wine, do you? don't you? How far out?

Girl ..
on 11/11/07 1:16 am - MA
Hi Everyone, I am two months out and things are going very well.  I feel good, intorducing food has been great, I work out, etc.  I am not much of a drinker since I was diagnosed with diabetes II 4 years or so ago, but I would normally have a glass or two of wine with Thanksgiving dnner.  I know I can have turkey and vegetables, but I'm not sure if I should sip wine.  Do you ever have a glass of wine?   How far out from surgery were you before you had a glass? Do you dump on it? Any advice or thoughts? Thanks, Julie
LITTLE_OLD_ME
on 11/11/07 7:04 am - FRANKLIN, MA
I don't remember how far out I was when I started drinking wine.  Maybe about 4 or 5 months.  I remember at first it stung my pouch a bit and it made me feel light headed faster and with less wine than before.  Now at 15 months out, I drink it about twice a week.  No dumping and the stinging feeling is gone.
M M
on 11/11/07 9:17 am
Hi there. I like a glass of wine. I didn't try any until about three years out.  Now, I have a glass maybe once every two weeks, or more at weddings/etc. I don't dump on it per se, but it definitely makes me instadrunk, and CAN cause a nasty rebound hypoglycemia, so I am careful.  I sip rarely now.
Girl ..
on 11/11/07 9:59 am - MA
So maybe I should take a pass until New Years Eve.... I will definitely only have a sip or two on the first try.   Thanks for the info...
CCbeachgirl
on 11/12/07 9:50 pm - Taunton, MA
I was very interested in this topic.  I love wine and am an avid collector.  My doctor (Jeannine Giovanni) said to be very careful your first time out.  I like the term "instadrunk".  Dr. G also said to make sure you don't have to drive.  She suggested I wait for at least 4 - 5 months.  My date for surgery is 12/12.  I start my liquid diet on 11/30. I guess I better have party now, while I still can.  Best of luck to you
Bariatric Bella
on 11/19/07 1:45 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Well maybe this will help. You will be a cheap date always. One glass and I am done in. I dont dump on wine but also my doc told me the alcohol goes straight to your liver so our alcohol content in our blood stream is much more stronger than those that have not been altered. But we also sober up in about 20 mins. So just be mindful of how much because the calories are a killer. My doc didnt allow drinking until you where 6 months out and then he said no more than 1 glass because of the issue with it goingt straight to out bloodstream and to the liver. I went to a wine tasting the other night in 5 hours I had only two glasses total of wine. I was always fine as long as I sipped very slowly. Also make sure you have had a good meal of protein before you do try because if the high acid hurts, your pouch might be sore for awhile. Well and if my pouch is achy I drink but have a hard time eating. Amy  RNY NOV 2, 2005 From 390LBS to 220LBS ( 6ft tall)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views