Solids after surgery

Discovery02466
on 12/6/07 10:54 am - Newton, MA
Hello everyone- I'm new to the forum...Just had RNY on 11/19/07 and have been doing really well...Today I was cleared to go to the next stage of my surgeon's program after 16 days of a liquid diet...Stage two for me is ground proteins....I know that everyone's experience is different, but since I haven't had any nausea or vomiting thus far, my question to the forum is...How long will it usually take before you know your new stomach is not going to accept a "new" food?  If you are going to vomit, does it happen pretty quickly?  I know if you eat too much that it does tend to happen pretty quickly, but wasn't sure about the "rejection factor"....Thanks in advance for any opinions! ~Jenn
Girl ..
on 12/7/07 1:51 am - MA
Hi Jenn, I think from everything I read here everyone is different, so I can only speak for me.  I do very well and can eat chicken, pork, good steak, hamburger, tuna etc.  However, early out I made a pot roast and had great problems with that.  I did "know" after only two bites.  I tried again the next day to see if it was just the one time problem and had trouble again.  I had trouble with fish twice, but both times it was overcooked and dry.  I ate fish two other times and it was moist and went down very well.   I have only vomited about three times.  Each time I was in discomfort from eating too fast and not chewing enough and had sips of tea, and shortly after the food would come up.  Some people say that they cannot vomit, even when they wish they could.   Honestly, If I chew really well, eat slowly and reasonable amounts I have no problems at all. Make sure you have plenty of moisture or sauce for your meats, Chili is awesome.   Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

ks4
on 12/7/07 2:48 am - Fitchburg, MA
As in the previous post, I can only speak for myself.  I haven't had any issues really with anything that I've tried yet, however I did have a problem when I ate too fast and didn't chew enough.  Seems to happen only with chicken or turkey.  I did vomit once from that.  After speaking with the nurse at NWH they told me to drink something warm.  After I did that I was fine.  I haven't had this problem again.  I make sure I chew very, very well! Kendra

CareNH
on 12/7/07 10:38 pm - Derry, NH
I am one month post op and have been adjusting to solid foods just as you are starting to.  My biggest problem has been the same as others mentioned. If I eat too fast, I get  a pressure like feeling in my chest.  Even when I stop eating immediately, it seemed to linger. On 3 occassions, my only relief has been to vomit (more like regurgitate). I did not vomit by choice, I felt so miserable, burping, pressure, it just came up. The experience of vomiting post op is very different than what you may think of from the past. It is such a small quantity. I am new to this and have been surprised by what actually makes me feel full- (half a fried egg, three bites of tuna) by no means am I overdoing it! I can eat one cheese stick- but when I tried to eat two bites of yogurt after, UGH- it was too much! Be careful to take your time, chew, chew, chew, take small bites ! Good Luck- it is definately a learning process.  Carolyn

Highest Weight- 306, BMI: 43.9
Current Weight- 168, BMI: 24.1
Goal Weight- 165,  BMI:  23.6

Discovery02466
on 12/8/07 12:10 am - Newton, MA
Thanks to everyone for all your responses!  I am doing well on the mushy solids so far and haven't gotten sick (other than a few burps)...I have heard so many bad things about chicken so I haven't gotten up the "nerve" to try it yet...The ground turkey in my chili seems fine, so I might start with ground chicken...It is such a learning process to chew for so long, isn't it? Lol...I'm also not sure if I am "full" after eating the designated portions (I believe Kendra said something similar) so I stop for fear of getting sick...I don't know if just one more bite will be the one to send me to the toilet!   I guess one advantage is that when I am at work, I am often up and down from my desk to help people, so I don't typically just sit and eat a "meal" all at once except for breakfast... Thanks again to all for your advice...Very helpful for this "rookie!" ~Jenn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views