Need help with Stage 2 Diet

CarolWannabe
on 11/1/07 1:33 am - Pepperell, MA

First time posting - so Hello everyone ! I am awaiting my surgery date and of course nervous but excited at the same time.  I'm hoping I will be able to handle Stage 1 (clear liquids and protein shakes) but believe it or not, I am a very picky eater and need help with the Stage 2 foods.  Does anyone have any suggestions as I don't think I will be able to tolerate everything pureed as the Nutritionist has suggested.  Something about a pureed meatball, chicken or veggies just won't work for me.  I do not like cottage cheese, yogurt or beans.  I could go on and on with what I don't like.  I need to find things that will sustain me through this period.  Thanks for your help ! Carol

txbunny930
on 11/1/07 2:25 am - MA
OMG, you sound like me.  I hated everything and after surgery, it became worse.  I thought I was going to starve to death trying to find something I could tolerate.  I couldn't tolerate Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB) and became lactose intolerant after surgery.  I didn't like cottage cheese, yogart or oatmeal.  Funny, I love some yogarts and oatmeal now, not all of them though. Best thing to do is have a back up plan with your nutri.  I had the email and phone number to reach my nutri during my recovery.  I did eat cottage cheese but added flavoring too it to mask it and I tolerated it pretty good.  I've learned to love beans and like, not love, some yogarts and oatmeal.  Your taste buds will change some.  Remember you can puree soups and they are very good for you.  I wouldn't do meat pureed, something about how it would look would keep me from eating it..... lol

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

scojo58
on 11/1/07 8:55 am - Methuen, MA
I found that soups, mashed potato's, & fat free refried beans were very helpful during the stage 2 phase. 
CarolWannabe
on 11/1/07 11:14 pm - Pepperell, MA
Great to hear about soups as I thought maybe sodium content might be an issue but Nutri. said "no".  Guess this is when you might have to "learn" to like somet hings that have not been liked in the past !!    LOL
CarolWannabe
on 11/1/07 11:09 pm - Pepperell, MA

Thanks for the suggestions !  Just having some other options will help.  Saw the Nutri. yesterday and she is going to submit me to the Insurance Co !   Now just getting the date and everything finalized.  OH MY GOD - I cannot believe I am finally at this point since I began this whole process back in April but I had run into some medical (heart related) problems and had a hospitalization in Aug. which set me back a few weeks.  Once I have my date will need all the support I can receive !

Girl ..
on 11/3/07 12:15 am - MA
Hi Carol, I'm very excited for you that a date is near.  I have some protein shakes (various), unflavored protein, calcium options and two new bariatric cookbooks.  Let's meet up and you can try some stuff, without buying cases of it, and see if we can't dream up some options.  I was ok with yogurt and cottage cheese.  I think soups might be your best bet, pureed.  Incredible as this may seem, eggs can be somehat difficult.  Do you like ricotta cheese? I'll give you a call over the weekend!  Maybe this afternoon. Julie
Martha M.
on 11/4/07 2:16 am - Ipswich, MA

When I was on purees, I made up a homemade beef stew in the crockpot and pureed it.  It was very yummy and the texture really wasn't an issue.  Here's my recipe: 1 1/2 lb   beef roast or stew meat     1/2 ts black pepper       2    garlic cloves; minced     1/2 pk onion soup mix       2 ts worcestershire sauce       1 ts steak sauce       3    carrots; sliced       2    celery stalks; diced       1    green bell pepper; chopped       1    yellow onion     1/2 c  water     1/2 c  tomato juice 1. Cut beef roast into serving-sized portions. Use more beef if you need more than 6 servings. Brown beef in a bit of vegetable oil, although you can skip this step if rushed for time. 2. Slice onion and separate into rings. Dice the peeled carrots, dice the celery and slice the peppers into thin strips or circles. Place these into bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle the beef pieces with fresh ground black pepper, minced garlic and the onion soup mix. Place on top of the vegetables. 3. Mix the steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl with about 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup tomato juice. Pour this over the meat. 4. Turn the crockpot to high for 30 minutes, or, if you're in a hurry, skip this step. Turn to low, cover and cook for 7-9 hours.

----------------------------------------------------        
265/255/149/149   Pre-op/Surg/Current/Goal

CarolWannabe
on 11/4/07 8:46 pm - Pepperell, MA
Martha - Does not sound bad and I do like beef stew.  Will give it a shot ! Thanks - Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views