UMass Memorial Weight Center (Worcester, MA)

Jessica O.
on 1/11/08 3:50 am - Grafton, MA
Hi Everyone ... I am a new poster to this board, but not new to Obesity Help.  I am going throught my WLS process at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, MA.  I am just curious if there is anyone that had or will have their surgery their as well?  If so, which physician did you have.  I'd love to hear from anyone.  Thanks!
april116
on 1/13/08 5:44 am
I had my surgery there and I thought they were great.   My surgeon was Dr. Czerniach. The program takes a little while to get through and it can get frustrating having to wait for them to call you for your next appointments but it is worth it in the end.
ClaudiaG
on 1/14/08 12:46 am
Dr. Kelly did my lapband surgery. I LOVED HIM!!!!! His NP, Robyn is awesome, too. Please come to our Thursday evening support meetings.
ClaudiaG
on 1/14/08 12:47 am
I just noticed that you are from Grafton. So am I. Lived here all of my life!
Jessica O.
on 1/14/08 1:59 am - Grafton, MA
Hi Claudia, It's nice to find someone else who has had surgery at UMass.  A lot of people have had their surgery in Boston.  I have been attending the monthly support group meetings.  I really enjoy them.  They have been informative/helpful. 
ClaudiaG
on 1/14/08 2:54 am
Then you know who I am! I sit in the 1st seat, in the 1st row, on the right side of the room.
Jessica O.
on 1/15/08 2:43 am - Grafton, MA
Ohhhhh .... OK .... Cool!  That's exactly what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.  I knew there wasn't a lot of people in the class that have had Lap Band. 
moneypenny
on 1/14/08 2:42 am - MA
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I'm considering going through the UMass program - I was actually planning on going through their Behavioral trac****il I was sidelined with an knee injury.  Turns out that knee injury is full blown arthritis. Yay! For those of you who went through the UMass program - can you outline the process for me? I know you meet with the nutrionists, etc (similar to the behavioral track they offer) but I'd like to hear more about what you experienced. Do they require a supervised diet for a certain number of months? Thanks! Randi

58 pounds gone, 50 more to go. :)

ClaudiaG
on 1/14/08 5:50 am

Hi Randi.

It took me 11 months from my first required surgical information meeting to my surgery date. I met with the medical doc on August 5, 2007. He cleared me and I began jumping through the hoops. I Had my beharioral and psych consults and completed my 4 weeks required classes at the Morgan building on Belmont St. Then I waited and waited.

I didn't need to have a 6 month diet, but I got in right under the wire. I have Tufts insurance, and they required it just after they gave me my approval. Don't worry about the 6 month diet, just doo all of your required appointments, groups, and classes during that time.

I had lapband surgury by Dr. Kelly. I was home the same day by 1 PM. I felt a little sore, but that's all.

Good luck!!! If you ahve any questions, feel free to PM me.

moneypenny
on 1/14/08 9:07 am - MA
Wow, 11 months? That's depressing.  Do you mind me asking why it took that long - from what I've read it seems to take less time than that. 

58 pounds gone, 50 more to go. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views