Can someone help me figure out how much I was bypassed...I need some clarity on the...

Pam M.
on 1/26/08 10:47 pm - west wareham, MA
So I decided to ask my dr how much was bypassed and how big my pouch was...and this is the answer I got....

The gastric pouch is about 30cc in size. The small bowel is divided at 50 cm distal to the ligament of Treitz, and the Roux limb is approximately 80 cm long. 

Anyone know what that means? I was thinking I would get an answer of 120-150cm was bypassed....lol Also does anyone know if this would be a distal or proximal...I never even knew there was a difference and have been hearing lots of talk of people saying they are one or the other. I must of went in pretty blind. I though all RNY were the same aside from bypassing a bit more or less. I had thought they were all between 100-150cm. Man I feel so uneducated...and I hate that. I thought I had researched so well before my surgery!  It is all good for me so I am lucky... I feel fine and have had no issues whatsoever. I just want to know exactly what I had done. I have emailed the nurse at my surgeons office it just takes forever to get an answer so I thought I would ask here too.

TIA

Cher B.
on 1/27/08 2:58 am - MA
When I started reading about the proximal vs ditsal, I asked my surgeon about it.  He said they don't really use those terms for the surgery anymore.  I forget which one was 150-200cm bypassed but I guess that caused too much malabsorption.  Chnaces are you did enough research but have just started comng across some additional info which is not as relevant as is once was.  Ask again if you weren't happy with the answer he gave but you probably were bypasses the range you mentioned.
Pam M.
on 1/27/08 8:51 am - west wareham, MA
I guess the really makes sense. My dad was done awhile back and he did have lots of issues. He thinks he was bypassed around 200cm. Thanks for posting...it made me feel better about my research. I was feeling like a dunce for a bit! Those term were never mentioned at any of the appointments or info sessions...not once. I am awaiting my surgeon's response via email. So I will have an answer it will just take awhile. Thanks again!

VMansfield
on 1/28/08 12:38 am
I also did lots of research but I have absolutely no idea how much I was bipassed or even how big my pouch is.  All seems to be working well so I won't complain!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views