Cardiologist approval!

ashersmama
on 9/28/07 1:17 pm - Andover, MA
My PCP doesn't work out of the hospital that I am planning to have my surgery at so I am using the cardiologist for final approval - that I am healthy enough for surgery. I had my appointment today and he said that I am fine for surgery and that he will send the letter to my surgeon today! I only have one appointment left with nutritionist and then I will be submitted to insurance. I have to lose 12 pounds by october 15 - not sure how I am going to do that, but if i want to be submitted to insurance after that appointment I need to meet the 5% weight loss that my program and i guess insurance requires. Any ideas?
CareNH
on 9/28/07 11:13 pm - Derry, NH
Hi There- I too am using Dr. Jiser and had to list Dr. Malins as my PCP- (since I live in Derry, NH, he will cover me for the procedure in MA). I love the LGH program and have complete confidence in all of the doctors and staff at the program. I have had all tests but the Sleep Study scheduled for Oct 9th. I am hoping to get approval before the end of Oct.  I wonder how quickly the procedure is scheduled after the approval? I have been trying to walk while my kids are at school (K and 1st grade). I must say, I was doing great with the protein shakes and lost about 11 lbs- but I have gained some back (3) after falling into the "this might be my last...." syndrome. I need to get back on track and start measuring my food again. I have a HARD time with the food journalling.  I am excited to see another LGH'er on the forum! Good Luck and maybe I'll see you at a support group- Carolyn
Girl ..
on 9/29/07 12:45 am - MA
Hello, I work with the same group, only I went through Emerson in Concord.  Try having a protein shake in lieu of one meal a day.  Cut out carbs completely.  12 pounds is nothing.  I had to lose 13 and it was easy - short term! Dr. Jiser will not be putting you on a 2 week liquid diet pre-op, so if you feel like you wanted to have certain things before surgery you will have time between your approval and 2 days before surgery.  I would not suggest overeating then, just have a few foods you might miss.  Dr. Jiser will have you on a liquid only, bowel prep the day before surgery.  You will be given a liquid and have to be near a bathroom that whole day, so no work.   Good Luck! Julie
ashersmama
on 9/29/07 3:07 am - Andover, MA
Thank You for your info. How are you doing Post Op? I am not worried about losing the weight just getting it off by my next nutritionist appointment on the 15th. I am doing one shake in place of breakfast, hopefully that will help. I am going to up my exercise as well! Thanks again!
Girl ..
on 9/29/07 9:05 am - MA
I'm doing well post op, thanks.  I walk alot.  It really helps get the blood moving and thus the oxygen to your wounds for healing.  And I can't tell you how much it helps keep the bowels moving.  I think Dr Jiser was the attending surgeon when Dr. Shore did my surgery.  They always have two in the operating room.   I know you can lose the wieght, let's face it - we've all yo-yo'ed for years.  Try to eat what the nurtritionist asks you to.  It will help you deal with the clear-creamy-mushy stages you have to endure for one month post-op. I never thought in my life I would be dying for an egg scrambled with cheese.    Also - I generally use the Designer Whey Protein drinks.  But I felt so bloated from all the liquid when I got home that those heavier shakes made me feel worse.  I went to GNC and got some pre-made Kool-aid type Isopure protein drinks; different flavors for variety. I drink 12-13 ounces with ice and have only one Designer Shake.  I won''t continue long-term, just until more of my protein comes from food (they're expensive too).  But they are lighter then other shakes so I felt less bloated.   Final tip that Charlie passed on to me and I will to you.  Get a chicken and make homemade chicken broth right bfore your surgery.  Take the chicken and freeze it in 3 ounce containers for later use (adding a bit of broth for moisture).  You will be thankful to have homemade broth when you are in liquid only stages.   Good Luck with the 12 pounds! And getting a date. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views