What is a lightweight?

ks4
on 2/6/08 11:11 am - Fitchburg, MA
What is it that makes one a lightweight?  Is there some magic number?  I hear of people mentioning that they're lightweights, but am unsure what exactly that is. Kendra

jereyes
on 2/6/08 9:11 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Kendra I started off as a "lightweight".  It is someone that has about 100lbs to lose or their BMI started at 40 or under. I spend some of my time on the lightweight board because you are not ridiculed because you had surgery and did not have to lose 200 pounds like some people on the mainboard.  Many people look down upon "lightweights"  and stating you don't need surgery.  In reality we do to improve our health and the quality of life like anyone else who is MO. It depends on who you ask some people will say BMI is to be under 45.  I hope this clears thing up for at least a little bit.  Looks like you are doing a great job on your weightloss! Janet
Discovery02466
on 2/7/08 8:13 am - Newton, MA

From my experience as a "lightweight" I totally agree with Janet's assessment...My BMI when I was approved for surgery was 40.9 with no co-morbidities (although I do have PCOS and that should be one!)...One of the reasons I chose not to tell alot of people prior to surgery was for fear of being judged and/or ridiculed for my choice...I added it up and have spent close to $10K in the past 8-10 or so years on failed weight loss programs (and I am NOT wealthy!)...I needed a stronger tool to fight this battle, so off I went and am on my way to hopefully losing 111lbs...The lightweights board is also good for support because you tend to lose weight differently than those who have more to lose...I never even knew it existed until weeks after my surgery!

~Jenn

Jessica O.
on 2/7/08 2:09 am - Grafton, MA

Wow, that's funny ... I always thought "lightweight" was the term people used to describe someone who can not handle a lot of alcohol.  It only takes them a little bit to become buzzed/drunk ... therefore they are a lightweight.  Well, I guess the phrase is used in regards to weight loss surgery too.  Good to know!

millamename
on 2/14/08 11:38 am - MA
Wow people actually do that to you?  That is ridiculous!! Just becuase I may only have approx 110-115 to lose shouldn't put me out into a "lesser" category.  I still can;t fit into a carnival ride seat,  I still have to shop at the fat girl store.  I still get ridiclued in public.  People freely make comments to me about how big I am.  The fact of the matter is-  I just happen to be taller.  So  I am a sasquatch next to the average person, So I  may still be put down for not having to lose so much.  I just find that absurd and hope that noone would actually do that.   I came here for support and advice from people who have had weightloss surgery,  I don't care if someone lost 10 lbs or 200lbs-  I am still gonna congratulate you on your loss regardless of how much it is.  That is what this should be about.  Not another place where you will be outed cause of your weight .  Sorry for my tangent-  I just have had 2 instances that I was publically emabrrassed and just can;t handle be put down anymore.  Thanks for listening  Andrea
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views