Supplement Question?

Jessica O.
on 3/13/08 2:59 am - Grafton, MA

Hello everyone!  With my surgery date only 11 days away, I was thinking about going shopping this weekend for my vitamins/supplements that I will need post-op.  I am aware that I will need to take the Flinstones Chewable Vitamins.  I am a little confused when it comes to the Calcium.  In the pamplet of information that I received at my pre-surgical skills group classes, it states "Tums 500" 2x/Day.  Is this something that is taken temporarily?  I have heard other people talk about Calcium Citrate.  Is that something completely different? 

HeidiLeigh29
on 3/13/08 3:09 am - Montague, MA
hi they are different. if i were you i would just clarify it with your nut or your surgeon.  they know you best and they get paid the big bucks, so give them a call and ask. gl, heidi
stellalukin
on 3/13/08 5:32 am - Cambridge, MA
In our diet review class, we were told to take the Flintsones (or other chewable) "Complete" for the first month after surgery.  Once we switch to solid food, then we worry about other vitamins, but for the first month, no calcium & no iron supplements.  Your doctor might be different though, so I'd definitely ask.
sunnymoonx
on 3/13/08 7:18 am - cape cod, MA
My surgeon has us take 1500mg calcium citrate daily - (not all at the same time) 2 multivitamins. I take generic centrums now but in the beginning i used chewable centrum. We also have to take B12 sublingual twice a week. It seems to me the "norm" is to take the calcium citrate and not the tums. That the tums are not enough for our needs.  BUT your surgeon knows whats best for YOU.

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Girl ..
on 3/13/08 12:03 pm - MA
Ditto to the last post -  2 chewable vitamins a day until you are able to swallow the pill, then 2 vitamin pills. 1500 mg of calcium citrate ( I initially took chewables, but can now swallow 4 citracal petites a day). 2 B12 sublinguals a week; I generally take one a day under the tongue.  Too much cannot hurt you. and we also take 1 pepcid a day to ward off potential stomach acid issues. I have no problems with this regimen since it also included stopping my diabetic and high cholesterol drugs literally the day of surgery! Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

theresarimini
on 3/13/08 1:36 pm - Belmont, MA
My surgery is the 19th and I ordered vitamins online at www.bariatriceating.com. They are formulated especially for those who have had WLS and are much better than Flintstones.  They also have lots of protein sources - and at a reasonable cost. Susan Maria Leach runs the site and she wrote a great book that I highly recommend: Before & After Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery  Here is what they say about calcium: There are many types of calcium supplements available today. The most common forms of supplemental calcium include calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, and calcium phosphate. Although the different forms of calciums have similar names, they are not the same. Choosing the right supplement can be confusing. Calcium citrate is soluble in water; and Chelazome calcium is absorbed utilizing chelation. All other forms of calcium must be broken down with stomach acid before your body can make use of them - this is why it is recommended that you take other forms of calcium with meals, when stomach acid levels are high, and it is why some other forms of calcium are also sold as antacids. Those who have had bariatric surgery do not have stomach acid to facilitate calcium absorption as the acid is produced in the part of the stomach that is no longer being used. I hope this was helpful.  I wish you the best with your surgery and after. Theresa

stellalukin
on 3/13/08 10:39 pm - Cambridge, MA

Just FYI- my surgeon's office told me in no uncertain terms NOT to listen to what is posted on any message board in the weeks leading up to my surgery.  They told me not to ask other people who have had the surgery- any questions should be phoned in directly to them.   Actually seems like it's pretty good advice. 

txbunny930
on 3/17/08 11:08 pm - MA
My surgeon and nutri said the same thing.  They said that each program has their own set of guidelines to follow and will know what will work best for their patients.  Also, each of us are different in how the WLS reacts to us.  I know it did for me.  Totally changed what I could and couldn't eat.  So your advise is awesome.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

MLONG
on 3/13/08 10:47 pm - Wales , MA
Go to GNC they are great at helping you out  I still take calcium 100 w/magnesium ironchel 18  d-400 one a day also womens ultra mega bone density I have been taking them from 2004 on my new birth year 265 to 100 lb and holding  Maryann 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views