Protein Shakes... Bariatrix Essentials

Kerri623
on 10/24/07 4:46 am - Medford, MA

I am still in the beginning phase of my weightloss journey, I have begun to undergo all of the pre-op testing and begun a pre-op diet. My surgeon requires a two week liquid fast right before surgery, but ahead of time he wants me to start supplementing at least one meal a day with a protein shake. He strongly recommends Bariatrix Essentials. They're not horrible..... but they are kinda gross. I have the banana and chocolate flavors and I'm barely managing to get them down. These are the protein shakes I will need to be using for awhile after my surgery so I've been trying to experiment with them to help make them taste better and I was hoping some of you may have some advice. If any of you have used the Bariatrix Essentials and have some tips to make them delicious I would love to hear it! Thanks everyone!

rickysbride
on 10/24/07 6:04 am - springfield, MA
Hi there.  The vanilla for me was awful.... I have not tried the bananaa   they take a little geting use to.   but you will get to like them exceptially when that all you can have.       the first two days of the fast are the worst  and the last two before surgery... But it is well worth it.   Dr Sandor need room to work.,   So if it make his job easier and I am off the table sooner .,.. I will drink the shakes.  and be happy... by the way I lost 20 lbs during the 2 weeks fast ..... it also contain everything you need to make you feel good.   
Kerri623
on 10/24/07 10:42 am - Medford, MA
Thats amazing that you lost 20lbs in the two weeks leading up to your surgery!  I have found that I like the banana shakes more than the chocolate but they still have a weird after taste. I guess I just need to experiment making them in the blender with lots of ice!
txbunny930
on 10/25/07 1:53 am - MA
You might want to try Vanilla Unjury mixed with Simply Smart 1% milk.  It'll taste just like a shake and has tons of protein in it.  It's the only protein drink I've been able to tolerate since surgery.  I also add it to my ice coffee as my creamer and sweetner.  The unflavored I add to everything I need to boost my protein up in.  I use a shaker and sprinkle it in my foods (soup, stew, cereal, oatmeal, yogart, etc.).   Good luck on your journey.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

txbunny930
on 10/25/07 1:56 am - MA
One thing to keep in mind that was told but I didn't pay attention too is that your taste buds can or will change.  What I liked before surgery, I couldn't get down after surgery.  Took me 7 months before I could eat any meat and protein drinks were worse.  Like I posted earlier, Unjury was the only one I was able to tolerate.  It doesn't give you that protein after taste. I'm really excited for you with doing this journey.  It's the best thing I ever did for ME.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

sunnymoonx
on 10/25/07 4:40 am - cape cod, MA
I was going to say the same thing. Taste buds can and often times do change after surgery. So be careful about buying too much of one certain kind of protein. I personally  like the GNC chocolate whey protein. It works well for me and i dont mind the taste.

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs