Getting enough protein?

Finn
on 12/9/07 11:28 am - Charlestown, MA

I don't get in enough protein. I hate those shakes and the bars are gross. I just can't find something I like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am three months out and I just know  should be eating more protein. I think I am eating too many carbs eventhough I don't eat that much at one time. I am looking for some new diet variety. I can tolerate carbs and sugar depending on what it is and now I wish I never tried them so that I wouldn't know I could eat them. If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

-Erin

BradysGirl12
on 12/9/07 1:44 pm - Boston, MA
Hi Erin! Have you tried Unjury unflavored? I am still pre-op but I have tried mixing it in with Crystal Light and I liked it, I used a little extra crystal light and water because i felt it was a little thick. Good luck!

Meg
              *~ Megs ~*
                Starting: 291  Current: 223  Goal: 140
                      Surgery on Jan 2nd, 2008

DramaQueenz
on 12/9/07 2:01 pm - Patriots Nation, MA
Girl ..
on 12/9/07 8:11 pm - MA
Sometimes when I get sick of milky shakes I use Isopure premixed.  They are alot like Koolaid and the only one I really like is grapefrost on lost of ice.  I'm not a big soda/sweet drinker and I tolerate them very well.  They have 40 grams of protein on 20 ounces of drink.  I drink 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon as part of my clear liquid/water req.   Good Luck!

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

Cher B.
on 12/10/07 11:46 pm - MA
Hey Erin,     You may be displacing the protein that you could be getting in with the carbs. Try not to let yourself have them until you have gotten in your protein for that meal.  I have been able to get my protein in without shakes. I'm also not a fan of them.  Have you tried fage yogurt?  It isn't good by itself but I like it with some Splenda in it and sometimes I will put some fruit in it.   I was eating a lot of cheese at 3 months out but now I tend to eat chicken or beef and lots of yogurt.  Fresh mozzerella and tomatoes was something else that I did really well with at 3 months.   Did you have your 3 month appointment yet?  They will probably give you some advice and ideas.  My 3 month is when they suggested that I chill out on the cheese...I was eating it in two meals a day at that point.  Good luck, Cher
scojo58
on 12/16/07 1:48 am - Methuen, MA
Hi, I found that eating crackers with cottage cheese helps to get the proteins in, and doesn't taste as gross as you'd think.  Try adding some protein powder to yogurts, oatmeal, coffee, hot chocolate.  Any little bit can add up.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views