Alcohol

honeymoo
on 1/28/08 5:42 am - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
Hey Kendra! I just had alcohol for the 1st time since surgery last month, I had 1/2 of a key lime MArtini, can you say yummmmm and later I had captain morgan and ginger ale, I do fine with sugar so no problems there.  I did get buzzed quick but it also left quick.  Although the next day I had quite the headache I made sure to load up on the water, although I was drinking water in between alcoholic drinks. I must say I did not enjoy the headache and the yucky feeling the next day so I won't be doing that again for a long ass time but I did have a blast the night before Hope all is well with you Gwen

BE AN ANGEL DONATE LIFE   People to weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours

ks4
on 1/28/08 9:57 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Gwen, So you were able to do soda too?  I'm so scared to even try any of that stuff.  I'm so afraid of getting back into old habits.  Drinking alcohol wasn't an old habit, I barely drank at all, but it would be nice to have a drink once in while...I just wish I could see the nutrition facts.  Not that alcohol has any good nutrition in it, I still want to see it what it is. Thanks so much for the info though.  I hope you're doing well. Kendra

honeymoo
on 1/28/08 8:39 pm - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
That's the 1st time with any soda as well, I also don't want to get  back into those habits.  As you can see I was well over a year out before I had either and it will be a long time before I have either again.  I do not miss soda at all.  Before I had surgery if I drank twice a year that's saying something   I think we all know there is nothing good nutritionally in alcoholic drinks.  I had 2 drinks over probably a 5 hour period with water in  between.  If you have a problem with sugar (which I do not unfortunately) you need to check the sugar content.  I also alotted for it in my calorie intake over the week.   Things are going well, I start treatments tomorrow so we'll see, thanks for asking Gwen

BE AN ANGEL DONATE LIFE   People to weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours

foobear
on 1/28/08 8:04 am - Medford, MA
I'm 9 weeks out, and I tried a small glass of dry white wine at my sister's b-day party.  I used to drink very infrequently (and not at all since RNY except for this one time).  I was hoping to test the effect it had on me, but 3-4 oz of wine must still be too little to really judge.  However, I thought it hurt my pouch a bit, so I didn't push things by trying more. Note, too, that alcohol also seems to have a negative effect on the rate of weight loss above and beyond the fact that it's itself calorie-dense, at least if you make it a habit. Basically, if the liquor or liqueur is sweet, your can rely on it having a significant amount of simple sugars.  I wonder if some of the on-line diet-tracing forums have info on liqueurs like Kahlua...  Yes, www.fitday.com apparently does:  16.3 g of carbs (likely all simple sugars) and 7.5 g of alcohol per fluid oz. Hope this helps, Steve
Alcoholic beverage, liqueur, coffee, 53 proof
Serving:    

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 fl oz
Calories 116.93 Calories from Fat 0.94

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 0.104g 0%

Saturated Fat 0.0369g 0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0365g  

Monounsaturated Fat 0.00766g  

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 2.78mg 0%

Potassium 10.44mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 16.29g 5%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 0.0348g 0%

Alcohol 7.55g  
ks4
on 1/28/08 10:01 am - Fitchburg, MA
Thank you very much Steve.   I'm not looking to make it a habit.  I just was looking for something I can drink on the rare night out I get about every six months.  (I have four kids and finding a sitter for four kids isn't easy...therefore, I don't get out much). Kendra

Cher B.
on 1/28/08 10:04 am - MA
I do have an occasional beer and drink it very slow when I do.  So far, I have not gotten buzzed or drunk.  I worry about the carbonation a bit so I try to give it a discrete swish in my mouth before I swallow it to cut down the carbonation.  The first time I had it was probably about 4 months out.
ks4
on 1/28/08 10:34 am - Fitchburg, MA
I never liked beer, but there are some carbonated beverages that I like, just too afraid to try them.  One that I really like is Smirnoff Ice Grape.  Oh so yummy.  Wish I could have it. 

M M
on 1/29/08 7:41 am
Straight up vodka is okay.  ;-)
ks4
on 1/29/08 10:49 pm - Fitchburg, MA
I'm not a vodka fan, how about tequila? Kendra

CCbeachgirl
on 1/30/08 1:33 am - Taunton, MA
I am 7 wks out with the Lap Band.  I started with simply smart fat free milk and Kalhau.  I didn't have any problems at all.  I lost a good friend last week and drank 3/4 of bottle of semi dry reisling.  It didn't make me feel any better but I didn't have other issues either.  I got a little more buzzed than I would have pre surgery.  I am a wine drinker and collector.  I also like Rum and Vodka.  I like tequila but it doesn't like me.  So far it's been "try and see how far you get".    Remember:  Don't drink and drive.

Start Weight  /  Pre-op Weight  / Current Weight  /  Goal
          254               240                         220                      160

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views