OLD AGE

lisabene
on 4/20/08 11:46 am
I EVERYBODY IM STILL TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT SURGEY TO HAVE LAPBAND OR BYPASS IM STILL GOING THOUGH THE TESTING PART. SO SCARED OF DYING. I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS HAD SURGEY LIKE 10 YEARS AGO AND HOW ARE THEY? DOES ANYBODY ELSE FEEL LIKE I DO? I LIKE THE RESULTS OF BYPASS. BUT HEARD ALOT OF BAD THINGS ALSO. I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF GOOD TO. SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE         LISA
Discovery02466
on 4/20/08 12:13 pm - Newton, MA
Hi Lisa- There are a couple of additional forums that might be of help to you (upper left corner click on weight loss related)...There are the weight loss surgery grads and the WLS regrets page....While I firmly believe you should do research and understand all the possibilities with any surgery, for me the benefits of surgery far outweighed the risks...We can really only help you with questions about surgeries...not sure anyone here can decide for you if you're ready...Best of luck to you...

~Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/08 10:31 pm - east falmouth, MA
Hi...have you been to an information session  that helped my decision a ton.  I went to the one at Brigham and Womens and it was really well done and the doctor was sooo good with questions.  At first I thought Lap band too but the case for RNY seemed better for me upon further information. I strongly feel that if you are not 100% sure and committed to having and doing whatever it takes after the surgery to achieve success that you should not go ahead....If your BMI is not really bad and you aren't yet sure maybe try the post op diets for a while and see if it is worth it to you.   There are no easy fixes and no matter what committment is crucial. Good luck and Good health...
jayner
on 4/20/08 11:40 pm - Littleton, MA
Lisabene, I was afraid of dying early from obesity. I have no fear of the surgery. I look forward to improved health and freedom from diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, higher risk of cancer, wear and tear on joints. I am three weeks from my RNY and can't wait. I originally wanted a lapband but found that I would get better results from the RNY. I am a recovered obsessive compulsive eater, but there are those moments when I get aggrevated when I turn to food with a vengence. I could see me downing coffee frappes and piling on pounds. Jayne
carolbed
on 4/22/08 2:30 am - attleboro, MA
go to the website of 60 minutes and see the piece that was done this past week.  I had my surgery 2 yrs this coming May 17th.  I am very happy i had the rny.  I have lost 115 lbs and have kept it off.  The surgeries that were done awhile back are much better now.  If you have diabetis now you wont have it after you have an rny.  It's actually a cure for diabeties.  So log on to 60minutes.com and check out the article.  Carol B
lisabene
on 4/22/08 2:10 pm
THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVICE. I DID SOME MORE READING GUESS I WILL TALK TO MY PRIMARY DOC NEXT WEEK.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 4/23/08 7:33 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Lisa, I had the lap band almost 4 years ago. I chose the lap band because I was too chicken to have the rny. The band was great for 18 months...then I had difficulties with my fill level. Last fall it was discovered I have a leak..and I am awaiting new insurance for a revision to RNY. I am no longer a chicken. Ihave been around the bariatric practice for 4 years and I don't see people dying from the surgery.  I am not a band basher, if my band weren't broken, I would still be plugging away getting the right fill level.   I had lost a good amount of weight with the band.  I look at it like Baby Steps.  If I had to do it again, with what I know now....I would go with the RNY. But, that is with 4 years of experience.  I would suggest going to all the boards and read, read,and read. Also google, as well as look on Utube.   Nothing is perfect, but getting the monkey off your back (the excess weight) is the best feeling in the world.  I wish you well in your decision process, and feel free to email me if I can help you. Joan
lisabene
on 4/23/08 11:12 am
I HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTONS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU LOSE TO MUCH WEIGHT AND CANT GAIN BECAUSE OF SURGEY. AND YOUR SUGAR KEEPS DROPPING. YOU CANT EAT SUGAR TO BRING IT BACK UP. I USE TO WORK WITH THIS GIRL WHO WAS 2 YEARS OUT AND STILL EATING BABYFOOD SOMETHING WASNT RIGHT SHE WAS SICK ALL THE TIME. HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS?     LISA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views