A few questions...sorry

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/07 3:07 am
Revision on 04/17/12
What does having a fill feel like?  Does it hurt really bad??  Do they numb it first?  This is the only part of all of this that  really scares me.  About how long until you are totally back on your feet and able to take care of your kids/babies?  I know every doctor and person is different but I have so many questions still.
ks4
on 10/18/07 4:12 am - Fitchburg, MA
I'm assuming you're talking about the lap band, which I didn't have.  I had the RNY, but.... I had my RNY surgery on a Thursday, got home from the hospital on Sunday, and was taking care of my 4 kids on Monday.  Hope this helps. Kendra

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/07 4:17 am
Revision on 04/17/12
Yes, I was talking about Lap Band...(sorry about that)....and yes your info. does help...Thank you!! 
llibby
on 10/23/07 9:27 am - Shrewsbury, MA
Hi Jenn, I know exactly how you feel!  I was in a total panic before my first fill. First of all it does not hurt at all.  The needle they use is very thin and made specifically to access the port.  My doc has me lay back over a pillow and have me push my stomach out.  He feels for the port, cleans it with alcohol and then injects the port...really it doesn't hurt!! He then draws back to see how much fluid is in the band and then he injects the fill saline into the band. He puts a bandaid over where the needle was. He then has me drink water to make sure it is not too tight. My doctor has me drink carnation instant breakfast drinks for 24 hours then slowly increase to soft foods then solids over the next couple days,  You have to give your stomach a rest after each fill.  Your doc will have rules for you.  There are no physical restictions after a fill just nutritional. I have had a total of 5 fills in almost 2 years.  My last fill was in April and I am at a perfect fill level. You need to be patient with the fills it takes time to get good restriction usually 3-4 fills.   Good luck!  If you have any other questions about the band just ask! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views