New Surgeon At Fallon???

Lauren1979
on 10/15/07 1:06 pm - Holden, MA
Does anyone know anything about this new surgeon Dr. Potter? Hes Dr. Arcands partner, but I never heard of him before my meeting on the 11th. I like knowing as much as I can about a Dr. and it makes me nervous. Can you request a certain Dr.? thanks everyone,,,you're all great. Lauren
obeseforever
on 10/17/07 2:29 am - Agawam, MA
Don't see why not, Lauren, although you may get the old "you can get in to see the new guy sooner" routine. But it should be your right. I used to work for Fallon when I lived up there, and my mom and dad are still patients so I know things haven't changed - you can request any MD that's in network. Good luck, and let me know how you made out!
Kathy

bariatricpt
on 10/18/07 1:11 pm - BOSTON METRO WEST, MA
Hi, Dr. Potter finished his residency 3 years ago (2004) from U Mass.  He is not Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery (that is the one that counts; the Am Board of Medical Specialties  that Potter belongs to is not the proper certifying Board for bariatric surgeons), nor is he Board Certified in Bariatric Surgery. You will have access to  better, more experienced surgeons with special training in Bariatric Surgery if you can get out of Fallon Health Plan.  You should check this link to the Mass. Board of Registration in Medicine:    http://profiles.massmedboard.org/MA-Physician-Profile-View-Doctor.asp?ID=54117 There are lots of well trained bariatric surgeons in Mass. with lots of experience.  Make sure that you get one.  Good luck! P.S.  I copied Fallon's new doc for you below: home online services agencies elected officials help
jump to utilities links above nav bar jump to nav bar jump to right side Search box jump to left side links for I Want To options jump to center column main content * jump to the footer links at bottom of the page Mass.GovTool Menu
Back  |  Home  | How to Read a Profile
Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine Physician Profile
Michael W. Potter, M.D.
     I.            Physician Information                    (The information in sections I - VI has been provided by the physician.)
License Status: Active
License Issue Date: 8/25/1999
Accepting New Patients: Yes
Accepts Medicaid: Yes
Primary Work Setting: Partnership or Group Practice
Business Address: Worcester Medical Center 123 Summer Street Worcester, MA  01608
Phone: (508) 852-0600
Translation Services Available: Trans. Service
Insurance Plans Accepted: Numerous Plans Accepted
Hospital Affiliations: Saint Vincent Hospital at Worcester Med. Ctr. (Active)

II.            Education & Training
Medical School: University of Massachusetts Medical School
Graduation Date: 1997
Post Graduate Training: UMass Memorial Medical Center - General Surgery (7/1/1997-6/30/2004)

III.            Specialty
Area of Specialty: General Surgery

IV.            Board Certifications

American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)

Board Name General Certification Subspecialty
Surgery  Surgery

V.            Honors and Awards
This physician has reported no awards.

VI.            Professional Publications
This physician has reported no publications.

VII.            Malpractice Information
Some studies have shown that there is no significant correlation between malpractice history and a doctor's competence. At the same time, the Board believes that consumers should have access to malpractice information. In these profiles, the Board has given you information about both the malpractice history of the physician's specialty and the physician's history of payments. The Board has placed payment amounts into three statistical categories: below average, average, and above average. To make the best health care decisions, you should view this information in perspective. You could miss an opportunity for high quality care by selecting a doctor based solely on malpractice history. When considering malpractice data, please keep in mind:
  • Malpractice histories tend to vary by specialty. Some specialties are more likely than others to be the subject of litigation. This report compares doctors only to the members of their specialty, not to all doctors, in order to make individual doctor's history more meaningful.
  • This report reflects data for the last 10 years of a doctor's practice. For doctors practicing less than 10 years, the data covers their total years of practice. You should take into account how long the doctor has been in practice when considering malpractice averages.
  • The incident causing the malpractice claim may have happened years before a payment is finally made. Sometimes, it takes a long time for a malpractice lawsuit to move through the legal system.
  • Some doctors work primarily with high risk patients. These doctors may have malpractice histories that are higher than average because they specialize in cases or patients who are at very high risk for problems.
  • Settlement of a claim may occur for a variety of reasons which do not necessarily reflect negatively on the professional competence or conduct of the physician. A payment in settlement of a medical malpractice action or claim should not be construed as creating a presumption that medical malpractice has occurred.
You may wish to discuss information provided in this report, and malpractice generally, with your doctor. The Board can refer you to other articles on this subject.
Dr. Potter has not made a payment on a malpractice claim in Massachusetts in the past ten years.

VIII.            Disciplinary and/or Criminal Actions
  1. Criminal Convictions, Pleas and Admissions: The information in this section may not be comprehensive. The courts are now required by law to supply this information to the Board. Dr. Potter has had no criminal convictions in the past ten years.

2. Hospital Discipline: This section contains several categories of disciplinary actions taken by Massachusetts hospitals during the past ten years which are specifically required by law to be released in the physician's profile. Dr. Potter has no record of hospital discipline in the past ten years.

3. Board Discipline: This section includes final disciplinary actions taken by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine during the past ten years. Dr. Potter has not been disciplined by the Board in the past ten years.

Additional information about a physician, including closed complaints, may be available by calling the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine Phone 617-654-9830 Toll Free Number (Massachusetts only) 1-800-377-0550
Return to Physician Profile Search
Direct questions and comments about these results to Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine 560 Harrison Avenue, Boston MA 02118 Phone 617-654-9800 For direct response please use Email

Please read the Board of Registration in Medicine Disclaimer
Leila M.
on 10/19/07 11:22 am - MetroWest, MA
With all due respect to the previous post, I don't think you can assume that Dr Potter is not ABS certified based on the Mass Med Board Profile website.  I have been searching MD profiles on this website, and all of the bariatric surgeons I have checked only state the ABMS cert, with Surgery listed under the Board.  And Bariatric Surgery is not one of the listed specialties you can choose on the menu, so they are all listed as general surgery. I would suggest checking your surgeon's background by meeting and interviewing him, and also calling the Mass Med Board directly for credentials Good luck with your search!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views