Fears and Confidence

niddy21
on 11/21/07 10:49 am - MA
It's just me again...I am feeling pretty confident having the surgery since I have had 2 surgeries (not WLS related) and done beautifully in recovery, no breathing problems, no clots, no reactions to anesthesia or anything so I am anticipating a good outcome. The stories that I hear about people having problems after are good to hear for me because they make you really think about it all. I have been contemplating the surgery for years and have finally made up my mind. The severe side effects seem rare to me...but I still have that twinge that says "I will be that 1 in 1000 that something horrible happens too".  Did anyone else have the same thoughts? Is this normal? I never gave a second thought about having my tonsills removed at 27 years old (OMG pain is not even the word) or having a complete bladder prolapse lift (experimental surgery I was #11 for the surgeon). I am not having second thoughts, I am ready but there is still anxiety about the whole thing. I am young, relatively healthy besides high blood pressure (150/90 generally and not on meds) and some back pain from the weight I carry. I am going to a great facility with very experienced doctors. Any other newbies feeling the same who would like to talk about it, or post-op patients who went through it? Katie
richbrown
on 11/22/07 8:36 pm - Dighton, MA

Hi, I had many second thoughts related to what might happen. After attending meeting, reading stories and hearing from people on this site I finally came to the conclusion that each case is completely different and if you prepare properly and do as directed things should go all right. The only hanging feeling I had left was that I was changing something that was natural and who was I to do that. I did get over that. Now each day (9 days out) seems to be getting better. I am down a total of 28 lbs and feeling better each day. T-Day did not bother me and I even did the cooking without any real frustration. They had pies and I had sugar free pudding, they ate everything and I had a few choice selections blended in my machine (taste was still there). I am just beginning to feel the excitement of my old self. I wish you luck and keep thinking positive. Rich

Cher B.
on 11/23/07 2:29 am - MA
These are definitely normal thoughts. I never had any kind of surgery (except removal of a wisdom tooth) before I had gastric bypass so I really did not know what to expect. The more I read everyone's stories and attended support meetings, the more confident about my decision.  My surgeon is fantastic and I felt so much more at ease after I saw him the week before my surgery. I am thankful to say my recovery was smooth and uneventful. Even after surgery, I thought holy...I really did this.  It is probably the biggest/bravest decision I have ever made and I have no regrets at 6 + months out.  Hang in there.  Drop me a pm if you ever want to talk.
Girl ..
on 11/23/07 11:20 pm - MA

Hi Niddy, I think it is completely normal to have thoughts and concerns when you are making a life changing decision.  I think we all probably did - in some stages probably more than other stages.  I had a few abdominal operations previously - appendix, partial hysterectomy and two C sections.  This was a cake walk in comparison.  Not to say no pain and no healing - just not nearly as much as an open surgical procedure.   I was comforted and helped by many people on the boards, most of whom are on the Massachusetts board because I felt they were in the same state as me.  It was the answers and guidance here that helped me the most to make my decision, prepare for the surgery and be successful. 

Many people are very successful with the surgery and it is likely you "hear or read" more about the problems because people come in for support when they are having trouble.  I went back to work (desk job) two weeks after surgery and have had maybe three issues with trying new food since I got home.  Nothing that I would classify as horrible.  I have to go to dinners and luncheons with some frequency at work and even these events have been fine.  I had Thanksgiving twice focusing mostly on turkey with gravy and having a bit of vegetable, chewed quite a bit, no problems.  I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, sometimes more and have lost about 42 pounds total.  My blood sugars are normal and I have not taken any diabetic meds since the day before the surgery.  Follow the rules, ask people for advice when you feel confused, walk as much as possible and you will do great!  Anxiety is normal in my opinion.  Julie

BradysGirl12
on 12/4/07 2:24 am - Boston, MA
Hey! These feelings are completely normal. I too am young and healthy and am also a little nervous about surgery and being in the hospital. Weird enough for me, I'm not too nervous about the surgery itself ( I really like my surgeon) but I am more nervous about my stay in the hospital. My only other hospital experience was when I was very young with a bladder infection and none of the nurses could find a vein and I had to have my IV through my foot. It was very traumatic, so I am more nervous about the hospital stay itself and being by myself than the surgery. I know I'm weird ...haha but it looks like we're in the same boat! Let me know if you ever want to chat!
              *~ Megs ~*
                Starting: 291  Current: 223  Goal: 140
                      Surgery on Jan 2nd, 2008

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs