feel crappy--unless I take something

mary M.
on 3/20/08 5:12 am
I am five weeks out, in a ten day stall, and I just don't feel well.  If I take an asperin I am "okay", otherwise have a low level of discomfort most of the time...normal?
foobear
on 3/20/08 6:37 am - Medford, MA
It's hard to know whether this is normal or not; you should check with your surgeon's nurse. When you say "asperin", do you mean "aspirin" or Tylenol?  You shouldn't be self-medicating with aspirin (or any other NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen) without checking with your surgeon first.  Only Tylenol (acetaminophen)-containing pain relievers are safe to take on your own after RNY surgery. /Steve
suzanne777123
on 3/20/08 8:12 am - Bristol, RI
eek...no aspirin !  That's dangerous...only Tylenol is allowed.    You should mention this discomfort to your surgeon..  That's unusual. Suzanne
06/14/06:    Laproscopic RNY.  Down 215 Lbs.    

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

02/25/08:    Vertical Thigh Lift, Lower Face Lift, Fat Grafting.
mary M.
on 3/20/08 11:53 pm
Actually, its Advil I have been taking.  My doc that did the operation is almost impossible to reach.  Will see my GP today at least.
Lori S.
on 3/21/08 2:39 am - Assonet, MA
Hello,               I was told not to take anything but TYLENOL....I was under the impression we were not to take any anti inflamatories.....Please try the Tylenol (Extra strength) and I hope you feel better soon!!! PS Advil, motrine, and all NSAID's can cause bleeding if taken to often......
foobear
on 3/21/08 5:08 am - Medford, MA
No Advil (which is ibuprofen).  No Aleve (which is naproxen).  Basically, if it's any OTC pain reliever other than Tylenol (which is acetaminophen), DON'T TAKE IT ON YOUR OWN.  When in doubt, call your surgeon's office for advice.  Even if you can't reach your doctor, isn't there a collection of bariatric nurses and nutritionists in your surgeon's practice whom you can talk to? Any NSAID (like Advil or Aleve) can cause ulcers after RNY surgery; we are much more sensitive to these drugs, which can cause ulcers even in people who haven't had surgery.  Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not a NSAID, and should be safe after RNY surgery. Where and when did you have your surgery?  At BIDMC the warning about NSAIDs was drummed into our heads constantly.  It's a shame that this didn't seem to be emphasized to you. /Steve
mary M.
on 3/21/08 8:19 am
I was at New England Medical/Tufts andit was not drummed in our heads.  I will not take any more and will call on Monday!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views