People's Experience with Mass General and/or Dr. Randall

pinksweatergal
on 4/23/08 11:45 pm - NH
I was scheduled for roux-en-Y at MGH in July of 2005 with Dr. Randall.  My surgery would have been more risky and complicated because I previously had (1997) at MGH a repair of a massive hiatial hernia and had with that a procedure called a Nissen fundoplication.  My experience with Dr. Randall was a good one and he definitely instilled confidence in me.  My surgery was ultimately canceled because I didnt have the $1000 MGH charges for classes etc that insurance doesnt cover (but certainly should).  I was devastated and felt "I cant do this any other way" but went onto lose 80 pounds in the next year with extreme dieting, no surgery (Adderall helped a little).  I have put back at least 30 of the 80 I lost and never thought I would be in this place again where I am considering this.  I am 53 now and live in NH>  I am going to a meeting at Newton-Wellesley tonight, informational one, required before even a consult to possibly start this journey over again.  Can anyone give me feedback about NWH? it is such a long drive for me from Derry, NH and also I am not sure he is practicing at MGH.  When I had my hiatal hernia repaired at MGH in 1997 the nursing care was downright abysmal and frightening so I am hesitant to even be a patient there againg.  I am trying to decide the best doctor and facility for me.  Dr. Randall was one of FEW surgeon who had performed the roux-en-Y on patients who previously had the fundoplication.   Any information or advice is welcome.  Thank you.     Sal
jereyes
on 4/24/08 11:15 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Sal I had gastric bypass with Dr. Randall on 11/21/05 at Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford.  I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dr. Randall and his staff.  I was very well taken care of pre-op, during surgery and post-op.  No question is to small to ask him.  Most times he personally returned my questions even when he was on the road.  During my hospital stay I ended up with a fever and needed a test to check my pouch.  Dr. Randall personally came down with me to see the results.  At about 10 days post-op I ended up with a kidneystone and no Dr.  would listen to me.  Dr. Randall again suggested I go back to LMH Emergency Room and Dr. Randall met me there when I arrived and he addimitted me back into the hospital for a couple of days.  I still attend his support group meetings but not every month.  At least when I had my surgery at LMH there was no program fee at that time.  i am not sure if that still holds true or not. I was also looking inti NWH because that was the only hospital I had ever been in.  I did not like all the classes I had to attend before meeting a surgeon.  I felt if I did not like the surgeon I would not consider the progam.  NWH also has some sort of program fee.  My SIL went to NWH and she liked her surgeon and the program very much. I would stick with a surgeon who is familiar with your previous condition.  Good luck!
Midgie67
on 4/25/08 11:40 pm - Yuma, AZ
I went through MGH...I was able to work out a payment plan of the $1000 program fee...is that something you might want to consider?  I was doing $200 a month, for 5 months.  They were very good about it.   I loved the staff at MGH (I was there in Aug. of 07) the nurses were great.  I would call MGH and talk about possible payment plan with them, since you do like Dr. Randall...It is so hard to find a caring doctor. Good Luck!
bigbill415
on 5/5/08 4:16 am - Andover, MA
I'll add in my $0.02.  If you are shopping around for a place to have WLS then I suggest you look into New England Medical Center's Obesity Consult Center - NEM****  They are located in Boston (Chinatown) on Washington Street.  Other than the fact that you have to pay for parking I have ZERO complaints about my experience. They have 3 bariatric surgeons who are all top notch.  Their program is one of the best I've seen.  It includes the usual suspects -- nutritionist, psychologist, exercise physiologist, and others.  They make you go through a 6 week behavioral change group, group meetings of post op patients, and council you on the various surgical and non-surgical options. They have the lowest mortality and complication rates in the country.  I had Harvard Pilgrim HMO health plan and had to pay my usual co-pays and a $350 co-pay for the in-patient surgical visit.  Everyone is different but for me I was on the "table" for 65 minutes, in the hospital for 2 days and back to work (office work) in 2 1/2 weeks. It has been over 4 months since my surgery and I've lost over 100 pounds and have had no problems.  I attribute that success with 2 things -- I followed doctors orders to the letter prior to surgery, and continue to followed up with my "team" at prescribed intervals.  The doctors and the rest of the team can't make me do the right stuff, only I can...and I do. Good luck with your journey.  You will not regret it! -Bill

-Bill
                356/324/216/195
Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Goal

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs