new and need to vent

jones22
on 2/11/08 1:55 am
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but it's the closest thing I can imagine. My name is Ben and I am having a tough time right now. I hope nobody minds if I vent a little here. First off I am 25 years old and about 400lbs (Yikes!). I have always struggled with my weight. I was in the gastric bypass program at UMASS. I had gone through relatively quickly. The biggest problem was having to reschedule appointments because I don't drive and it's sort of a pain to get a ride to Worcester sometimes. I had gone through the classes and everything. I had to make the follow up with behavioral med when I got a letter saying that they had never received my final payment of $100. I knew I had sent it in but of course had trouble locating the money order receipt. Basically while I was trying to sort this mess out I got another letter informing me that my account had closed. Needless to say, I was upset. Time passed (it's been about a year). I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was hospitalized for the better part of December. Now, on top of thyroid meds and ibuprofrin, I am on glucophage twice a day and insulin four times a day! My Endocrinologist told me to contact the weight center because with my diabetes and such it is more important than ever. I have contacted them both by email and calling. It's been about a month since my first email and still no response. When I call I am told that somebody would have to call me back with the information that I want. I want to know how to get back into the program. Will I have to start over again? It's all so frustrating. Such a source of stress for me!! Thanks for listening and sorry for going off like this.
KellyMASS
on 2/11/08 4:04 am - MA
I'd say call and call and then call again until you talk to someone who can help you. If you got the money order at a bank they can check and see if it was cashed. - I've had to do that before.  Also don't give up .. you may have to start the program over again - I'm not sure.  I wish you well on your journey, be strong. ~ Kelly
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Beth1019
on 2/11/08 4:35 am - Marlboro, MA
I'm sorry to hear you are going thru such a difficult time with all of this.  I went thru the program at Umass and had lap band surgery.  For me it was about a 6 month program from beginning until my surgery date.  If I were I would keep calling and calling again to get some answers.  I hope this all works out for you so your 2008 will be a healthier one!!
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/11/08 9:52 pm - 128 Belt, MA

Since your medical needs have changed, Perhaps your prmary care doc can make a phone call and ask them to re-open the case quickly for you.  Can't help to ask. Joan

VMansfield
on 2/11/08 10:47 pm
I am not sure who you e-mailed but you should try Dr. Gitkind.  Email him directly and leave him a voicemail.  You need to be released  by him, the Nutritionist and the Behaviorial health people before you can see a surgeon.  Don't give up.... Be nice, but be persistent.  Don't just sit back and wait for them to call you back.  If you are ready for this take control and it will happen.  Good Luck!
millamename
on 2/14/08 11:02 am - MA
Hi Ben-  I am new too.  My name is Andrea.  I have been fighting with everyone to get this surgery done because I wanted to avoid the comorbidities that come along with obesity.  I go to the gym pretty regularly so my BMI was .2  (yes there is a point in front of that) under the required BMI to be considered without the high BP, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.  Well after a year and a half of going back and forth -  I have now actually developed diabetes and sleep apnea.  I just can't see why they wouldn't use weigth loss surgery as a preventative measure as well.  My doctor had me coming in regualry to check in with him and provide my gym routine- signed by an instructor and my diet.- which I admittedly have portion control issues.   I have had all kinds of tests done but I was healthy as a horse-  just happened to also be the size of one!!!!  Hey if you can't laugh at yourself than you will just be miserable!!    So now I am happy that I will be able to get the surgery but disappointed that I had to wait until the side effects of obesity cught up to me.  Despite my efforts!!!  So I would suggest what someone else said too-  ask your Dr. to make a call for you to get you back in given all of your new diagnoses.  Wish you the best of luck!!   Give it all of your effort and follow through!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views