grocery shopping and last minute stuff

Girl ..
on 9/16/07 2:35 am - MA
Hi everyone, I have surgery scheduled for Tuesday moring, so I am getting all my last minute stuff together.  I have sf jello and some pre-made clear protein drinks ( I can't stand the idea of a chocolate protein shake with water).  I want to get some chicken broth, and have been considering getting some chicken to put in a pot to make my own, because I don't usually drink chicken broth. Is there any pre-made stuff you would suggest? Any words of wisdom or things you had "wished you knew then",  would be greatly appreciated today. You have all been wonderful resources and I appreciate your help over the last few months.  I'm kind of jittery this week, but I have no regrets about my decision. Thanks, Julie
shannewc
on 9/16/07 4:06 am
Hi, Julie, Just to let you know you can have skim milk. I l really am getting by on jello, pudding cream of wheat and putting fruit in the blender with my protein mix along with some skim milk and ice. get some potatoes you can have whipped potatoes milk, butter, potatoe whipped (on the milky side) sugar free pops and the best.sugar free hot cocoa.   Good luck   Shannon
Girl ..
on 9/16/07 1:43 pm - MA
Thanks very much!  I really prefer the chocolate protein shakes over the kool-aid-y type.   You sound like you are doing VERY well!  Congrats!
Marianne978
on 9/16/07 2:06 pm - Metrowest, MA
Hi Julie,  here are few things I lived on in the beginning. Light Yoplait yogurt cottage cheese with onions Campbells cream of broccoli soup (loved this) Egg Beaters Smoothies - Just got fresh fruit and would blend it with low fat milk)  Simply Smart Fat free milk is awesome and I couldnt tell it was Fat free Peanut Butter SF Jello bananas Crystal light ( I would make jugs of it and drink all day) Crushed ice was nice if you have an ice machine I constantly had the feeling that needed to crunch so someone recommended I try saltine crackers and I did and i was fine...I was just chew them to much but I would spread everything and anything on them....haha Just remember to always chew chew chew! Hope this helps
ks4
on 9/17/07 4:23 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hello... I'm 3 weeks out and lost 20 lbs so far.  This is what I've been doing: Dannon Light & Fit Yogart Cottage Cheese (comes in a four pack) Carnation Instant breakfast (the blue package) Skim Milk Egg Beaters Cream of Wheat (PLAIN), but I add some splenda and cinnamon V8 Slim Fast w/2 net carbs...vanilla or chocolate Sugar free Hot Cocoa Home made smoothies (recipe from NWH) Home made broccoli/cheese soup (recipe from NWH) Home made clam chowder (recipe from NWH) FF refried beans with FF Shredded Cheese & FF sour cream (tastes like nachos without the chips...it's very yummy) Whipped potatos...use skim milk and Promise light butter Cambells healthy request Tomato soup And I've been making healtier dinners for the family with no sugar and no fat and I just blend up a portion for me in my magic bullet.  Tastes the same, just doens't look the same.  I've made grilled chicken, baked potatos and summer squash.  I blended them all seperately and had dinner with the family.  Same thing with meatloaf (I use 97% FF ground turkey) and had that with potatos and carrots.  Just blended. Hope this helps.  Good Luck! Take Care, Kendra

ks4
on 9/17/07 4:27 am - Fitchburg, MA
Oh, I forgot... I also have been having SF jello, and SF chocolate/mint pudding (this is heaven).  Also breyers makes some SF ice cream pops (they're vanilla with a chocolate shell) very tasty, but you've got to eat the ice cream super slow! ttyl, Kendra
scojo58
on 9/19/07 7:08 am - Methuen, MA
Hi there,  I'm a week out (Sept 10th).  I've been getting by on Atkins protein shakes, Carnation Instant Breakfast, Isopure mixes, crystal light, puddings, popsicles, broth, and jello.  Kendra, could you share the recipies you mentioned. Thanks, Joanne
ks4
on 9/19/07 10:41 am, edited 9/19/07 10:41 am - Fitchburg, MA
The following are recipes that I received from the staff at NWH.  I haven't tried all of them yet. General Milkshake Recipes There is more than one way to make a highly nutritious milk-based sahke depending on your personal needs and taste.  You can add any combination of the following ingredients to make a milkshake that suits your mood: Basic Milk Ingredient: (use any of the following as a base) 1 package of sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast..........70 Cal, 6 Protein 1 cup of skim milk..........90 Cal, 6 Protein 1 cup Lactaid 100 or soy milk (for lactose intolerance*)..........100 Cal, 8 Protein 1/3 cup dry powdered skim milk (need to add water)..........80 Cal, 8 Protein *For lactose intolerance, you can buy the Lactaid tablets or the liquid drops (available at your local drugstore) and add them to the above listed products.  Also, available online is Revival Soy (a soy-based protein shake).  Just log onto www. revivalsoy.com To add additional protein to your shake: 1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese.........50 Cal, 7 Protein 1/3 cup dry skimmed milk powder.........80 Cal, 8 Protein 1 Tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter.........100 Cal, 4 Protein 2 ounces to****oybean curd).........41 Cal, 4 Protein 1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurg.........50 Cal, 6 Protein 1/4 cup liquid Egg-Beaters (do not use fresh eggs-risk of salmonella).........30 Cal, 6 Protein To add flavors, you can add the following ingredients: 1/2 cup of any fruit.........60 Cal, 0 Protein (i.e. banana, strawberries, blueberries, canned unsweetened pineapple, peaches, fruit ****tail, etc.) 1 Tbsp. plain cocoa powder and 1 packet artificial sweetener..........25 Cal, 1 Protein Extracts: vanilla extracts liven up most milkshakes.........0 Cal, 0 Protein ~Almond extracts are good in chocolate and vanilla ~Orange extracts are tastey in chocolate flavor drinks ~Rum and coconut extracts are good in vanilla drinks You can also add sweeterner such as Splenda, Sweet n Low, Equal, or Sugar Twin to taste. Special Notes: In order to make a cold shake, you need to add ice cubes until the desired consistency is reached.  You could also use frozen frute (bananas or berries) instead of ice cubes. Enjoy!!! Smoothie Recipes Portable Instant Breakfast 1 envelope of sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast 1/2 cup dry nonfat dry milk (Carnation) 1 cup cold water Combine dry ingredients in a small plastic bag and seal until ready to use.  When ready to serve, place dry ingredients in glass, add water and stir.  Makes 1 serving. Peach Wheat Germ Shake: 1 medium peeled peach 1/4 cup wheat germ 1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt 1 crushed ice cube cinnamon to taste Mix all ingredients in blender for 30 seconds.  Makes 2 cups. Fruit ****tail Whip: 1 cup unsweetened fruit ****tail with 3 Tbsp. of its own juice 1/2 cup powdered skim milk 1 cup crushed iced cinnamon or mint to taste Blend fruit ****tail and juice.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Makes 2 cups. Peanut Butter Shake:  (I tried this one, it's not too bad) 1/4 cup powdered skim milk 3 crushed ice cubes 1 package of artificial sweetener 1/2 banana 1/2 cup skim milk 1 tsp. imitation vanilla 2 Tbsp peanut butter Blend powdered skim milk with the milk.  Add peanut butter and blend until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  Makes 1 cup. Banana Nog: 1 large banana 1 package of artificial sweetener  2 Tbsp. powdered skim milk 1/2 cup Egg-Beaters 1/2 cup water Combine all ingredients in blender and mix well.  Makes 1-1/2 cups. Frothy Egg Nog: 1/4 cup Egg-Beaters 1/2 cup skim milk 3  ice cubes 1 tsp imitation vanilla 1 envelope sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast nutmeg and cinnamon to taste Whip together at a high speed for 15 seconds.  Makes 1 cup. Breakfast in a Glass: 1/2 cup skim milk 1/4 cup Egg-Beaters 1/2 cup fresh fruit 1 package of artificial sweetener Combine all ingredietns in blender and mix well.  Chill. Mocha Shake: 1/2 tsp. instant coffee 1/4 cup powdered skim milk 1/4 cup ho****er 5 crushed ice cubes 1 envelope sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast-Chocolate flavored Dissolve coffee crystals in ho****er.  Add to blender with remaining ingredients.  Mix until smooth.  Makes 1 cup. Creamy Carnation Instant Breakfast: 1/2 cup skim milk 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese 1 envelop esugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Chill. Yogurt Shake: 3/4 cup frozen fruit 1 tbsp 100% fruit juice 1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt Combine all ingredietns in blender and mix until smooth.   Makes 1 serving. Tomato and Yogurt Shake: 1 cup tomato juice 1 tsp lemon juice 1 cup plain, low fat or non fat yogurt 1/4 tsp fresh, grated ginger Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Tropical Refresher: 1 banana 1 cup plain, low fat or non fat yogurt 1 (8 ounce) can of unsweetened pineapple, drained Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Orange Milk Shake: 1 cup orange juice 1/4 cup powdered skim milk 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup water Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Fruit Shake: 1/2 cup skim milk 2 ripe bananas, pear or peaches 1/4 tsp cinnamon 2 tbsp powdered skim milk 1 tbsp 100% apple juice Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Breakfast (or anytime) Protein Shake: 2 scoops of chcolate Designer Whey Protein 2/3 cup skim milk 1/2 cup no sugar added low fat ice cream or frozen yougurt 1/2 banana or 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Jeanine's Sugar-Free Banana Milk Shake: 1 frozen banana 3/4 cup skim milk 1 package of artificial sweetener nutmeg to taste. Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Serve Immediately.  Makes 1 serving. Banana Milk Shake: 1 ripe banana 3/4 cup skim milk 1/4 cup orange juice 1 cup low fat or non fat yogurt Combine banana, juice, and milk in blender and mix until smooth.  Stir in yogurt.  Chill if desired.  Makes 1 serving.

ks4
on 9/19/07 11:10 am - Fitchburg, MA
The following are recipes that I received from the staff at NWH.  I haven't tried all of them yet. Soups Clam Chowder with Corn 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can of condensed cream of celery soup (98% fat free) 1 (8 ounce) can of kernel corn                 1 (7 ounce) can of minced clams 1/4 cup powdered skim milk                    1/2 cup skim milk 2 tbsp margarine                                     dash of black pepper Place corn, clams (with liquid) and the soup into a blender.  Mix on high speed until smooth.  Pour into saucepan.  Add milk, powdered milk, margarine and pepper.  Heat slowly until the margarine is melted and the soup is hot.  Makes 5 cups. Hamburger Vegetable Soup 1 lb lean ground beef                              1/2 cup chopped cabbage 1/2 cup chopped onion                           1/2 cup chopped carrots 3 cup water                                           1/4 tsp black pepper 1-1/2 tsp salt                                         1 (8 ounce) can of tomatoes 1/4 cup chopped celery                                (or 2 fresh tomatoes) 1/2 cup cut up cauliflower                       1/8 cup uncooked rice 1/2 cup cut up broccoli Brown hamburger and onions.  Drain off grease and place mat and onions on paper towel.  Pat dry to remove extra grease.  Place the mixture and the remaining ingredients in a 3-4 quart saucepan.  Simmer until all the vegetables are tender.  Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth.  Makes 8 cups. Garden Cooler  (I tried this and it was NASTY!) 2 tomatoes, peeled and quartered           2 tbsp wheat germ 5 radishes, trimmed and sliced               salt and pepper to taste 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced            dill weed (optional) Place all ingredients in blender.  Mix on high speed until smooth.  Makes 1 serving. Vichyssoise 1 (10-1/4 ounces) can of frozen, condensed cream of potato soup, thawed 1 (10-3/4 ounces) can of cream of chicken soup (98% fat free) 2 cups skim milk 1/4 cup powdered skim milk chopped chives (optional) Place all ingredietns in blender and mix until smooth.  Place in a covered bowl and chill 4 hours or overnight.  Stir or blend again before serving.  Makes 5 cups. Broccoli Cheese Soup  (I tried this and it's pretty good) 1 (10 ounce) package of frozen broccoli 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese (American or Cheddar) 1/2 cup boiling water 1 tsp salt 1 quart skim milk 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 1/8 tsp pepper Cook broccoli in water and salt until tender.  Place broccoli, liquid, and onion in blender and mix until smooth.  Place mixture in saucepan with remaining ingredients.  Heat slowly until cheese is melted.  Serve hot.  Top each serving with 1 tsp margarine and stir.  Makes 6 cups.

Cher B.
on 9/17/07 6:35 am - MA
After surgery I enjoyed: cottage cheese scrambled eggs ricotta and tomato sauce (canned so it doesn't have seeds and sugar)  This was my favorite. I made my own chicken broth and pureed the chicken after and put that into the broth I also did some protein shakes.  Having some lactaid on hand if you want to make shakes my be a good idea.  I had a hard time with lactose intolerance if I had a full serving of milk.  The sweet stuff did not appeal to me very much and that is why I did things like the sauce and ricotta. I'm not sure if your program is different but I was able to have pureed food when I got home.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views