Just a newbie with some questions about Dr. Randall and Network Helath

fluffymama
on 4/4/08 10:31 am - malden, MA
I'm going to meet with Dr. Randall at the end of the month. I'm also going to meet with the nutritionist that day. I'm just wondering what to expect at that appointment. I am also curious about my insurance. I have network health. Does anyone know how Network health is about approval or requirements? I guess I'm what you guys call a lightweight with a BMI of 40 (trust me, I don't FEEL light), so I'm nervous about going in there and being laughed at. I have had a positive resonse from my primary care doctor and my mother who has had RNY with Dr. Randall. Please help me know what to expect. Thanks in advance!
jereyes
on 4/5/08 6:18 am - Tyngsboro, MA
If this is your first appointment with Dr. Randall he will go over your health  and dieting history with you.  He will explain the surgery to you and what to expect before, during and after as a post op.  He will not laugh at you since I was considered a lightweight myself.  At my first appointment as well as support group meetings people would always ask me when I had surgery.  Once I told them that I did not have surgery yet they would kind of look at me and make a comment like you don't need surgery.  I just would ignore their comments.  I knew I was doing this for my health and well being and I did not need anyone elses approval besides the doctors.  The nutritionist will talk about what eating and behavior changes you shouls start doing before surgery.  I can't help you with the insurance information.  My insurance did require me to participate in a 6 month medically supervised diet.  You can call your insurance company or look on line to find out what your insurance requires for surgery.  Good Luck!
fluffymama
on 4/5/08 8:50 am - malden, MA
Thank you for your response. I would never think that a doctor would laugh at me. My fear is of exactly what you said....the other patients thinking I was crazy for wanting surgery because I will be much smaller than most pre-op patients in the office. However, I know I am not as healthy as I can be because I'm at this weight. I am only 27 years old and I have 2 young children so I want to have the energy to be a good mom and set a good example for my kids. I am 5'7" and I weigh  around 250 pounds. I have herniated discs and arthritis that makes exercise extremely painful. I see a chiropractor 3 times a week just so back and neck pain doesn't keep me awake at night. I know taking off 100 pounds would relieve so much of the pain and make exercise, and life in general, enjoyable again.
Discovery02466
on 4/5/08 1:00 pm - Newton, MA
I was in the same boat...At my heaviest, I was 261 and about 5'7 1/2" with a BMI of 40.9...I was approved on the first try on my insurance and never looked back...The surgery has definitely changed my life... In addition to the Massachusetts board, I also post a lot on the lightweights board...Everyone there knows what you're going through and I've found it very helpful and non-judgmental...Check it out!

~Jenn

jereyes
on 4/5/08 10:30 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
This surgery has changed my life completely.  I only wish I had done it years ago when my children were younger.  I spent most of my children's life looking in from sitting on a bench.  I am now much more active in general.  I exercise on a regular basis and my cholesterol is at normal levels without taking meds.  Even as a lightweight I have lost 125 pounds, this is something that I thought would never happen with WLS.  Your health will improve with weightloss.  You are young and have a whole life ahead of you.  Oh, you will also be weighed in at your appointments with Dr. Randall.  Good luck on your journey it will be well worth it!  Feel free to ask any questions. 
fluffymama
on 4/5/08 10:45 pm - malden, MA
Thanks so much you guys. I will check out the lightweight board as well!
italianqn47
on 4/6/08 10:16 pm

Good for you for taking that first step.  Its scary but well worth it. My first appt with Dr. Randall was very interesting.  I went to him for the Lap Band only.  After my consultation with him, i was dead set against the lap band.  Wasnt for me and so glad he pointed that out. Im 26 months out of my RNY and have lost a total of 156 lbs.  I feel great  and am so glad I am with this support system.  Its not just a surgery, its a life style transformation.  You need to realize that from the beginning or you wont succeed. Keep going to the support meetings.  Keep up with everything that this is going to require.  You will be happy you did.

fluffymama
on 4/7/08 9:39 pm - malden, MA
Yeah, I really think I like the idea of the lap band. However, I am open to his opinions and suggestions. Afterall he is the expert. At this point I have 100 pounds to lose. I would like to do it the way he thinks I would be most successful and the most healthy. I am ready for the life style transformation...thats the part I really embr\ace. I want to be able to do the things I used to...like exercise and play hard with my kids. My mother, aunt, cousin, and other family friends have had WLS with Dr. Randall so I know what to expect. I am aware of the sacrafices, as well as the benefits that come along with the surgery. I am excited to get on with life the way it should be...without pain.
xxkimberlyxx
on 4/27/08 10:12 am
When I first decided on WLS I was more interested in the lap band the bypass. I waited months to see Dr. Randall...sat in his office for about 2+ hours ...finally got in to see him and he totally talked me out of the lap band. He was right about that but my problem with him is that he doesnt do the bypass laproscopically. Why? He told me there is less risk of complications with an open bypass but all the research says differently. I wasnt comfortable with the way he performs and see no good reason why I need to be cut open to have this done. Not to say he isnt a good doctor just not the one for me. I took the advice of a close friend and saw the surgeons at the weight loss management at Lowell general and feel totally comfortable with my decision. I am waiting for a surgery date ...hopefully will find out this week!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views