Prescription Meds

CarolWannabe
on 11/26/07 8:01 am - Pepperell, MA
I am on several medications (the normal blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) but also on coumadin and amiodarone (to keep me from going into A-Fib).  The NP said to just stop taking the coumadin 5 days before surgery and "not to worry about the other ones, as you probably will come off a lot of them after surgery and then if not, just crush them.  They will be pretty nasty but it may only be for a little while".  Has anyone else experienced this ?  I am considering making an appt with my Primary Care Dr. before surgery to discuss this with her.  Someone told me that the NP at the Weight Loss Center should not be the one to take me off ANY meds.  I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing and who should I listen to ???
Girl ..
on 11/26/07 9:06 am - MA

Hi Carol, Dr. Shore took me off my meds, and it was the day after the surgery.  I came off all my diabetic meds and my lipitor.  It was the nurse practitioner who told me what to take or not take before the surgery however.  When you meet with Dr. Jiser before the surgery tell him everything she told you to do.    If you can get in to see yourheart doctor before the surgery or call him/her to double check I would.  Can't hurt!  They willlikely be giving you shots of heperin (sp?) during and possibly after the surgery.  Most people get them and they give you nasty bruises  It helps keep you from developing clots, which you are not going to get because you are going to walk alot. 

How was Thanksgiving!?

Julie

CarolWannabe
on 11/26/07 9:01 pm - Pepperell, MA
Hi Julie, You know me - just freaking ahead of time !!!  LOL  I am going to call my Primary and get in to see her before surgery (just a little reassurance).  Thanks for your input  !  As I have had the angioplasty with stent and then the "heart shocking" issues already I'm a little more nervous than the average person (average person ?  what is that !!!)  I've already started a list of questions for Dr. Jiser !  Carol
ashersmama
on 11/26/07 11:27 am - Andover, MA
Hi Carol! I second everything that Julie has said. When You meet with Dr. Jiser just verify everything with him. When is your pre surgery class scheduled? If it is less than 5 days prior to your surgery (when Lisa told you to stop taking everything) then I would call either your PCP or cardiologist just to be sure. As julie said, you won't be getting clots because you will be up and walking....and walking....and walking some more. They gave me Lovenox shots in the belly everyday while I was in the hospital just to be sure! My offer still stands, if you want a walking buddy the day after your surgery I'll be there! Shana
CarolWannabe
on 11/26/07 9:05 pm - Pepperell, MA
Hi Shana - Again between you and Julie I am so grateful for your support !  Congrats on how good you are doing.  I would love your company while I'm "relaxing" at Hotel/Spa LGH (ha ha).   Carol
ashersmama
on 11/27/07 2:47 am - Andover, MA
To funny! Give me ring when you are getting your mani pedi........I supose you could comsider all the needle sticks accupuncture...LOL
Girl ..
on 11/27/07 7:37 pm - MA
Hey Shana, I planned to be there too, but hadn't told her.  This is going to be a great Christmas Party at LG!  What about Mom, Carol?  Is she coming up too?
CarolWannabe
on 11/27/07 8:35 pm - Pepperell, MA
Hey - I might as well start sending out invitations  !! (LOL)  Everyone is invited and I again Thank everyone for the wonderful support and friends I have made here. Carol
ashersmama
on 11/28/07 1:51 am - Andover, MA
I'll Bring the SF popsicles and Jello!
Girl ..
on 11/29/07 11:13 am - MA
Mmmmmmm Jello!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views