PCP's

Meridith H.
on 2/25/08 1:06 am - Southbridge, MA

HI everyone, I need a little help. I am in the Southbridge/Sturbridge area and I need to change my pcp. I can't handle the hostility anymore. She does not believe in WLS and feels like I am making a huge mistake and has used scare tactics about vitimans and bowel obstructions and how it doesn't work, people gain all the weight back.

She and I have disagreed on other thing but this is the last straw. She is also obese and told me. She knows if she buckles down the weight comes off.

So does anyone know a pcp in my area? that they might recommend? My surgery is most likely going to be out of Mercy Hospital with Dr. Kasper.

Thanks,

Meridith

KellyMASS
on 2/25/08 3:45 am - MA
Sorry you are having a problem with your PCP...you would think she'd support you seeing how she was a weight issue herself..... though I am not sure where to look  I'd check the yellow pages or even online and see what you can find in you area.. I wish you well with everything.
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Meridith H.
on 2/25/08 9:17 am - Southbridge, MA
Thanks Kelly, I went to my insurance site but I just look at the names and wonder if they will be supportive or not. So I thought maybe if someone had one to refer Thanks Meridith
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/25/08 10:06 am - 128 Belt, MA
why don't  you try this in reverse...all the surgeon you prefer and ask them who they recommend as a primary care physician, or who has referred patients into their office. Then you will know. My PCP and PA are very supportive, but they are here in Needham. Too far, I know. Joan
Meridith H.
on 2/25/08 10:42 am - Southbridge, MA
Thanks Joan, that is a good idea. I will ask him. His office is not really close either but he may know someone out this way.  Thanks, Meridith
MelissaJane
on 3/9/08 11:20 am - near Boston, MA
Ugh, that sucks - clearly your PCP has her own issues, and can't put them aside when treating patients.  How frustrating for you, and so sabotaging.  I just met with my own PCP (who I barely know, I'd seen her once previously) about WLS, and I was expecting her to be difficult about it, and she was GREAT - so not all PCPs are like yours. In addition to asking your surgeon, I'd simply call the offices of a few likely prospects and ask the question.  Explain that you are looking for a new PCP, and one of your major concerns is finding someone who can help with your followup care following WLS (I'm not sure what you're planning, but if it's RNY or DS, you'll need frequent blood monitoring of nutrient levels).  Ask if the doctor has any other patients who've had WLS, and if he/she is supportive of WLS in general.  The person who answers the phone will probably not be able to answer your questions, so ask to speak to Dr. ____'s nurse or ask if the doctor (or someone else) could call you back with an answer.   Good luck! 
Meridith H.
on 3/9/08 7:08 pm - Southbridge, MA
Thanks MelissaJane, asking about follow up is a great idea and one I had not thought of. This would kill two birds with one stone ( wow in writing I don't like that saying..lol) because obviously I will need someone who can do that. Thanks again, Meri
stellalukin
on 3/9/08 10:28 pm - Cambridge, MA

Everyone who I have met with in the medical community recently has been very supportive of the RNY- not just my doctors, but med students, etc.   If your PCP isn't supportive of WLS and you are struggling with that, then either ask around or ask your PCP for a referral.  I would not be shy about saying "going forward I would prefer to work with a provider who is supportive of my decision to have the surgery, and I don't feel that you are supportive.  Could you recommend someone?"  I think you'll find out within a minute whether your doctor was just having a bad day or is truly not supporting your decision.  You pay for your insurance, therefore you pay the doctor.  They work for you, not the other way around (as much as they would have us think it). It's too much of a hassle to find a new PCP without at least trying to get what you need from the one you already have (I think).

ClareB
on 3/10/08 12:03 am - MA

You know when I was pregnant, there was a website for Gestational Diabetes that offered peoples opinions of what she called, Weight Friendly Providers..... I would search that....i am going to do that and send you a PM if I get some ideas for you ok?  Chin Up....or chins in my case...LOL

Meridith H.
on 3/10/08 9:19 am - Southbridge, MA
Thank you Stella I am going to need to move on from her but you are right we need to make sure the are WLS wise. Thanks for the website Clare and for idea to look for someone that way. Meri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views