Post op Pain!!!

Lori S.
on 3/12/08 9:19 am - Assonet, MA
Hello Everyone,              I need some feedback......I am 10 days post op and still in some pain. I am taking pain pills every 3-4 hours, & Tylenol every 4 hrs. If I try to go without, the pain is unbearable!!!  I am very surprised to feel this much pain, after reading many posts, I've seen that many people don't even need Pain Meds....I generally have a high tolerance for Pain!!!  I called the PA today to get more Meds, and she was very surprised I still needed them now!!! Never mind more....    I did tell her I have a 3yr old & a 21 month old at home and that maybe I am trying to do to much!!! My husband has been Awesome, but I feel aweful not picking a few toys up....He gets angry when he catches me doing it, but after all, I am A MOM!!!    The PA told me not to bend or anything!!!!  I will do my best!!!  I am still sleeping in a recliner, it is to painful to get out of bed.   Am I alone????
AwesomeForever
on 3/12/08 3:36 pm - Marlborough, MA
I am sorry that you are in pain. I ran a family day care when I was younger, and know that bending is part of the job. I did not have pain, yet I did not bend as often as you may be doing. I think it would have been painful to have my youngest grandchildren over within the first two weeks. I was asked if I could watch them, and said I did not feel able. I was cleaning closets, and cabinets at the time...but you can leave stuff piled up. Not a good response to a year old baby...she would come over and want to be picked up! I am 10 weeks out by the time you read this tomorrow. Linda
HeidiLeigh29
on 3/13/08 3:19 am - Montague, MA
everyone's pain tolerance is different. i had stopped taking any narcotics for pain b4 i left the hospital.  I went home on extra strength tylenol.  Was i pain free...no...   was it tolerable...yes...  I was uncomfortable for a few weeks, but not in enough "pain" to take narcotics..but like i said at first, everyone's tolerance level is different.  I had laprascopic...which if you had open would be a completely different story.... hope you feel better soon heidi
ks4
on 3/13/08 3:21 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hello, I run a daycare out of my house (four of my own & 3 daycare kids).  I had surgery on a Thursday and I was running my daycare that following Monday (only 4 days post op).  I find it very suprising that you are still in pain.  Did you have your surgery laproscopic or open?  If it was open then I completely understand.  If it was laproscopic I don't understand why you are having so much pain.  You shouldn't be having any pain.  If I were you I'd go and see the surgeon.  You could have some kind of infection and would want to catch it early if that is the case.   I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but at 10 days post op you should be feeling much better.  Please call your surgeon and get it checked out. hth, Kendra

Lori S.
on 3/13/08 5:01 am - Assonet, MA
Thanks for all the feedback ladies, and If I had only waited one more day....I would not have written!! It was almost over night, that I began to feel so much better. I tried only using the Tylenol today and was able to get by. I did ask the PA if there could be a problem, but when I explained the pain I had, she said it sounded normal..... I kind of got carried away yesterday, It is not really unbearable!!!!!  I would just need to sit for a while( probably what I should have been doing from the beginning) I am even going to attempt sleeping in my bed tonight...lol....      Other than all this, I feel great!!! I am able to tolerate most of my liquids, and am really excited to get this journey going!!!! Thanks for all the feedback, it really makes me feel like others do care!!!!!     Lori
Lauryn
on 3/20/08 2:38 am - Abington, MA
Lori, So sorry to hear that you are still in pain!  I probably would have had mine longer if I hadn't had the blessing of my niece beside me, pushing me to walk.  My pain, as she kept telling me was from gas & inactivity. Even though it didn't feel like it.  But as soon as my surgeon told me that I could take liquid Mylanta, it was gone like a flash!  My surgery was done laproscopically, so that's what caused all the gas.  If you're sure the pain is not that, then I would highly reccommend contacting your surgeon.  Better safe than sorry. God Bless, Laurie
Lori S.
on 3/20/08 5:58 am - Assonet, MA
Hi Lauryn,                     Thanks for your message, I too had the surgery done lap. I must have done 45 laps around the nurses block while inpatient. I did have a very difficult time getting rid of all the gas, even with activity..I was also very relieved when I went to the Nut. and she said the pain I had was not totally unusal...she said many people suffer pain for that length of time....she reminded me I had just had Major surgery....I told her how I felt like I was all alone, how most people on the web sites  talk about how little pain, or how they experience no pain....she said many people do experience minimal to no pain, but it is not unusual to feel a lot of pain either....  Anyway, I saw the Dr today for my 2 week post op and everything went well...I am down 30lbs... He was pleased.....  Good luck to you,  when did you have your surgery? Let's be friends, Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views