Return to work/school

niddy21
on 11/20/07 9:53 am - MA
Hi All,    I know everyone is different but what was the average time you were able to return to work/school? I am planning on taking about 10 days of full recover including inpatient and at home and then returning to 3 classes/twice a week. I will not do my clinical rotation that week of class so I would have a full 2 weeks without any "work" Is this enough? KAtie
ks4
on 11/20/07 10:13 am - Fitchburg, MA
I run a daycare (6-8 kids) out of my house.  I returned home from the hospital on Sunday and my daycare was open on Monday.  In hind sight I would have taken the week off.  I felt fine, just extremely tired. Kendra

ladyr861
on 11/21/07 5:27 am - Tewksbury, MA
I am wondering the same thing, great question!  I am planning on taking 4 weeks.  I am not sure if I will need that long, I may get bored.  On the other hand, I don't want to have the return of work stress until I am fairly used to feeding my new pouch.  By the end of 4 weeks, with my doctor, I will be just finishing the stage 1 liquid diet.  My doctor tells me the average is 4 weeks, but there are some who go to the support group meetings that went back right away.  I think listening to your body, and making sure that you are fully confortable and focused on your new nutritional needs, are the keys to when it is the time to reenter your normal busy life.
CareNH
on 11/21/07 8:23 am - Derry, NH
Hi All- I had my surgery 16 days ago, and fortunately I am feeling great!  The day after I came home from the hospital, I was up driving my kids to school- I too was tired, but not in any pain. I ended up taking a nap each afternoon and early to bed.  The benefit of being home longer is the adjustment to the diet. (and being close to a bathroom when you have gas or runny stools- gross- but it was a reality .) I did not have a problem with the liquid diet for the first 10 days. It was easy and low maintenance.  Now I am on pureed food- and that takes a lot more preparation and thought. At a week post op I was out shopping, working, and doing my usual "mom" stuff around the house. I am down 20 lbs since the day I was discharged from the hospital- and could not be happier with my decision to have this surgery. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress. Carolyn
Chrialg6
on 11/21/07 9:36 am - MA
I had mylap bypass on Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday. I was super tired though.

Starting weight 273

Current weight 162

PlasticRevolution.blogspot.com

hicksene
on 11/29/07 12:27 am - MA
I was wondering the same thing.  I was hoping to have my surgery mid-week, have the weekend off and back to work.  Since I have a desk job, my own office and such, I would have no problem taking a nap or getting to the restroom need be. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views