It's not moving

ks4
on 9/10/07 1:05 pm - Fitchburg, MA
I'm 2-1/2 weeks post op and I lost 12 lbs my first week, now the scale isn't moving.  I've been stuck at the same weight for a week now.  I'm eating next to nothing...how can I not be losing weight???!!! Kendra
DDBEAR458
on 9/10/07 9:20 pm - WORCESTER, MA
HEY THERE.  HONEY, YOUR ONLY 2 1/2 WEEKS OUT.  BE PATIENT.  I KNOW IT'S HARD.  WE WHO HAVE HAD THE SURGERY KNOW.  BUT PLEASE BE PATIENT.  YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T STRAY FROM YOUR BLENDED DIET.  LISTED TO THE DOCTORS.  YOU MUST HEAL YOUR INSIDES!   REMEMBER....YOU DIDN'T GAIN THIS WEIGHT OVERNIGHT, SO YOU CERTAINLY WILL NOT LOSE IT OVERNIGHT EITHER.  STOP BEING SO HARD ON YOURSELF.  STOP LOOKING AT THE CLOCK WHEN YOUR EATING.  JUST LIVE.   DON'T GET ON THE SCALE EITHER.  THESE ARE JUST SOME SUGGESTIONS.  I DON'T OWN A SCALE SO I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I'VE LOST UNTIL I GO TO THE DOC.  SO FAR, IT'S BEEN 75 LBS.  YOU WILL GET THERE.  ANOTHER THING.  IF YOU THINK YOUR EATING TOO FAST., IT'S UP TO YOU TO LEARN FROM THAT EXPERIENCE.  NOTHING WE SAY WILL CHANGE YOU FROM DOING THAT.  IN THE BEGINNING, I GULPED WATER DOWN (I COULND'T SATISFY MY THIRST) AND OMG.  THE WATER HAD NO WHERE TO GO AND IT WAS STUCK IN MY THROAT.  OF COURSE, I GOT SCARED AND NEVER DID THAT AGAIN.
marieh
on 9/10/07 9:54 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi Kendra, I'm having the exact same thing happen to me. In almost 40 days post-op, my weight hasn't moved since the first two weeks. I was told this is a fluid shift. What that means is that the fluids we're taking in (that we desperately NEED to function) are shifting to areas of hte body to keep from losing them. It's our body's way of telling the brain it's in starvation mode. We went from eating whatever and whenever to eating nothing solid at first to small portions. '' At our WLS group meeting last night I asked this very question and had NO problem admitting my frustration.  I was told to be patient, we've got the rest of our lives for this to happen. Admittedly its' not fast enough for either of us, but face it, we don't  have a choice. I threw out my scale because I was living on it and couldn't stand how upset I'd get when it didn't move.  As a friend told me, you had surgery on your stomach, not your brain. It takes awhile for the brain to catch up to the new stomach.  Right now we're in the beginning stages of this. I feel better since throwing away the scale, and figure that by default if nothing else, this WILL (HAS TO) COME OFF. So I'll let my body do it's thing in its' own time.  Because I have little to no control over it just yet. It's got to adjust too.   If you're exercising, don't overdo it...do your 30 to 40 minutes a day.  We're in this together, and if you want to email me privately, feel free!   Marie It WILL come off of both of us!! You're NOT alone in this.

txbunny930
on 9/11/07 12:40 am - MA
Throw the scale away.  Easily said then done, I know.  The weight will come off.  There are times your body will play catch up because you're losing so fast.  When that happens, you'll see inches, not pounds coming off.  It's how your body adjusts to losing the weight so fast.  My weight loss slowed at 6 mo but it keeps coming off.  There are times I'll go 2 or 3 weeks and not see the scale move but the clothes do not lie as they continue to get smaller.  Do not be concerned as to how fast you lose, just know you will lose.  Each loses at a different rate.  So concentrate on getting in your protein, water and exercise daily.  Those 3 things will keep you losing and healthy.  Eating on a schedule will help you in the long run so use this time to set up a time for when you are eating and not going back to bad habits.  This will also keep you from grazing, which can be a hard habit to break if started.  I eat on a schedule and try hard to stick to it.  There are times I'm on the run so I make sure I keep protein bars, an individual bag of peanuts or string cheese in my purse.   You'll do well and good luck on your journey.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

ks4
on 9/11/07 3:21 am, edited 9/11/07 3:21 am - Fitchburg, MA
Thanks to all of you for your input.  I did lose two pounds overnight...yay!  I don't think I can throw my scale away.  And I know I shouldn't stray from the blended diet.  I've only done this a few times, and the few times I did...I chewed everything to a puree.  Two more weeks until diet advancement.  I'm a very impatient person, so this is tough, but I'll manage.  It's nice to know that there are others going through the same thing. Kendra
Cher B.
on 9/11/07 3:22 am - MA
I had a stall somewhere in the 2 or 3 week period also.  The way that I had to look at it was I couldn't be eating any more or less than I was so I would just have to be patient.  You WILL lose weight...it isn't easy to be patient.  Just keep following the rules and it the numbers on the scale will follow.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views