I just need some advice... ...

Jessica O.
on 2/28/08 2:58 am - Grafton, MA
Hi everyone ... My surgery date is nearing.  It's a little less than 1 month away (3/24/08).  I wanted to seek some advice on something that I have been thinking about.  The only people that are aware I am having WLS are my immediate family (parents, sisters, husband, close friends).  I was planning on not telling the rest of the family (aunts, uncles).  That was until I realized that I will be seeing them on the day before my surgery for Easter Sunday (3/23/08).  On that day, I must be on liquids all day.  I just need some advice/help with a good story to tell, for why I am not eating all of the wonderful food that we have on Easter Sunday.  The only thing that I have thought of so far, is to just say that I am sick ... have no appetite (reason for why I am only having some chicken broth).  I'm just wondering if anyone else has any other better ideas.  Any and all advice is greatly appreciate.  Thanks!    
KellyMASS
on 2/28/08 4:33 am - MA
If you don't want them to know I'd just say that I'm feeling a little under the weather and I'm sticking to fluids today..
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

stellalukin
on 2/28/08 5:02 am - Cambridge, MA
That's exactly what I would say- something like you're having trouble keeping anything down.  Whenever I am playing sick I find that a little white powder on my face & a little red eyeliner around my eyes can be very convincing :) 
sunnymoonx
on 2/28/08 5:20 am - cape cod, MA
I agree,  you aren't feeling well. have a tunny ache and want to stick to broth.

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Jessica O.
on 2/28/08 5:25 am - Grafton, MA

Thank you so much gal's ... I was thinking that playing sick would be my best excuse, but I was curious if anyone would come up with anything else.  Thanks!  

jereyes
on 2/28/08 5:50 am - Tyngsboro, MA
You could say that you are doing a liqui diet.   Then when your relatives see you again they will think that your liquid diet worked miracles.  I would be upset as a relative if you said that you weren't feeling well.  My first reaction would be why are you here  and I don't want to get what you have.   Could you stay homeand just not go. Just a couple of suggestions.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Lori S.
on 2/29/08 12:23 am - Assonet, MA
Hello, another approach you could take, is saying you are having some type of test...:ie ultrasound  of some organ, that you need to do a liquid diet prep for...then, you won't get all the follow up questions , So how are you feeling???  I will try to find and actual test that needs a liquid prep and let you know..Then you can  say your Dr. wants to be sure all is well with the organ.    Actually, an ultrasound of the stomach to look for lesions ( Ulcers, cysts)                 Just an Idea....Good Luck with Easter and surgery....I'm scheduled for Monday....Yoo Hoo...... ps: you might want to look up an ultrasound of the stomach just to prepare for questions.....
Discovery02466
on 2/29/08 10:35 am - Newton, MA
Or you could say you're trying Slim Fast for a bit...I told a few co-workers that was what I was doing...My liquid diet was two shakes and a healthy dinner, so it fit...

~Jenn

Lauryn
on 3/6/08 1:38 am - Abington, MA
Jessica, If you told them you were having a colonoscopy, that is a procedure that requires the same prep as our surgery, so that would alleviate any contagion fears.  Personnally, I told anyone who would listen, but it's your choice. Good luck with both! Laurie
Richard
on 3/6/08 3:18 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
You don't need to lie about it. Just say "doctors orders, and I don't want to talk about it."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views