CIGNA

lexi122
on 11/13/07 11:51 pm - NH
I HAD Anthem and they have paid for everything all thru this process.  As of Monday, I am going to have CIGNA.  Can anyone tell me anything about them.  Any pitfalls I can avoid ??  Any info will be greatly appreciated.........................kathy
txbunny930
on 11/14/07 6:03 am - MA

I've had Cigna for years.  Won the battle with appeals for my WLS but everything else with them has been great.  They just make sure you follow the guidelines when needing approval.

What specifically are you questioning with them?  Coverages?  Is this insurance with your company?  Be specific and I'll try and help direct you.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

lexi122
on 11/14/07 7:51 am - NH
I was told that they require 6 months of MD visits prior to approval.  That would push out my surgery for 6 months.  Not tooooo happy about that.  This has been a long time coming.  THX for your reply.  By your "ticker" you have done great....CONGRATS
txbunny930
on 11/14/07 9:18 pm - MA

If you have been doing any type of supervised dieting, this can be carried over into the 6 months required by Cigna.  What Cigna is looking for, like most insurance companies, is that you are complying with the program. 

6 month supervised diet needs to have all your vitals taken w/a diet and exercise plan documented every month for 6 months.  You cannot skip a month or you have to start over again.  Included in that documentation would be your weight, height, b/p and if you complied with the program prescribed by your PCP.  Also, if you are on any medications for b/p or diabetes, your PCP needs to document any changes.  Your PCP will need to write a letter stating why he/she feels that WLS is necessary for your health.  I went to a nutri for over a year and included my visits w/her as part of my diet program.  The 6 months really do fly by fast and can be used to your advantage because no matter how much we think we're prepared for this, there's more that we should have learned or paid more attention too.

It took me 18 months to get approved and looking back, I'm glad I had that time to prepare myself more.  It's helped me with how I look at food and to change my eatting habits.

Let me know if you have any questions because I thought I was losing my mind when I was dealing with Cigna. 

Make sure YOU document EVERYTHING.  Also, you can request a Case Manager from Cigna to help you with getting WLS.  I finally did and it helped.

My weight loss has slowed down and I'm happy where I am now.  If I do not lose another pound, I'll still be happy because I'm already a success.  I have my health back and my life.

Good luck and know I'm here if you need me.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

marieh
on 11/16/07 10:08 am - So. Easton, MA
I have CIGNA too. They covered IN FULL this very expensive surgery. I was denied the ffirst time but only because my docs' office didn't send everything they needed. They cover my insulin pump expenses too, which are over $500 per quarter.  The only thing I have to cover are my nutrition appts and my docs co-payment.  Call customer service if you have any questions. The folks I dealt with were wonderful once I was approved!!  Marie

joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 11/16/07 11:32 am - 128 Belt, MA
Well..I want a revision. My band or port has a leak and I have no fluid. The cigna I currently carry has an employer dictacted NO Bariatric surgery provision. So ..they won't fix my band nor give me a revision. Best to call and get a reference number when you call. Joan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views