Post op Appointment!!! How Embarassing!!!

Lori S.
on 3/20/08 6:59 am - Assonet, MA

Hello everyone,        I was so embarassed today at my post-op apt. I have to travel from Assonet, to Boston and with traffic issues, I need to leave 2 hrs in advance...OK, so I started stage 3 yesterday, and did fine with the Deli turkey meat and boiled chicken....well, fine means I ate them as directed ( didn't finish Chicken) and had no major discomfort....So, this morning when we left 2 hrs early I decided to make a scrambled egg to eat in the van.  BBoy was I sorry, I was very uncomfortable at first, (again, didn't finish egg) Then, as time went on felt WORSE, by the time I got to the Dr's office, I was Sweating, nauseaus, and in pain!!!  I even had to leave the room to go be sick!!!  I only threw up frothy stuff, no EGG!! When I returned from the rest room, the Surgeon and 2 PA's were waiting for me....I all but died!!!!  I told the DR how I've been feeling great and couldn't wait to see him and let him know how well I had been doing.....Wrong.....Then I said " Well, if this is Dumping Syndrome, I got my wish"......he said he didn't believe it to be Dumping syndrome...not from an egg...he said that my outlet has just remained very tight...which he said is good in the long run...but initially it would  be more difficult and more uncomfortable to eat, especially in the Morning...He said to try just drinking something hot in the AM..  To make a long story short ( if possible ) I was in Pain until 2:00pm when I called the office and a PA told me to take a Zantac...Thank God I called.....I took the Zantac and did feel better after about an hour later....I am petrified to eat anything now!!!!!

Has anyone had this experience before????

Sorry so long, Lori

suzanne777123
on 3/20/08 8:10 am - Bristol, RI

Yup...sounds like the egg got stuck.  You got a case of the foamies (that's what you spit up).  It happens sometimes, especially early on or if you didn't chew something well enough.  Eggs did that to me a lot in the beginning.   Assonet....you're close by to me ! Good luck, Suzanne

06/14/06:    Laproscopic RNY.  Down 215 Lbs.    

11/19/07:    Lower Body Lift with auto-augmentation on buttock lift, Breast lift with Auto-Augmentation, extended brachioplasty with Axilla repair.

02/25/08:    Vertical Thigh Lift, Lower Face Lift, Fat Grafting.
misslola
on 3/20/08 8:20 am
I had my surgery a month ago.  I haven't experienced dumping symptoms yet.  I'm dreading it!!!  However, I am unable to eat in the mornings so I am going to try drinking something warm as you suggested.  Good luck and hope you continue doing well.
Lori S.
on 3/20/08 9:27 am - Assonet, MA
Hi Suzanne,                        Thank You so much for the wonderful information!!!!!  I am SO HAPPY to know I am not alone....although I don't wish this feeling on my worst enemy!!! ( Well....hmmmm)       SO, the foamies hey....that's what I call my daughter's crafts.....I think I'll change the name of the crafts.....LOL....I ate less than 1 egg. What I did eat, took me almost an hour to finish. In retrospect, I shouldn't  have not gone back after I stopped the first time.....I was a little uncomfortable...but I was also concerned about not gettting enough protein. Well, the next time I feel like that......can you say STOP!!!!!       Wow, we do live close, I am 39....40 in JUNE!!!!   AARRGGHH..... I actually grew up in NB, My parents still live there so I am there often. If you would like to talk, e-mail me @ [email protected]                                                   Thanks again, Lori
Lori S.
on 3/20/08 9:32 am - Assonet, MA
Hi Misslola,                   I didn't actually experience Dumping Syndrome..........Keep in mind that NOT everyone does!!!!  I'll pray you don't experience it!!!     I can't wait to try the warm drink in the morning after today's experience....I hope it helps you too!!! Are you local?? My surgery was on March 3RD, so I am almost 3 weeks out!!!!  I'de love to be friends...                                      Take Care, Lori
ks4
on 3/20/08 10:27 am - Fitchburg, MA
I have experienced the foamies as well.  It's due to something being stuck.  It happened with chicken for me, and I know I didn't chew enough.  After I drank something warm, it got dislogded and the pain and foamies went away almost immediately.  Don't be afraid to eat eggs again, just make sure to chew, chew, chew.  If it ever happens again with any type of food, drink something warm to help dislodge it and disolved it. HTH, Kendra

M M
on 3/20/08 11:58 am
I remember the first time that happened to me - canned chicken breast.   Oh yuck.
rockysmom
on 3/27/08 11:24 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hello, This is my first post. (not quite sure how to do this stuff).  I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday.  I'm pretty nervous but happy and excited also!  My surgeon is Dr. Lautz also.  I've been going to the support group at Brigham & Womens on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month.  It's great to talk to others who have been through it.  If you haven't gone yet, you should try it!
Lori S.
on 3/27/08 10:41 pm, edited 3/27/08 10:43 pm - Assonet, MA
Hello Rockysmom,                               CONGRATS ON YOUR SURGERY DATE AND BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!     You are certainly in good hands...I Love Dr Lautz!!!!  I never went to that meeting before, but to tell you the truth, I am not to fond of driving into Boston!!!  Yuck!!!! Listen, when you are home and feeling better, there are 2-3 other women in the Assonet, Lakeville area and we are starting our own little support group......we would love to have you join us.....the more the merrier.......     I don't know if you read my bog, but I have 2 kids....how old is your son?     I am actually getting together with one of the women today, her name is Joan and she is babysitting her granddaughter, so she is coming along too....if your son is young he is welcome too!!!!   Best of luck Tuesday, and I will be Praying for a speedy recovery......remember in the hospital, walk walk walk, I was doing 40-50 laps around the "Quad" to get the air they pump you up with moving and out!!!!  Just remember, as of Tuesday you will be starting your new life!!!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!                           Lori OH sugar.....I just looked at the picture near your name!!!!  Is Rocky a puppy??? I'm so sorry....I guess having two little one's of my ownmakes me assume a mommy of any name  is a child. Sorry if I offended you, or brought up a sensitive subject!!!  I hope you will still join us!!!!
rockysmom
on 3/28/08 2:37 am - Dartmouth, MA
Yes - Rocky is a dog!   I have two wonderful children, but they are 26 and 24 -- all grown up --  and I have no grandkids yet.  I got Rocky last year as a puppy, and I treat him like a baby, so "rocky'smom" is kind of a joke!  The subject is only sensitive to my daughter who used to get annoyed with me when I would tell her I need a grandchild to baby.  All's well now -- Rocky has taken care of my empty nest syndrome!   The people in the support group are really terrific -- I hear you about the drive to Boston.  I actually worked in Boston up until last November when I was transferred to New Bedford, so it doesn't seem so bad to me.  At that time of the day, the traffic is not bad heading in there and the parking in the garage is easily accessible and reasonable. I would love to join your group -- I need all the support I can get.   Thanks for the advise and encouragement! Anne-Marie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views