On the losers bench at last!

ladyr861
on 12/20/07 11:13 pm - Tewksbury, MA

Hi All, I had my surgery this past Monday, 12/17.  The liquid diet for two weeks before the surgery s**ked BIG TIME.  But it was pretty effective, as I lost 21 pounds on it!  So I guess I was on the losers bench before the surgery. My worst fear going into surgery was that Dr. Ameri would find something wrong with my liver or some other organ and would stop the surgery.  He told us some horror stories in his support group meetings.  One thing that I never knew was that obesity is the third leading cause of psoriasis of the liver. When he met me before the surgery, he was sad because the person who's surgery he had just concluded had a very damaged liver.  Would there be anything worse than waking in recovery to find out that you didnt get the bypass, and your liver is in terrible shape?  Nightmare! The good news is that Dr Ameri said that I did just fine, my insides looked great, and that I had the bypass.  The hospital stay was rough.  The gas pain was bad, my back hurt, my mouth and throat were so dry.  The operation was Monday, and I got nothing to drin****il late Wednesday.  Then I got some foamies when i could finally have little sips of water.  I felt much better Thursday, especially when the IV and the drain were taken out.  And taking a brief shower was heaven.  I came home Thursday early afternoon, and have felt pretty good since.  It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed, on my side.  In the hospital I wondered if I would ever feel normal again, but I do feel pretty normal now.

Medications crushed into water or melted popsicle are pretty yucky.  But I am on a path now, and committed to following instructions.  My follow-up visit with Dr Ameri is Tuesday Jan 2.  I cannot wait to see if I have lost more, and what I can add to my intake variety.  I can do this!

ks4
on 12/20/07 11:25 pm - Fitchburg, MA
Congratulations and welcome to the losers bench! Kendra

Cher B.
on 12/21/07 7:23 am - MA
Congrats on your surgery.  What a great way to ring in the New Year.
ladyr861
on 12/21/07 7:29 am - Tewksbury, MA
Thanks all for your thoughts.  Reading what you all have written on this board really helped to prepare me for this adventure. ~Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views