5 days post op and GASSY

CareNH
on 11/10/07 3:56 am - Derry, NH
HI All you post op patients-  This is kind of a weird question, but I put my modesty aside and decided to ask... I had my Bypass on Monday 11/5 and came home from the hospital on Wed 11/7.  I have been following the clear liquid diet protocol to a "T" and was told to add Simply Smart and some Protein Powder as of Friday 11/9.  My problem is that I cannot drink anything without either ending up burping, passing gas or feeling like I have to run to the bathroom.  Is this normal?  I know that they put a lot of air in my system with surgery...is it just trying to escape? How long does this phase last? I am taking my daily pepcid (crushed) and 4 Tums. Is it something about the way I am drinking? Does this improve with time or as I move to pureed diet on 11/16? I am feeling GREAT otherwise- I would love some feedback- or at least an idea of when this might subside. Carolyn
~ Stylz ~
on 11/10/07 12:42 pm, edited 11/10/07 12:44 pm - North of Boston, MA
For most, I'd say the gas goes away, maybe you're having extra gas from the milk in your protein shakes?  that happens to some.  my suggestion would be ask your clinic if you can have chewable gas-x pills.  they're like a pepermint candy and really help!  I still take them from time to time and was allowed to take them right after surgery. hope this helps :) I just came back to edit my post because I noticed you had surgery with Dr. Jiser.  We had the same surgery team :) If you had surgery in Lowell, yes, you're allowed to have the Gas-X chewables.  I would think its the same answer for Emerson patients, but then again, I've been told their guidelines are different than ones in Lowell (even though its the same surgeon group)...  Congrats on becoming a loser

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

sunnymoonx
on 11/10/07 10:30 pm - cape cod, MA
It is very normal to have a lot of gast post op. I had plenty of my own and suffered with horrible plains from it.  I have heard that milk products can cause even more gas in many post-op people. Maybe you can try taking the milk products out of your diet and see if that helps?

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Girl ..
on 11/11/07 1:07 am - MA
Hi Carolyn, Stylz is absolutely correct about the Gas-X.  I have the same team as well, only I go through Emerson in Concord.  I was allowed to have Gas-X immediately after surgery and did also use the product.  Walking and moving as much as possible will also help to alleviate your gas and get your bowels back to "all systems normal".   When I first introduced milk back into my system I noticed a little more of an issue, but in short order your body adjusts.  Gas-X has chewables as well as thin, melt on your tongue strips.  Very minty.  You are in the worst of it all right now.  The first couple of weeks were long.  Good Luck! Julie
CareNH
on 11/13/07 2:42 am - Derry, NH
HI Everyone- I cannot thank you enough for the Gas X suggestion. What a world of difference! I am feeling really good- infact I need to remind myself I am only one week post op sometimes. Thanks for improving my quality of life with such a simple suggestion! Carolyn
CareNH
on 11/21/07 9:39 am - Derry, NH
This is just a test- ticker?

Highest Weight- 306, BMI: 43.9
Current Weight- 168, BMI: 24.1
Goal Weight- 165,  BMI:  23.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views