Is this true ???

CarolWannabe
on 3/26/08 5:13 am - Pepperell, MA

I just read this and need to know if this is true: "Gastric bypass re-arranges your insides which leads to malnourishment.  There is only an 18 month window to lose the weight before things go back to normal."     I am concerned with reading this statement. 

jereyes
on 3/26/08 5:48 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I am almost 2 1/2 years post op and I am not malnourished.  I take my vitamins on a regular basis and I have my blood work taken regularly.  The 18 month window is the most optimal time to lose the most weight but many people continue to lose weight after 18 months expecially if the have closer to 200 pounds to lose.  I lost weight for about 16 months and have been maintaining my weight since.  i have a normal BMI and do not want to lose any more.  I have never read or been told that thing go back to normal.  Many people do gain weight back due to falling into bad habit, not exercising or grazing.  Talk to your surgeon about what you read.  Good luck!
CarolWannabe
on 3/26/08 9:52 pm - Pepperell, MA
Thanks for the reply.  I was just so upset when I read this and immediately posted.  After reading your reply and Suzanne's it has calmed me down !!!  
suzanne777123
on 3/26/08 6:54 am - Bristol, RI
That's a very misleading statement.   Yes gastric bypass "re-arranges" your insides, but it does not lead to malnourishment if you do what you are supposed to do (focus on protein first, take your vitamins).  If you are a totally non-compliant patient then you can become malnourished, but that is rare.   The other statement about the 18 month window is referring to the fact that you will lose the majority of the weight in the first 12-18 months.  However things do not "go back to normal" after those 18 months.  Your stomach doesn't change after 18 months.  You just get to a point of maintenance vs. losing.  You need to stick to the main rules of gastric bypass (never eat & drink at the same time and don't graze) and you'll be fine. I'm almost 2 years out.  I started at 368 and now weigh 158.   I've been maintaining since October (well not including the 18 pounds of skin my plastic surgeon chopped off...). Good luck, Suzanne
06/14/06:    Laproscopic RNY.  Down 215 Lbs.    

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

02/25/08:    Vertical Thigh Lift, Lower Face Lift, Fat Grafting.
CarolWannabe
on 3/26/08 9:58 pm - Pepperell, MA
Thanks Suzanne - I am 3-1/2 months out and struggle everyday with my vitamins, protein and fluids but hope with time that things get easier.  Congrats on your success !   I started out at a little less than you and so far I am down 64 lbs and feel so much better.  Your loss is unbelievable !!!!  
suzanne777123
on 3/26/08 10:09 pm - Bristol, RI
It will get better !    What are you struggling with on vitamins?   Centrum makes a pretty tasty chewable.  For protein did you get lots of samples of protein shakes.  I went to www.vitalady.com and www.bariatriceating.com and bought samples of every flavor that sounded good.  I must have tried about 30 and found a few I really like.   At almost 2 years out I still have a protein shake every day so you do need to find one you like.    Best of luck! Suzanne

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

CarolWannabe
on 3/27/08 3:27 am - Pepperell, MA

Hi Suzanne - I guess my struggle with the vitamins is remembering to take them and then feeling a bit crappy for awhile after.  I am doing the Centrum Chewable and chewable children's aspirin but for some reason the B-Complex and Biotin make me gag.  I also have 5-6 other meds I have to take at night.  And forget about Calcium Citrate - that's another story trying to get that in.  I ordered a large supply of the Citracal Creamy Bites before they were gone and I've decided to make necklaces out of them so I don't forget to chew 3-4 each day !  Just pluck them off as I go ! LOL I never thought putting pills in my mouth would prove so difficult !  I have also tried several different protein shakes but again the gag reflux kicks in.  I have not been doing any shakes and I know I am not getting enough protein from food as I really don't care to eat anymore.  (I can't believe I feel this way !).  I know with time it will get better, maybe I am just trying to rush things.  I don't expect to lose what I need to overnight as it took me many years to get where I am.  I need to focus on myself now and improve my health for a number of reasons.  Thanks to people like you, your encouragement helps ! Carol

suzanne777123
on 3/27/08 3:30 am - Bristol, RI
Keep up the good fight !   If you need more Citrical Creamy Bites you can still buy them on Ebay....lots of people are selling them now.   I know I bought out the last 10 boxes I could from drugstore.com.    Good luck Suzanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views