Infection after lap-band surgery

Juice
on 11/22/07 10:53 am
I had lap-band surgery in mid-October.  Less than a week after surgery I developed a serious infection.  I was put in the hospital for a week on 10/30 with fever, chills, 104 temp., diarreha and could hardly stand up.  Here it is Thanksgiving and I still have the infection, even though it is getting better.  I have no idea what caused the infection but I hope it clears up pretty soon!  Has anyone else had a similar situation?
Cindi H.
on 11/22/07 11:09 am - Springfield, MA
I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. I had my
surgery done 1 week ago today and haven't had any
problems so far. Knock on wood. Did Dr. Kasper say
what might have caused it? He was my doctor too.
If you ever need to talk I am here for you. I hope
everything gets better as time goes on and don't let it
discourage you. How has your weight loss gone with
the infection? You will be in my prayers.

Juice
on 11/23/07 10:27 am
Cindi: Despite the infection, and not having my lap-band tightened, I have lost 16 lbs. since my surgery.  I don't have the desire to eat very much.  Four days after my lap-band surgery, I reported to my surgeon's office that about 5" to 6" around my lap-band insertion site was swollen, all red and leaking fluid.  I was told that this is normal because a lot of work was done in the area; so, as a result, no one checked the incision site.  Then, the next thing you know, I had an infection.  Being a diabetic, it probably takes me longer to heal and fight off infection.  At least it is getting better.   Thank you, Cindi, for writing.  
Cindi H.
on 11/24/07 2:42 am - Springfield, MA
Wow Juice, 16 pds. is awesome. I have only lost 5 pds.
since surgery a week and a half ago. Keep up the good
work. I had the same experience at Baystate after my
surgery. They didn't seem to be concerned about me
at all and it took them forever to come in after I called
for them. I was very sick on the stomach and needed
something for the nauseau and all they wanted was for
me to get up and walk the hall. I told them I couldn't I
was too sick but they insisted anyhow. Needless to say
I got sicker than a dog in the hallway and almost passed
out and another doctor on call decided to give me a
phenergan shot. I was quite embarrassed at the whole
process since all I had on was a johnny. They finally
ended up moving me to a private room because the
roommate's family was all there and they were eating
chinese food on top of it. Then it took them an hour and
a half to find someone to wheel me out to my car to go
home. Was not thrilled about it and told them so when
they called me the next day to check on me. Never saw
my doctor after surgery either. Only boyfriend talked to
him. I go to Dr. Keroack at Baystate. Started out with
him at Mercy too. I really miss Maggie who use to work
there. She was very caring and straight forward kind of
gal. I hope everything goes well for you and I am always
here if you need someone to talk to. Best wishes to you.
We will soon look back at all of this and know we did
the right thing. I have had my share of doubts the first
week but I am definitely feeling better about it.

Monica B.
on 11/23/07 5:53 am - Emery, SD

Sorry you got so sick, how awful. Did you have your surgery at Mercy? I did in Dec 04, by Dr.Faillo. I was so thrilled with my care at Mercy. Ann Lynch the nurse sure helped me with my post op care and her loving attitude. I had a partial lung collapse and then got a fever so I stayed in the Bariatric unit for a week. I though the care their was fantastic. I also used Dr.Keroack and his staff at the Mercy Comprehensive Weight Managment group. They are a special staff. Heard that he left and went to Baystate, a loss for Mercy indeed. I was one of the last patients Dr.Faillo did at Mercy. He could not get the other doctors in his practice to attend at Mercy and it got to much for him. He did a wonderful job for me. Good luck on your journey. I am now 11 lbs below a goal I really never expected to attain.  I had PS at Baystate with Dr.Glenn Brooks and Leah Kenney last Sept 06. I am thrilled with my results.

Juice
on 11/23/07 10:39 am
Monica: I had my surgery at Baystate.  The care before surgery was wonderful.  After surgery, my care was terrible.  The nurses didn't seem to know anything about bariatric surgery.  I pretty much was ignored after the initial admittance to my room.   I started off with Dr. Keroack at Comprehensive Weight Management, but he left to start his own practice.  I hear he is very successful and doing very well.   Congratulations on your very successful weight loss!  You look wonderful in your picture. 
Madcow
on 11/23/07 11:15 pm - MA
Is your infection near your port?  I didnt have any infections but there are a few people on the Lapband board who have.  You might want to post there.  From what I've read, it can be a fairly serious situation until it is cleared up. 

240/140/138
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 11/25/07 8:01 am - 128 Belt, MA

My understanding is that you need to be agressive with this treatment.   Not to sound harsh, but time to advocate for yourself and be on the phone tomorrow morning demanding to be seen as well as treated. .  I have heard an infection can ruin the whole lap band/port system.   The advocacy begins now! good luck. Joan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views