Does the hunger come back?

disneybear
on 3/28/08 1:58 am - Walpole, MA
I am new to the group and I am scheduled for gastric bypass with Dr. Lautz on June 16th. I understand that you really aren't that hungry after the surgery and some have to remember to eat. How long does that last? And if it does come back, are you able to just get rid of it with smaller amounts of food? I have always been a big eater and it has always taken me a lot to fill up, even with good food, such as fruits and vegetables. I am hoping that this will permanently change.
rockysmom
on 3/28/08 3:07 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hi -  I'm new also.  My surgery is with Dr. Lautz on Tuesday, April 1st!  I can't tell you from personal experience yet, but I've been going to the support groups for the past few months - I can tell you what people who have had it have shared at the group.  For the first year or so you are not hungry and you can not eat much.  As time goes on, the pouch stretches a bit and you can eat a little more - however they say you don't ever get to the point you were at before, unless you are really trying.  In other words, if you consistently overeat to the point of discomfort, you can stretch the pouch a lot more and regain weight.  They say most people do regain a little after they hit their low point, but then stabilize at that point.  The consensus seems to be that hunger is a different thing after the surgery - it's not the same - you're never hungry in the same way as before, and you are satisfied with much less food.  I have been really concerned with the thought of regaining weight.  I've been a very successful dieter in my life -- losing as much as 60 pounds.  But, I always gain it back.  After dieting for months and months, I get crazy hungry!  (I also am a big eater -- I tend to eat one or two huge meals a day).  I've asked a lot of questions about how does it happen that some people gain after the surgery (Carnie Wilson).  The answer is constantly "grazing" on high calorie foods that go down easy and don't take up much room in your stomach.  ****cream, etc.).  So, anyway I'm hopeful that this is the answer for me, and I will be with the majority of people that maintain most of the weight loss after surgery.   You might want to check out the support group -- the people are really helpful and nice.
disneybear
on 3/28/08 8:34 am - Walpole, MA
I haven't made it to any of the support groups yet, but it is part of my plan. Thanks for all the great advice!
foobear
on 3/28/08 3:33 am - Medford, MA
I can only speak for myself at 4 months post-op, which isn't really very far out.  But I'm a former "big eater". I *really* had to remind myself to eat during the first 6 weeks after my surgery.  Now, I'm back into the swing of things, eating at home and at work, and I tend to look forward to meals, although I don't feel hungry/starving, if you know what I mean.  I'm told that this indifference to food diminishes after 6 months to a year; it may be that hunger hormones like ghrelin start returning to normal eventually.  I haven't experienced this yet, and I'm not looking forward to it!  It's great while it lasts! You'll be really surprised at how small your pouch is a couple of months after your RNY surgery.  A lot of folks (including myself) worry immediately post-op that the surgeon didn't DO anything, because they don't feel any restriction.  One reason is that in the first 6 weeks post-op, you're on a staged series of restricted diets, each stage adding newer types of foods, and more of them.  It's natural not to feel restricted because you're really not eating very much (and that's deliberate).  Plus, it takes a while for your pouch to heal and gets its nerves back in working order. Once you start on "Stage 5", the final stage, you'll start taking in "real food" with a lot of texture that just doesn't slide though your pouch through its stoma.  This tends to "sit" in the pouch for a much longer time than protein drinks, puddings, soups, etc.  And believe me, having a full pouch usually guarantees that you'll feel full.  You'll also learn soon enough how not to "push" it, because it's very easy to take one bite too much and push yourself over the boundary between "full" and "extremely uncomfortable"! Yesterday I was at my first restaurant (Legal Seafoods) since my surgery, and while I was very careful not to overdo it, I was surprised at how full I got and so quickly.  Just two steamed shrimp and two small broccoli florets were enough to fill me up and not want another bite.  And I didn't feel deprived at all.  (On the other hand, it reaffirmed my decision not to go to restaurants; not because they tempt me, but because the experience and the expense just isn't worth it to me, even with a take-out doggie bag.) /Steve
ks4
on 3/28/08 3:34 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hello, and congrats on the start of your journey. For me, I wasn't hungry in the beginning.  I'm now 7 months post op and I do get hungry now, but I have to think if it is actually hunger or thirst.  Whenever I get hunger pangs, I try to drink first to see if that is what it is.  If that doesn't solve it, then I go for the healthy snack or meal depending on what part of the day it is. hth,

jereyes
on 3/28/08 4:18 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Everyone is different.  I kept hearing people say that they never feel hungry even after a year out.  I started to feel hunger when I was able to eat regular food.  The hunger sensation for me is not as strong and I get filled up much quicker than before.  I still eat about every three hours or so.  i will start to feel hungry pretty regularly so I know it is timw to eat.  Good luck on your journey!
disneybear
on 3/28/08 5:01 am - Walpole, MA
Wow! Such wonderful and thoughtful responses! Thank you! I have been worried that I will have this uncontrollable hunger that I will never be able to get rid of after surgery.
foobear
on 3/28/08 8:02 am - Medford, MA
Forums such as OH here are invaluable, and this suggestion isn't a replacement for them, but do you have a copy of "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies"?  It's really THE pre-op bible, and I virtually memorized its contents during the months I was preparing for surgery and during the next few months afterwards.   It should be available in most bookstores that carry the "Dummies" books, or it's available on amazon.com.  It's worth every penny! /Steve
disneybear
on 3/28/08 8:34 am - Walpole, MA
Thanks Steve, I did pick up a copy of Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. It has been very informative. There is nothing like the experiences from you guys too!
DDBEAR458
on 3/28/08 7:58 am - WORCESTER, MA
wow.  congratulations on your journey.  i had my surgery january 16, 2007 and have lost almost 100 pounds.  it has been the best decision i have ever made.  i have gone thru many changes during the course of my journey.  im getting a divorce after being married for 20 years.  i just wanted to tell you of my experience with food.  i have never been an "anxiety" eater.  meaning that some people when they are stressed, eat.  I can't eat when im stressed.  of course that never helped me in the past but it does now.  i know it's not heatlhy but some things you just can't change.  there are days that i cant eat nonstop and then more days than not, i get very very stuffed very quick.  depending on what i eat.  pasta is really heavy.  i get stuffed (like thanksgiving) on three bites.  but if i eat steak, i can eat the whole thing.  i always eat the protein first,  then the starch and veggies last.  of course i like to dip my steak or chicken in my potato, but always protein first.  you belly just can't tolerate the "big" eaters that we once were.  you will be fine and good luck.  let us know how your doing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views