Alcohol

ks4
on 1/27/08 10:36 pm - Fitchburg, MA
I have some questions and hope that any post-ops could help me. I was never a big alcohol drinker.  I was more of a social drinker.  Since surgery I haven't really had anything.  I tried two sips of merlot at christmas, but that's it.  Friday night I went out with some friends.  Everyone was drinking and having a great time.  I didn't drink at all.  I guess I can honestly say I was bored.  I mean it was interesting being completely sober and observing everything, but I think I would have had much more fun if I could have had a little "buzz" to take the edge off. So my question is... Since surgery have you tried alcohol? What did you have? How did it effect you? How far (post-op) out were you? I haven't found an alcohol drink yet that has a nutrition label on it to state what the sugar content is, so this is why I haven't had anything.  (I haven't really been looking very hard either).  I have not experienced dumping syndrome, nor do I want to.   Thanks for your help, Kendra

VMansfield
on 1/28/08 12:44 am
I drink very little.  All in all, too many calories and just not good for me.  Having said that I have had a few drinks since my surgery 10 months ago.  Very mellow though.  Kalluah and skim milk, and only one.  I think being the sober one takes some practice.  But once you feel comfortable in it you will probably better off! I didn't try anything until I was 6 months out.  You definitely will feel it more and sooner.  You may want to lie down and go to sleep like I did the first time.
ks4
on 1/28/08 2:27 am - Fitchburg, MA
Now Kahlua was my question.  Kahula is my favorite!  I even e-mailed Kahula today  to find out what the sugar content is in it.  I'm not looking to get drunk or anything.  Just one drink is good for me too, but just wanted to know what I could have.

VMansfield
on 1/28/08 3:09 am
I have no idea how much sugar is in it.  i would imagine it has more than some other alcohols but it hasn't seemed to bother me.  I can tolerate sugar in small amounts. 
ks4
on 1/28/08 3:21 am - Fitchburg, MA
I haven't had anything with more than 2grams of sugar.  I'm afraid to.  I don't want to have "dumping syndrome", nor do I want to find out that I could tolerate it.  So I'm staying clear of it. Kendra

VMansfield
on 1/28/08 3:28 am
I don't blame you.  Sugar was my downfall before.  I craved it for a long time after surgery.  Somewhere around 5 months I stopped craving it as much.  Now I find that I can be satisfied with just a taste.  But even that I try not to overdo.  Most recently I discoverd these Kashi rolls that are so yummy and satisfy my cravings.  They have 12 grams of Protien, 6 grams of fiber , and 14 grams of sugar:  190 calories.  I know the 14 grams might be too much for some but it sits well with me.  The rolls are chewy, crunchy, a little bit sweet and really hold me over with the protien and carbs.
ks4
on 1/28/08 3:36 am - Fitchburg, MA
See now I crave crunchy things.  I just found a protein bar that fits that bill.  The south beach diet chocolate peanut butter.  I'm really tired of chocolate.  Seems like everything is chocolate.  Never thought that would ever come out of my mouth since I use to be a chocoholic!  But these protein bars don't have a lot of chocolate to them.  They remind me of a rice crispy treat.  They have 19 grams of protein, <1 gram of sugar, 6 grams of fiber with 210 calories. Kendra

VMansfield
on 1/28/08 3:39 am
The atkins breakfast oatmeal raisin are really good to.  The bottom is coated with yogurt.  I agree with you on the chocolate.  that is why I like the kashi rolls so much too.  The oatmeal walnut is delicious!
ks4
on 1/28/08 3:47 am - Fitchburg, MA
Thanks.  I just looked it up.  It has 3 grams of sugar, but those are natural sugars.  So yay!  I'm gonna try them.  Thanks again!

susi
on 1/28/08 12:53 am
I have been post op 5 months...When I do get together with friends I have a sangria with no carbonation and little juice.  If it tastes too sweet I let the ice melt to water it down. One glass is all for me. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views