Newton-Wellesley? - *Update in OP*

moneypenny
on 1/31/08 10:20 pm, edited 2/5/08 12:47 am - MA

Has anyone had their surgery done at Newton-Wellesley? If so, I'm very interested in hearing about the process you went through, timeline from when you attended your first meeting to when you had your surgery, etc.  I've heard many good things about their program, but I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row.  thanks in advance! Randi 

** Just talked with Marina at the WL Center at NWH.  She was SO helpful.  I'm attending the meeting on Feb. 28 and have my four-hour scheduled for March 11th.  I'm so excited!!!

58 pounds gone, 50 more to go. :)

ks4
on 1/31/08 11:33 pm - Fitchburg, MA
I had my surgery done through Newton-Wellesley.  I first went the the new patient meeting on 2/22/07, then I dragged my feet a bit.  So I guess you could start my timeline more so when I first started going to the required meetings. 5/3/07 Community support group meeting 5/10/07 0-6 month group meeting 5/16/07 pre-op visit 6/17/07 Psycologist visit (this was delayed due to the psychologist was ill for my original appt) Wait for insurance change.  My insurance changed as of 7/1/07.  This cause a very minimal delay. 7/9/07 Got first insurance approval letter (BCBS out of NH) 7/17/07 Got secondary insurance approval letter (MassHealth) 7/25/07 Got a date! 8/9/07 Blended Diet class 8/23/07 Surgery! Hope this timeline helps give you an idea of the timeframe it could be for you.  Mine was a little longer because of my insurance change. Kendra

moneypenny
on 2/1/08 2:18 am - MA
That was very helpful, thanks!!!!

58 pounds gone, 50 more to go. :)

Holliewheeler
on 2/1/08 2:31 am - leominster, MA
Heres my time line. i had not delays or hold ups. july 26th, new pat meeting aug 15th my 4hours visit got to see everyone  on 9/13 i had my 0-6 meeting on 9/18 did my community meeting. had 2 sleep studies because i had apnea and  10/1 was my pre-op diet review and  10/12 did my pre testing and final weigh in and on 10/23 was my surgery.   so all and all was pretty quick. p.s don't mind my typing i just had 4 wisdoms removed and on some good pain killers so things a little blurry.
megan W.
on 2/1/08 2:46 am - kittery, ME
Hi Newton Wellesley is a good Hospital. I had my surgery on Nov 19th. August 07 New Patient September 07 new patient October Sleep study Nov 07 2nd sleep study 0-6 months meeting-October November meeting November 19th had the surgery. Megan W butch074

Lisa9432
on 2/2/08 6:21 am
Hi - I just had my surgery 1/28 at Newton-Wellsley, and from start to fini****'s been an amazing and supportive experience. I started down this road over a year ago, but due to a change in my primary care physician, my road to get here was longer than it should have been. When I finally got approval from my Dr, it was in mid-October. I got my first appointment in mid-Novemer, approval by the end of November, and a surgery date for the end of January. Not only has Dr. Guzmari and his staff been wonderful (helpful, I felt completely informed and taken care of), but the whole hospital experience was great too. On top of their top-notch skills, they were all caring, nice, and made the whole experience great. They were all very familiar with the procedure, knew what I was going through, and were there for me. Can you tell, I'm a fan for life?
AwesomeForever
on 2/2/08 10:19 am - Marlborough, MA

Hello Randi Today, I was wandering around Higgins Armory and climbing the stairs with youngsters without a care nor shortness of breath. I went to the New Patient Instructional Meeting on August  30th. All new patient meetings are the last Thursday of the month. There were quite a few that signed up for the consultation. In fact, the room was full of people. Would I get a date this year I wondered. I was given a date in October to come in. You will get a packet that contains all sorts of forms and information. It contains the date and time of your consultation. It was a long visit with several people from the psychologist who loved me, to the surgeon, nurse, et****pt walking the hall from the bathroom to the office. It is a long hall. I met with so many people, I thought how am I going to remember their names. I went down to have lab work. From other posts that I have read this is not usually done all in one day at other offices or hospitals. Imagine if you had to take several days to complete each part of this one visit at Chestnut Surgical. In the decision making, I was determined to pay all of the bill up front. I did not want anything hanging over my head.  November then December would have enough bills. You get a green notebook with all sorts of information. It was told to me that I needed to get the notebook signed on a page and always bring it to the community meetings. I went to several support meetings, and even managed to see a plastic surgeon's work documented in his photographs. I kind of thought, please do not ask me to let you take pictures! This is further down the line for me. So, before my second visit, I received a letter with the date of the pre-op visit, and the date for the blended diet visit. There was the letter in my hand...January 3rd for RNY. I was sent a letter right away that said I needed to take Vitron C which would increase my iron level in my blood. I was also given a perscription for Vitamin D to take every week for 6 weeks.  I chose Pablo Gazmuri as my surgeon. I learned that Sheila Partridge was in to assist him. I think they are both excellent in their work, and bedside manner following the surgery. My friend had surgery at UMASS Memorial, she was in pain when I saw her near 3 the following day. She had not had a visit from her surgeon yet. Also, it is a teaching hospital and the students were having trouble (1) getting blood (2) checking her intestines. She had a more difficult time then I did. The professional nurses at Newton Wellesley were excellent. I can commend their fine work, help in answering questions, suggestions for getting the gas moving, and friendliness. I did not sleep much there because you need to be closely monitored. I have sleep apnea and did not need that test.  The surgeon gave me a date a couple of months down the line to get ready with knowledge, emotionally, and spiritually. To give you time to attend the support meetings of your choice, and get your affairs in order for the time you will be out of work. It is recommended that you be out for 6 weeks. All in all this was an excellent experience. I am continuing in their care, and in the support meetings. Hope to see you there. Linda Linda

KellyMASS
on 2/3/08 2:22 am - MA
1/2007 Instructional meeting. 4/18/2007 saw surgeron/nut/phy for first time 5/2007 found out ins was going to require me to do a 6 month supervised diet with a nut. 9/2007 completed 6 month diet 10/9/2007 got surgery date 12/04/2007 had surgery If you plan on going to NWH I'd call soon to get in .. there can be a wait- but it is well worth it.. they are great and I am very happy that  I had surgery with them.
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Cher B.
on 2/3/08 3:32 am - MA
Hey Randi,   I booked my consult appointment late Oct 2006 and the consult was Jan 17, 07.  My surgery was May 7, 07.  They could have gotten me a surgery date earlier but I wanted to give myself some time and scheduled when my parents could make the trip up from SC.  I can't say enough good about the staff and surgeons.  Dr. Gazmuri was my surgeon and I absolutely adore him!  Keep us posted as you move forward. ~Cher
Ann K.
on 2/3/08 5:29 am - Holbrook, MA
My first appointment with Dr. Gazmuri was early in May, 2007.  My surgery was July 30, 2007.  I LOVE Dr. Gazmuri and the staff at Newton Wellesley.  I thought they were great.  I'm down 97 pounds since May (I really wanted to hit 100 by my six month appointment on Tuesday) and I can't believe the change.  I don't avoid stairs and the pain in my knees is gone.  I would recommend NWH to anyone!
Lap RNY 7/30/07
Newton Wellesley Hospital
Dr. Gazmuri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs