? Surgery Shopping List ?

Jessica O.
on 3/10/08 2:47 am - Grafton, MA

Hi everyone!  I am scheduled to have my Gastric Bypass surgery at UMass Memorial in 2 weeks.  I am trying to gather a list of items to bring with me to the hospital and also things that I will need once I am home.  I've got the basics covered, such as the Carnation Instant Breakfast, Vitamins, Sugar Free Jello, Sugar Free Popsicles.  I would love to hear if there is anything in particular that others brought with them to the hospital that they found helpful, or if there are things that were bought for post surgery.   Any and all recommendations is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!   

ks4
on 3/10/08 3:09 am - Fitchburg, MA
I really didn't bring anything to the hospital.  They have everything you need there pretty much.  I brought my chapstick and my cell phone. As for home.... egg beaters cottage cheese soups (all different kinds) dry milk (lots of smoothies call for it) benefiber fruit (bananas, blueberries, strawberries) (to blend up w/the smoothies) splenda yogart  (Fage w/a little splenda is great and has lots of protein) My brain is drawing a blank right now, but I hope this helps. ~Kendra

txbunny930
on 3/10/08 4:44 am - MA

For the short amount of time you'll be at the hospital, you'll only need chap stick and clothes you'll be wearing home.  The hospital supplies everything else you will need during that time.

As for food for when you come home.  Be careful as to buying anything as your taste buds can change.  Mine did and I became lactose intolerant as well as not being able to eat meat for 7 months.  So buy a limited amount of Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Sugar free popsicles, jello, pudding, cottage cheese, eggs, yogart and soups are the basics but your surgeon's office should be handing you a list of what to eat for weeks 1, 2, 3, etc. and you'll need to follow those instructions.  Don't go crazy with food stuff because you'll only be able to eat very little.  One thing you might want to invest in is a food scale, blender and new measuring spoons/cups.  One of the best gifts I got was from a pre op that made a basket for me and they put new measuring spoons and cups in it for me.  Love it and never thought of it. Good luck.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views