How do I lose first 10%??? PLEASE HELP

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/08 11:16 am

I'm planning on having gastric bypass.  Since August ’07 I've been attending support groups, finished all of my pre-surgery skills groups, met with behaviorists, nutritionist, etc.  I have completely changed the types of foods that I eat and how I eat.  I read all food labels, journal, eat high fiber, low fat foods, fruits, vegetables, etc.  I admit I have not begun exercising yet, but hope to start walking soon.  I feel like I am doing everything a healthy person is supposed to do, but I am not losing any weight.  This is the same place I have been for over 15 years and the reason I am turning to bypass.  I don’t really feel like the program I am enrolled in has provided much if any guidance on how to lose weight before surgery.  If any one can give me some advise I would be so grateful!! 

Despinasdream
on 3/31/08 1:42 pm - Lakeville, MA

Hi walking helps they say and doing protien drinks...I'm just going threw the same thing ..it seems like when ever they say "ok lose 10-20pounds you almost want to say HOW...

Keep on plugging away...your dates comming up soon...Best wishes...Despinasdream

txbunny930
on 3/31/08 10:42 pm - MA
In the 18 months it took me to get approval, I saw my nutri monthly and did everything I could to get the weight off.  In that 18 months I was only able to lose 10 lbs.  My metabolism was completely shut down and nothing I did would help get the weight off.  WLS kick started my metabolism and, as you can see by my weight loss, it's worked.   If you're doing everything you can do, including exercise, then be happy that you are choosing the right path by having WLS to get healthy. Best of luck on this journey.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

sunnymoonx
on 4/1/08 9:38 am - cape cod, MA
who is your surgeon?

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/08 10:07 am
I don't have a confirmed surgeon yet because I need to lose the weight to get approved for the surgery.
sunnymoonx
on 4/2/08 5:43 am - cape cod, MA
You may want to set up a consult with a surgeon and get started,. it canbe a long process and many insurance companies require documented weight loss and diet.  say you weigh 300 pounds today and lose your 10% than see your surgeon. that 10% you lost won't count. He will want you to lose 10% of whatyou weigh on your first visit. See what I mean? as far as how to lose it -its tough. I thought I would never be able to do it, but I lost 5 more pounds that what was required of me. I never thought I could. Eat small, frequesnt meals. drink a LOT of water.  track your food on something like www.fitday.com or www.thedailyplate.com  it really helps to see what you are eating. and most of all, exercise. get out and walk. its a great time of year to start walking, the weather is getting warmer and there is so much nature to see. Even if you can only walk for 10 minutes at a time, build up to longer distances and a faster pace. It ALL helps. Good luck!!

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

scojo58
on 4/1/08 11:35 pm - Methuen, MA
my doctor has all his patients do a liquid diet 2 wks prior to the surgery.  The diet consisted of protein drinks, yogurts, sf jello's & puddings, milk, decaf coffe & tea, waters, broth, & sf popsicles.  It's hard work to stick to but it does take the weight off.  I was able to lose 15 lbs in two weeks prior to my surgery. 
Lauren1979
on 4/2/08 4:47 am - Holden, MA
With me I made lifesyle changes. I drink 64+oz of fluid a day. Eat 3 meals and snacks in between to keep my metabolizm going. It seems I have to eat more than ever and make the right food choices and it has come off. With just doing that and parking farther away when I go to stores I lost my 5% in 2 months. The reason behind loosing weight before surgery is because you loose the weight off your liver first and that makes it so the surgeon will have more room in there to do it LAP instead of open. I just met my weight loss goal and am going for my surgical consult on the 7th with surgery about a month after that. All the things they make you do might seem crazy while you are doing them, but I'd rather jump through their hoops and have a great outcome then just go in for sugery and have complications or gaining weight back long term... it is worth it in the end...or at least I hope it will be. my program has had great sucess with ALL of their patients...

"Life is way to short to live in the past" and "keep your feet on the ground while reaching for the stars"

jayner
on 4/2/08 6:06 am - Littleton, MA
hi, I had to lose 5% (14 pounds) for the program at Emerson. The diet they had me go on is similar to Phase I of the South Beach Diet. Either go to the library and take out the book or go to www.wikipedia.com. There is a description of Phase I there. In two months I lost 25 pounds. Try to eat about 70 to 80 grams of protein and drink eight glasses of water daily. What hospital is your plan associated with? good luck, Jayne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views