Pre Op Food Restrictions

bigbill415
on 12/22/07 12:39 am, edited 12/22/07 12:39 am - Andover, MA

I'm going in to Tufts NEMC for LAP RNY on the 26th.  I was in for my preop visit Wednesday but forgot to specifically ask if I had any diet restrictions prior to the surgey.  I'm about 3 pounds away from my required 10% prior to surgery and the only thing I was told was to keep doing what I'm doing...that and eat nothing after midnight the night before. I stopped all the meds they told me to and have instructions not to take certain ones the morning of surgery, but other than not doing the "Last Supper" thing the only instruction I have is to not eat or drink anything after midnight. I will call them on Monday to check -- they're closed and I don't feel the need to bother them now for this silly question...unless one of you guys think I should. Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Bill
                356/324/216/195
Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Goal

Girl ..
on 12/22/07 2:04 am - MA
Hi Bill, I had my surgery at Emerson in Concord and had to do a pre-surgical bowel prep drink the day before my surgery.  And only clear liquids.  Just the one day.   When I had my C-Sections the rule was nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day before surgery (similar to what you heard them say to you).  I have heard of others that do liquids for two weeks prior to surgery. So, all surgical groups are different.  Maybe someone from Tufts NEMC will see your post.  You may even want to repost with TUFTS NEMC in the subject line.   I wish you all the best on Wednesday with your surgery.  I think the first two weeks after are the worst, it gets so much better after month one!  Make sure you get up and moving as quickly as you can and frequently as you can. Take care and Happy Holidays! Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/07 7:34 am - ROXBURY, MA
First good luck in your surgery I had it a year ago, I don't think there's any diet restrictions, try to exercise as much as possible and try to stay as relaxed as possible. Take care and good luck.
seagal1463
on 12/23/07 12:03 am
I had my rny done at Brigham and Womens on Dec. 12 and the only thing I had to do was to not eat after midnight the day before also so that could be right. Good luck with everything. My mother had hers done at Tufts too and loved Dr. Shirkora!!!!!! Googd luck
CarolWannabe
on 12/23/07 9:15 am - Pepperell, MA
Hey Bill -  Good luck with the surgery.  I just had mine on Dec. 10th at Lowell General.  I was told to try to stick with liquids a few days before (as this shrinks the liver and it makes it easier for the Dr. to flip it up during the surgery to get at your stomach).  Also, the bowel prep the day before and nothing to eat or drink after midnight.  I did fine and had no problems or complications with the surgery. Best of Luck and keep us posted !! Carol
bigbill415
on 12/24/07 12:06 am, edited 12/24/07 12:06 am - Andover, MA
Thanks for all of your encouragement and words of advice.  I just got off the phone with the Physician's Assistant at my Surgeon's office.  Se told me that all hospitals and surgeons are different.  My surgeon has found that nothing to eat or drink from midnight on the night before the procedure is plenty of time to clean out the stomach and small intestines-- where he'll be working. No last supper of steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus, bread, 3 or 4 glasses of wine...hey, maybe I should have dinner and just forget all this WLS stuff...oh never mind, I'll just stick to the diet I've been on for the past month and go have the bypass as planned on Wednesday. Merry Christmas to all...

-Bill
                356/324/216/195
Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Goal

ladyr861
on 12/25/07 4:06 am - Tewksbury, MA
My special instructions were the same as yours, nothing to eat or drink after midnight, with the exception of my meds in the morning with a tiny swallow of water.  I just had my surgery last Monday, 12/17.   It went great.  I had to be on the "stage 1" liguid diet for two weeks before the surgery, so i felt pretty cleaned out already... Good luck tomorrow!

M M
on 12/27/07 10:45 am
No restrictions as far as I know - unless they've changed policies since I had my SX.  Hell, I was eating french fries the night before.  :x
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views