new to this

antonietta23
on 1/30/08 3:49 am - Holbrook, MA
This is my first posting I am in the infant stage of this whole process. I went two years ago and was evaluated and I was to scared to go the next step. I am currently waiting for my first appointment at Mass general Hospital , I am now ready to undertake this whole process, I  have been reading from this and other sites to gather all the information I need.   I would appreciate any insight and advice as well as any information about the Mass. Generals doctors.  At the present I have begun watching all that I am eating and have been losing some weight . Thanks for any advice
KellyMASS
on 1/30/08 5:07 am, edited 1/30/08 5:08 am - MA
First let me say congrats on you starting your journey!.. It's a wild ride!.. I did not go to Mass General, But I am sure you'll be ingreat hands. as for advice I could give,.. keep a diet/food journal- it helped me. Also any exercise you can do now will help you later, even if it's walking or light weights ~Kelly
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

chinamomma
on 1/31/08 2:48 am - Norton, MA
Hi - I had my surgery at MGH two years ago and I can tell you, you will be in good hands!  I had Dr. Janey Pratt and she was amazing!!  She really knows what she is doing, she pays attention, she is really approachable, etc.  I worked at MGH at the time and had the inside scoop from the staff on the inpatient floor re: who to ask for and everyone I spoke to said Janey is great!  I had a great surgical course and when I needed my gallbladder out and some adhesions removed 6 months ago, I had her again and I can't say enough about her.  I was back to work after the gallbladder surgery in three days - feeling perfectly fine!  Also, she really listened.  My symptoms were vague, I almost didn't even mention them, but she paid attention, did testing and figured out what was wrong before it became a crisis.  She often has a longer wait than the other surgeons, but that is because she is so good (not that the others aren't great too - she's just the one that I know the best).  Also, the program in general is run much better than others that I have witnessed - they do great pre-op and post -op preparation and teaching - to really help you make the most out of the surgery.  Good luck!! Eileen
Midgie67
on 1/31/08 4:41 am - Yuma, AZ
I want to ditto everything Eileen said.  I also had Dr. Pratt...the best.  She is very caring and does listen.  The program at MGH is very educational and everyone on the staff is like Dr. Pratt. Good Luck!!! Margery
antonietta23
on 1/31/08 9:21 am - Holbrook, MA

Thank you so much for your information,  I have been doing research as well and I want to have dr. Pratt,  Can you tell me if I tell them who I want is that how it works and I have no problem waiting longer for her,  I went thu this three years ago and I got cold feet, but I am truly ready this time. 

chinamomma
on 1/31/08 10:44 pm - Norton, MA
If they are still doing things the way they did two years ago, they asked me if I had a preference.  They told me about the different surgeons and who had what experience, who does what procedures, etc.   They did tell me if I wanted a date sooner I could pick another surgeon, but I was clear on who I wanted and that I was willing to wait a couple extra months to get the person I felt most comfortable with.  Good luck with everything.  If you have other questions feel free to email me.  I know several people who had Janey (friends and co-workers) and everyone has had a great experience and a great outcome!  Take care Eileen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views