5% weight loss??

brandileeha
on 3/31/08 10:01 pm - Revere, MA
I went to my first official Dr. appointment yesterday, 3 hours long and saw everyone! My question is this through all the material I have read and educated myself on and all the things I learned in the support groups. I was shocked when I saw the dietitian. I knew I would be put on a diet and I would have to lose 5% of my body weight. But, I didn't realize the diet would be what I am suposed to eat after the surgery. I guess my question is ... I am not sure if I can stick to no carbs, and only protein and veggies and not be hungry? Wouldn't a low fat low carb diet be the best? I have 13 lbs to lose before surgery. I have a feeling on this diet it will come off right away. I am scared and I don't want to fail!!!
jayner
on 3/31/08 10:34 pm - Littleton, MA
hi, I am with the same group. I have Rebecca Shore as my surgeon. Some plans such as MGH do not require any pre-op wight loss. Dr. Shore explained that a 5% weight loss not only shows your commitment to the program but also puts your liver in better condition and it becomes less brittle. This is important since it needs to be pushed aside to get to your stomach. A high protein, no carb diet is the basis of many fast weight reduction diets such as Atkins and South Beach. It is a rapid way to lose weight. Dr. Shore said that by the time the diet becomes difficult to follow, they step in with the surgery.  I also had to lose 14 pounds. I started my diet at the end of January. I have lost 25 pounds. I should get my surgery date this week. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Go to the support group meetings. I attend the one at Emerson. Jayne
brandileeha
on 3/31/08 11:04 pm - Revere, MA
Thanks Jayne!!! I have not met with my Doctor yet, so that was not explained to me. It makes total sense .... Do you like one protein shake over another ... my head is spinning looking at all the different kinds .... I also will be attending meetings at emerson. Brandi
Cher B.
on 4/1/08 2:12 am - MA
High protein, low carb will make you feel less hungry.  The reason for this is that you will not have the rise and drop in blood sugar that makes you feel hungry.  Read up on the South Beach Diet.  Out of every meal plan that I tried before and after surgery....it is the one that I feel most satisfied with. Good luck!
scojo58
on 4/1/08 11:39 pm - Methuen, MA
once you have your surgery, you won't  be very hungry at all.  I'm six months out and I still eat small amounts of foods and feel very satisfied. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/08 12:00 am
Consider yourself lucky, I have to produce a 10% weight loss!! UGG!
AwesomeForever
on 4/3/08 4:20 am - Marlborough, MA
Hi, I lost weight on my own. I think my surgeon was happy that I continued to lose. I know one of his nurses was so happy that she put stars on my page. I have lost 124 pounds so far. I lost most before the surgery. Linda
brandileeha
on 4/9/08 6:45 am - Revere, MA
** So far so good ** Well its been a week since I started the no carb low fat diet and even though I went out to dinner 3 times this week (which is unusual for me) I was able to stick on it and not cheat!! I have lost a total of 6 lbs so far, I only have 7 more to go to make the 5%
jayner
on 4/9/08 10:49 am - Littleton, MA
You are doing just fine! Are you doing protein shakes? I usually have one for breakfast. I use the Unjury vanilla with skim mil**** cubes and a few berries in the blender. I also like the Nectar latte cappuccino with skim milk and ice cubes. Who is your nutritionist? I have Courtney. I'll  be at the support group this month - I was on a business trip last month and could not make it. Hope to meet you then. Jayne
sunnymoonx
on 4/9/08 9:57 pm - cape cod, MA
good for you - you're doing great! It's a scary thought when they tell you that you have to lose some weight before surgery. Heck if you could lose the weight you wouldnt be looking for surgery in  the first place, right? but you CAN do it. But a word of warning. don't lost your 5% and fall back into old habits and gain it back! It's happened to many people and is not a good thing.

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs