You can get them anywhere and they frequently go on sale. A word of advice the night of your surgery. If they don't give you a patient controlled morphine pump, don't wait too long to ask for pain med. I did and what a mistake. And make sure they give you a dose of pain med before you leave the hospital esp. if you any distance of a trip home. The vitamins I just got at KMart   the store brand. You don't need anything fancy. I had cup a soups inbetween the shakes . It will be here before you know it. If you surgery will be done at Falkner Hosp. they are very nice there and all the rooms are private.
millamename
on 5/9/08 1:06 pm - MA
I had an 11am appt and didn;t go in unitl about 11:50.  Thanks so much for your input it is really helpful and comforting.  They never told me whether or not I was doing the faulkner or BW-  I don;t really care but I guess it would be nice to know now.  The PA told me that I will have to take 2 flinstone vitamins everyday-  that is not all right?  I will have to take iron, calcium and b12, right?  Well I plan on calling her anyways so I will get all the info down soon enough.  Just overwhelming and exciting all at once and to get my date so quick!!  Take care and thanks again

ks4
on 5/9/08 3:47 am - Fitchburg, MA

Congrats on getting a surgery date.  That's so exciting!! I don't know about Dr. Lautz, but my surgeon gave me a list of things to "have on hand" before I had surgery because you really don't want to be out at the stores the day you get home. Your surgeon will be able to let you know what you should have on hand for vitimins and supplements. Your surgeon may have some samples of protein in the office.  Unjury is a good one, but it can only be purchased online. Dannon light and fit yogart (no fruit on the bottom) is good and I personally like Fage yogart with a teaspoon of splenda.  (It has lots of protein) I also like the simply smart fat free milk (lots of protein) and the sugar free carnation instant breakfast.  Comes in different flavors (chocolate, strawberry & vanilla). Your surgeon may require different things, but mine told me not to worry about getting in all my protein the first month.  My surgeon's main concern was that I stay hydrated. If you're not a water fan, crystal lite is good and as for me..... I LOVE Arizona decaffienated sugar free green tea.  LOVE IT!!!! Cottage cheese is another good thing to have if you're a cottage cheese fan.  I got burnt out on it for a while, but now use it all the time in recipes from Eggface.  Oh, speaking of eggs...egg beaters is good to have as well, but I think that's more for after you're first month.  I forget. Sugar Free Jello is good to add to your hydration.  Doesn't really do anything nutrition wise though.  Sometimes a texture change is what you need. Hope these ideas help. Take Care!

millamename
on 5/9/08 1:02 pm - MA
Thank you all so much!!  This is great!!  I know I am going to see the nutritionist on 6/12 but I kind of wanted to get going on what I need to get and you guys helped out!!  The PA just told me that I am to drink only water and crytal light from now on and lose weight before the surgery to shrink my liver.  I should call though and find out how much we are looking at and if I am supposed to go on a liquid diet or anything?  I forgot to ask that part.  This is going to be great!!  I have so much hope and faith now and I had lost all of that for so long and it feels good to have it back!!  Thanks again

jayner
on 5/11/08 10:38 am - Littleton, MA

hi, Isn't the excitement grand? My surgery is this Wednesday - I'm so psyched! I couldn't stand the Flintstone vitamins and ended up getting some from bariatric advantage. Nutrasweet gives me migraines, so I really have to watch what sugar free things I buy - no jello for me. I've been using the Unjury Vanilla and Syntrax's Nectar Cappuccino. I mix them with skim milk. I was supposed to lose 14 pounds prior to surgery (for the liver) and ended up losing 25! Good luck to you, Jayne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views